Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cultural Context Essay Structure

Options
  • 08-06-2010 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

My essay follows these headings:

Introduction (def. of C/C, Name Texts, Very Brief Summary)

Setting/Society

Key Changes in Setting/Society

Family (Role of Characters, Patriarchal Society etc.)

Key Changes in Family

Conclusion

I have followed the cross referencing of the texts, with 4 points on each of the underlined headings. Is thisenough? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

If you can ger 5-7 pages and compare and contrast the texts it is but I think you'd be better of studying the other two GV&V and LG. Noone really expects CC to come up at all. You don't necessarily need headings either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 DnBMoloney24

Orlaladuck wrote: »
    If you can ger 5-7 pages and compare and contrast the texts it is but I think you'd be better of studying the other two GV&V and LG. Noone really expects CC to come up at all. You don't necessarily need headings either!

Have G.V.V studied to a tee. This is the just for backup and have never done a C.C essay before. Your right, I'd almost be better off leaving out the headings all together?

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

Ah fair enough :)
    If you just wrote the essays under the headings it'd be fine but if i wouldn't learn off a bunch of headings, just learning the core points - I always do mine text by text rather than subject - 3 key scenes per text etc. But you should be fine anyway - CC is easy enough to get around, just keep saying how it affects the character!

Cheers for the advice. Best o luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Mark2006

How long should the comparative be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

Orlaladuck wrote: »

I know that no one expects CC to come up this year because it came up last year. But I was listing what came up every year from 2001 and it looked like this:

2001: T/I LG
    2002: T/I CC
    2003: GVV CC
    2004: T/I LG
    2005: GVV LG
    2006: T/I CC
    2007: GVV CC
    2008: T/I LG
    2009: T/I CC

Notice how every year that they had Theme or Issue and Literary Genre was followed by Theme or Issue and Cultural Context, with the exception of 2005. Every year that had Theme or Issue and Cultural context however (as happened in 2009) was followed by General Vision and Viewpoint, and Cultural Context. There were no exceptions to this pattern in the years listed above. Wouldn't that make it very likely that this year we're getting Cultural Context?

I know that no one expects CC to come up this year because it came up last year. But I was listing what came up every year from 2001 and it looked like this:

2001: T/I LG
    2002: T/I CC
    2003: GVV CC
    2004: T/I LG
    2005: GVV LG
    2006: T/I CC
    2007: GVV CC
    2008: T/I LG
    2009: T/I CC

Notice how every year that they had Theme or Issue and Literary Genre was followed by Theme or Issue and Cultural Context, with the exception of 2005. Every year that had Theme or Issue and Cultural context however (as happened in 2009) was followed by General Vision and Viewpoint, and Cultural Context. There were no exceptions to this pattern in the years listed above. Wouldn't that make it very likely that this year we're getting Cultural Context?

I noticed that as well, its impossible to tell as they do not have to follow these patterns. Its not set in stone but I agree with you. Cultural Context will come up.

And, General Vision & Viewpoint is a definite in my eyes. Has featured the least amount of times.

Mark2006 wrote: »
    How long should the comparative be?

Varies depending on your size of writing. I think the average is between 4 and 6.

Just because someone else writes 7 or 8 and say for instance you write 4, this does not mean they will get a better mark, by any stretch of the imagination.

For G.V.V I have focused on 4 points, intertwining a key moment in each of them which conveys the G.V.V.

The opening scene
    The development of relationships between characters
    The society
    The closing scene

A page each, give or take, 4 points on each page, 3 of which comparing the texts and 1 of which concluding my point and comparison.

Them 4 pages excluding my introduction which defines G.V.V, names texts etc. and excluding my conclusion. Hope this helps...

Advertisement