Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bin standing charge - who is liable?

Options
  • 08-06-2010 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Regarding a bin standing charge - who is legally obliged to pay this?

The landlord or the tenant?

We are tenants in the Dublin City Council area and the standing charge is €96 per annum with €6 per lift after that. Seeing as though tenants don't know how long they may be around etc, should they be expected to foot this?

http://www.dublincity.ie/WaterWasteEnvironment/Waste/Pages/WasteCharges.aspx

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Whoever wants to put rubbish out.

i.e. the tenant

(unless specified otherwise in lease)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

do you mind me asking is that your opinion or is that written anywhere? Not being smart by the way...

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

Yes teh tenant - very few landlords are going to pay bills for you! In a house share it might be different. also look around there are cheaper places than teh council if you dont want to use them (in swords anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

Don't worry I don't expect 'bills' as such to be paid...I'm not that stupid. It's just that I hadn't come across it before...at all the other houses I rented I would have paid for bin tags or whatever each time I wanted them lifted, which is grand obviously.

With this place, you pay an annual standing charge of 100 quid, plus 6 euro for each lift. It just rankles a bit having to shell out for a full year if I might be gone in 7 months when the lease expires - basically paying the next tenant's/landlord's bin charges, so I just thought it was a bit of a grey area. Jaysus knows dough is tight enough...

For me there's a certain parallel between these type of charges and say, management fees in an apartment block - which would never be levied on tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

you should be able to buy for 6 months at a time - you can in fingal anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

IMO the tenants pay. I had a similar situation when I lived in D6 in a house share. It was split among the tenants.

Advertisement