Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ice Dome gone?

Options
  • 08-06-2010 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Rumours around that Dundalk Ice Dome has closed completely, anyone hear otherwise?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Dundalk Daily

Its not looking too good, what happened to the promised updates on their website. Terrible shame if it is gone for good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 xxVickyxx

Im one of the figure skaters. And I heard that the ownership has changed. It was bought by the people who own the rink in Belfast. I don't know quite how true that is. But thats what I was told anyway. Oh also that chynna pope one of the main figure skater teachers (and possibly Sean Dooley the hockey coach) is leaving. Again I dont know how accurate that is. But I hope its not true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Dundalk Daily

According to the Argus, its going to re-open under new management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 xxVickyxx

Yeh well new ownership would kinda explain the new management.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mythicalireland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Just wondering if anyone had any information regarding the Ice Dome in Dundalk.

Says it is closed on their website, wondering if anyone knew when it's planned to re-open?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭flickarius

This thread was on the previous page, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055934149

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

I left a message on their facebook page, which came up immediately, however was deleted a couple of days later, with no response, and sadly, no info on the Planet Ice website, as was indicated there would be updates on their site, and sadly no contact details there. I really miss the lessons and practice.

Think I may have to purchase some snow whites in the meantime, in order to maintain my skills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 maldoza

theyre reopening dont worry ther advertising jobs on the fas website.... the rumour i heard i shud be open in around 2 weeks before the end of july

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Jet Set

Anybody heard anything since July regarding the ice dome?:cool:

• Advertisement

mid september seems to be the rumour now, gettin annoyied just want a proper set date

The lack of communication is completely unprofessional, and I left a message on their facebook saying that if they have no intention of replying to any posts there, they sould really amend their settings so that any comments have to be approved first, and yet, they still leave it open. I, for one, will be skating in the madness of the Christmas rinks in Dublin when they re-open, as for a company that does not seem to care about its customer base, I am not in any rush to support them any further. I do hope the rink that is supposed to open in the Artane/Coolock area of Dublin will be fruitful soon - latest I heard was that it would be open by Christmas, but seeing as it was initally supposed to be Jan, then April, and so on, I am not holding my breath.

the one thing i do know is the ownership has changed... the person who ran the facebook, im not sure has changed over too? so far the fault with it not being open is due to papers needing signing (latest rumour) but being from dundalk and without a car i hope it does open and those christmas rinks are no good for ice hockey

It's the lack of information that makes it unbearable!If it is closed for good ( and I hope it's not.) Why can't they just say so?

Just have to win the Euro Millions and open a rink!:D

The lack of communication is completely unprofessional, and I left a message on their facebook saying that if they have no intention of replying to any posts there, they sould really amend their settings so that any comments have to be approved first, and yet, they still leave it open. I, for one, will be skating in the madness of the Christmas rinks in Dublin when they re-open, as for a company that does not seem to care about its customer base, I am not in any rush to support them any further. I do hope the rink that is supposed to open in the Artane/Coolock area of Dublin will be fruitful soon - latest I heard was that it would be open by Christmas, but seeing as it was initally supposed to be Jan, then April, and so on, I am not holding my breath.

You would'nt happen to know if this rink thats supposed to open in Artane/Coollock being set up by the same people who operated the Charlestown on Ice?

Jet Set wrote: »
    You would'nt happen to know if this rink thats supposed to open in Artane/Coollock being set up by the same people who operated the Charlestown on Ice?

Nope, not the same crowd at all. Not sure who it is, but from what I've heard, the person hoping to set is up, has a son who plays ice hockey, and a daughter who figure skates.

Thank's

Look's like the Ice Dome is Re-opening after all! Check out this link to the local paper.:)

http://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/dundalknews/Ice-Dome-finally-set-to.6496697.jp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

I train in JJB and never even knew it was closed?

I know this probably does not say too much but I would have expected someone to mention it in the last month.

I think I am right in saying there are three co's in there - one owns ice dome, other soccer dome and other the gym and shop upstairs but gym no longer part of the new DW fitness chain in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

Jet Set wrote: »
    Look's like the Ice Dome is Re-opening after all! Check out this link to the local paper.:)

http://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/dundalknews/Ice-Dome-finally-set-to.6496697.jp

very good. Glad to hear it!

Would be a sore loss to the towns tourism and leisure industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rsands

excellent news indeed...its way closer for me to get to :)

This link is the latest news on the ice dome/planet ice.

http://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/dundalknews/Ice-Dome-still-on-course.6504906.jp

• Registered Users Posts: 21 shev7924

Dundalk icedome has gone due to lack of investment.Staff were told to find other jobs.......anyone got more to add

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Dev.burlesque

I find that hard to believe to be honest. Did planet ice not buy it a few months back? Im sure that didnt come cheap. That being the case, why would an ice-rink chain company make such an investment and then never open it- not even once.

I gather Planet ice were going to take over the running on the ice dome, invest in new plant etc. I don't think they actually bought it. In the last article in the Dundalk Democrat they stated that they were waiting to hear from the landlord to complete the deal perhaps looking for lower rent? for whatever reason the landlord may have decided not to agree to the deal. Now Planet Ice are either backing out or are playing hard ball. (hopefully the latter).

Feels like I just lost a friend!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 shev7924

Staff were told that planet ice were only seeing if it was a viable business.We were told it would be opened at the earliest Mid January 2011.Then told to find other jobs as it is very unlikely it will ever reopen due to overhead costs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

shev7924 wrote: »
    Staff were told that planet ice were only seeing if it was a viable business.We were told it would be opened at the earliest Mid January 2011.Then told to find other jobs as it is very unlikely it will ever reopen due to overhead costs

Such a huge investment, how could they just let it go to waste? Seems a bit ludicrous...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 cool mint

Its a long way to Dundalk so i do hope the Dublin Rink will open soon

Advertisement