Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Persuasive/argumentative

Options
  • 08-06-2010 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

I'm getting scared for paper one tomorrow :(
    Hope everyone is alright!

Will we be guaranteed a speech?
    Its the only style of writing that I'm good at and have studied.

Hope there will be something along those lines in the section Bs too. Is there usually?

Comments

Yeah there's generally 2 story options and the rest discursive, either formal/informal speech or a personal essay. Occasionally there's diary entries.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

Not sure, I'm in the same boat as you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Not sure, I'm in the same boat as you!!

Looking at past papers it seems that we will definitely be getting a speech in the essay section. :)

Section Bs not so promising :confused:
    Mix of diaries, letters, articles. Where is my short speech?

Victoria. wrote: »
    Looking at past papers it seems that we will definitely be getting a speech in the essay section. :)

Section Bs not so promising :confused:
    Mix of diaries, letters, articles. Where is my short speech?

As long as the speech is based on something of my knowledge I'll be ceart go leor!!

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

Is a speech like a personal essay? Could you write the same thing?

• Advertisement

Not really, speech is a speech directed at someone, essay is like a story you tell??

Bad explanation, I know!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭MariaBabii

A letter has come up every year in either part B's! If you go through the paper, there is always a letter! So maybe know the layout :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭fauxshow

The letter is often the same principle of a speech - you're writing a letter to the editor complaining, or writing a letter the judges of photography competition to recommend the winner etc. so you're ARGUING something and using persuasive language. There will be something in the Section B utilising those skills it might just not be a speech. Likewise in the Essay - there's always a speech as far as I can remember, but the personal essay is opinion-based and the magazine article option etc are often related to using persuasive/argumentative speech, so don't get thrown off. Best of luck to everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Rich1691

I've heard a Report might come up in part B but dont take my word on that;)

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Was fine :)
    Feel like such an idiot for worrying.
    I did the radio talk on the importance of books and the graduation speech!
    Very happy!

• Advertisement
Advertisement