Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Teenager Qualifies for U.S. Open Golf

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Who cares where he's from. I'm sticking a fiver on him in the Open!

1000-1 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

1000-1 :)

Surely worth a small bet at those odds!

Surely worth a small bet at those odds!

Not really jonny :D

Qualifying is a major achievement in its self.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

nkay1985 wrote: »
    If he considers himself to be from Waterford, who are any of us to tell him he's wrong! Ridiculous!
    We're Waterford born and bred, so we can tell him he's wrong if we want. If he wants to say he's from Waterford because he lived here during his childhood leave him off, but he's not. Not that it really matters anyway. If he can help promote the name of Waterford around the world then fair play to him.

It's like the millions of other Americans who consider themselves Irish, and then you ask them where they are from and they say "oh my great gran-pappy was from Iiiire Land"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Must say my husband won the DHL Junior World Championship in 1995 and he is a clare man born and bred. It was on sky sports and he was even in The Star.

He has now started our 10 year old lady golfing.

If you want a good bet, try kinsale king riding in the golden jubilee in ascot, he won the in Dubai and his trainer is a clare man born and bred.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

gscully wrote: »
    Tell ya what...if he makes the cut, he's from Waterford. If he misses the cut, he's American. If he wins it, no doubt he's from Dublin :rolleyes:

British.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

It's like the millions of other Americans who consider themselves Irish, and then you ask them where they are from and they say "oh my great gran-pappy was from Iiiire Land"?

no its not, his parents and extended family are irish he lived here for nearly all of his childhood and considers himself to be what all his family are ..irish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Must say my husband won the DHL Junior World Championship in 1995 and he is a clare man born and bred. It was on sky sports and he was even in The Star.

He has now started our 10 year old lady golfing.

If you want a good bet, try kinsale king riding in the golden jubilee in ascot, he won the in Dubai and his trainer is a clare man born and bred.

You want us to put lots of money on your hubby's horse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Better off putting it on a hobby horse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

We're Waterford born and bred, so we can tell him he's wrong if we want.

Just because we're from here doesn't mean we get to tell someone that they are or are not from here. It's not our call. If he spent all his learning years here (and most of his life thus far) and considers himself from here, that's good enough for me.

Anyway, you're from Tramore, so what's it got to so with you? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Defo not my hubby's horse. But the trainer is a relative through marriage ( now lives in the usa), kinsale king is an ok bet. We were told to put an each way bet on him. Think his a better bet than the Waterford lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

why put this in a thread which is mainly people talking about a lads golfing exploits and being/not being from waterford?hardly has any revelance unless the horse is from the top of the town

Defo not my hubby's horse. But the trainer is a relative through marriage ( now lives in the usa), kinsale king is an ok bet. We were told to put an each way bet on him. Think his a better bet than the Waterford lad.

:pac: You're comparing the chances of a horse at 12/1 to a young amauteur whose odds are 1000/1 and just glad to be there playing against the best golfers in the world at Pebble beach :eek: :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

SUNGOD wrote: »
    no its not, his parents and extended family are irish he lived here for nearly all of his childhood and considers himself to be what all his family are ..irish
    Technically he is not really from Waterford but anyway like I said it doesn't matter too much, I was only replying to the thread in the first place coz it wrecks me head the way some Americans claim they're Irish when they're not. But I just listened to the radio interview with him, and he sounds like he's from Waterford anyway.
    gscully wrote: »
    Anyway, you're from Tramore, so what's it got to so with you? :p
    Tramore is in Waterford :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Technically he is not really from Waterford
    Why not? There's a Waterford in New York state too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

Nolanger wrote: »
    Why not? There's a Waterford in New York state too :D

Theres a Waterford, Connecticut too.....but who gives a flyin fcuk annyway....the kid shot a freakin 65 on the last day to tie for a spot in a great tourney....at an AWESOME place. If I'm playin in a good drinking outing I could shoot that on the front 9!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Just said on WLR that he will play under the Irish flag next week and wants to represent Great Britain and Ireland in the Walker Cup unlike Rory McElroy who has stated he wants to represent Great Britain in the Olympics.

Some of the comments on here are typical of Waterford begrudgery. The lad is obviously a proud Waterford and Irishman - all his family are from here and he was raised here so why wouldn't he? I have cousins born and bred in England and everyone of them have Irish passports.

Would ayone on here call Paul McGrath English because he was born in London or David O'Leary English because he was born there as well or Ronan O'Gara American because he was born in San Diego? I could go on but you get my point.

jimbojazz wrote: »
    Just said on WLR that he will play under the Irish flag next week and wants to represent Great Britain and Ireland in the Walker Cup unlike Rory McElroy who has stated he wants to represent Great Britain in the Olympics.

Some of the comments on here are typical of Waterford begrudgery. The lad is obviously a proud Waterford and Irishman - all his family are from here and he was raised here so why wouldn't he? I have cousins born and bred in England and everyone of them have Irish passports.

Would ayone on here call Paul McGrath English because he was born in London or David O'Leary English because he was born there as well or Ronan O'Gara American because he was born in San Diego? I could go on but you get my point.

Golf just like rugby and Boxing is a 32 county sport in Ireland. Mcllroy has already played under the green white and orange of Ireland at last years world cup. I'm sure if Mcllroy is good enough to be chosen in 6 years he'll have seen the light by then ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Golf just like rugby and Boxing is a 32 county sport in Ireland. Mcllroy has already played under the green white and orange of Ireland at last years world cup. I'm sure if Mcllroy is good enough to be chosen in 6 years he'll have seen the light by then ;)

http://www.irishcentral.com/sport/Irish-golfer-Rory-McIlroy-says-hed-play-for-Britain-in-Olympics.html

jimbojazz wrote: »

Was well aware of that the history thanks. All i'm saying 6 years is a long way away. 20 year olds can some out with some naive stuff. By time it comes around he may have already won a world cup for Ireland and will know where his bread was buttered ;)
    Anyway it's all off topic really.
    Best of luck to the Irish 19 year old next week :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 urhavinalaugh

Look if he makes the cut it will be brilliant for him and his family ,and who knows , if that happens he will have done the country proud .;)

Rightly or wrongly it looks like he's playing with the stars and stripes beside his name.

It's been changed over night, green white and orange beside his name now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I just stuck €6 on him to finish top 20. €400 back! Best of luck to the young fella. Nice to see someone flying the flag for Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 bluestripe

Nice quote from him in today's Irish Times:

...Phelan, a son of former Irish squash champion John, was born in New York when his father was a professional coach in the Big Apple but moved to Waterford as a toddler and was first introduced to golf at Waterford Castle under the junior programme conducted by Tom O’Leary: “I’ve great memories of my time there, the junior programme at the club was unbelievable.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2010/0617/1224272698721.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Pittens wrote: »
    3 is the same as 0, since nobody remembers anything much before their 3rd bday. So ignore where he was born. Went to pre-school, primary, and some secondary in Ireland.

So is Waterford lad.

Which schools?
    deisemad10 wrote: »
    He lived from age 3 - 12 here in ireland and the last 8 years in usa ,hes def a yank just listen to this video ,regardless its a great achievment for the lad .

http://www.rte.ie/sport/golf/2010/0608/phelank_av.html

But 19-5=14
    The article says he moved to the US 5 years ago.

So he spend 9 (formative) years in Waterford, and 8 (less formative) in the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I wasn't going to get involved with this stupid argument of where the young lad is from but his is the brass tax of it IMO.

If the lad was saying he was from the states and we were on here saying he was fom Waterford you could understand the debate because you just can't go around claiming people are from a certain place.

Now, IIRC he young lad says he's from Waterford ya? Then who the he'll is anyone to say he's not from here? Jesus like I wasn't born in Waterford but I have lived here for 25 years or when I was 9 months old. Does that mean I'm not from Waterford?

Fact is, if the kid says he is from somewhere be it Waterford, the states or the bloody moon that is where he is from. People who have never even met him don't have a valid opinion.

Now it would be nice for the remainder of the weekend for his break into the big-time that we dump this begrugery bull**** and wish him luck and put up his scores etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Ah now, he's definitely not from the moon! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

He's teeing off about half nine tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

My older lad was born in London and moved back here when he was 15 months, we consider him to be from Waterford and he's very proud to be from Waterford, he doesn't have any memories of life in London.

I wish this young man the best of luck.

Advertisement