Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Development

Options
  • 08-06-2010 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Hi ya everyone,

Can anyone tell me when do you start bringing baby for development check ups and is this to your GP?

Any info appreciated
    x

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Some of the 1st few are with gp then later they are with the public health nurse.
    You usually get a letter in the post about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

You will have the public heath nurse call to your house twice in the two weeks immediatley after birth fro developmental checks. After this you will attend a six week check up with the gp, for you and the baby. I had to make this appointment myself.
    You will meet the public health nurse at four months then at eight months for developemnt checks, they will write to you.
    In between this you will meet with a nurse or your gp for vacinations at 2 months, 4 months and 6 months, so any queries in between development checks can be raised at these and they will have a look if your worried about anything. All the above checks ups are free.
    Next appointment after this is the 12month vacinations. Nothing like vacinations to round up the year.;)
    hth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Just wanted to say, don't count on letters/ the PHN coming to you... ours came the day I was released from hospital and never again, and no letters or developmental checks (though GP did that at my asking during vaccination visits). I think a lot of what PHN does depends on where you live- D8 is where I was, they may just be too busy there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

developmental checks are done by the PHn at 9 12 and 24 months

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/birth-family-relationships/after-your-baby-is-born/maternity_care_and_public_health_nurse

You should have 1 or 2 visits by the PHN after you come home from the hospital.

You have a postnatal check with your GP at 2 and 6 weeks you have to make your own appt

vaccinations are done at 2 4 6 12 13 months again you make the appt boosters at 4/5 and 11 -14 years :D

your hospital literature should have your nearest clinic and the PHN's number on it, and if you need anything you can call them and they'll help you out.
    I know for our checks we always had to phone up and request them they're so busy at the moment you can get overlooked..;)
    Most clinics have either breastfeeding clinics and weight check clinics and they're usually more than happy to see you if you've any concerns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I think it varies a lot... my PHN came to see me two days after I left hospital, then at two weeks, and eight weeks to check weight. Then at 15 weeks for 16 week check up, wants to see baby again at 7 months for hearing test, then 9 months, and then 12 and 18 months too.

I've just had my older girl for her 18 month check up :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

i didn't have these cos i was over there every monday at the breastfeeding clinic til he was 16 weeks :D so he was being weighed and looked over all the time!! 5ozs every week without fail!! ;):)

Advertisement