Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ice Dome gone?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Jet Set

I think it will be a long time before a Dublin rink opens. I still believe the the Ice dome will reopen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

bigneacy wrote: »
    Such a huge investment, how could they just let it go to waste? Seems a bit ludicrous...
    yes, it does seem strange, it wasnt there for many years and the equipment and infrastructure are all there and should be still in good condition, hope something gets sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Thanks for the link - looking likely only possibility of skating will be the Christmas rinks with their sky high prices :(

Hopefully these idiot landlords will cop-on soon in the mean time this might be an option.
    Dundonald International Ice Bowl, Belfast. Prices vary with kids school holiday, best time to go is when they are in school and in the morning weekdays- priced @ about £6.50 less if you have your own skates and can stay almost all day!
    The expensive part is getting there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 guesswhooo

Its such a shame whats going on at the moment. its so unprofessional, I just want to know if and when they are going to open, I really believed this time that it was going to re-open in September, I dont know why the landlords are now against the rink re-opening, at the moment its of no value to them, now it stands as a failed business so why not let planet ice into run it? WE NEED ICE!!!

its such a shame that ice skating is only a seasonly sport in this country, the christmas rinks are so expenisive and only there for 2 months yet there always full which shows that a year round rink would be very popular here!!! they just need a bit more promotion to keep it going :D

Does anyone know anything about a rink in Dublin? I hear so many rumors I dont know who to believe? I've heard theres something going on at ikea and I've heard of something happening in Coolock but its all word of mouth.

PLEASE RE-OPEN OUR RINK :confused:

Maybe if enough people emailed, wrote and/or phoned Finnabair Estates Limited asking them to talk to Planet Ice and the Dundalk Democrat or simply "what the hell is going on with the ice dome?"....

Let me know your views on this:confused:?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 cool mint

Has there been news about Dundalk i understood it was been taken over ??

Jet Set wrote: »
    Maybe if enough people emailed, wrote and/or phoned Finnabair Estates Limited asking them to talk to Planet Ice and the Dundalk Democrat or simply "what the hell is going on with the ice dome?"....

Let me know your views on this:confused:?

I did think about that but I couldnt find an email address! but if they are not returning calls to planet ice or the democrat then I dont think we'd stand a chance, but its worth a try, anything is worth a try at this stage

cool mint wrote: »
    Has there been news about Dundalk i understood it was been taken over ??

heres the lastest ice dome news for u http://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/dundalknews/Ice-Dome-future-in-the.6577708.jp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 ferrarilooney

I cannot find any contact details for the landlords but if someone finds details I will gladly send emails to try get the rink open again. I miss it sooooooo much. :(

The details are available at this link:

http://www.eircomphonebook.ie/search/Louth/FINNABAIR_ESTATES.html

No email address as of yet anyone gets one please let us know.

It seems they have applied for planning permission to build a cinema etc opposite the ice dome, see this link.
    http://www.louthcoco.ie/en/Services/Planning/Planning-Lists/Dundalk/2010/March/Planning_Applications_Granted_we_26-03-2010.pdf

But this does not seem to have any bearing on the ice dome lease? anyone have access to the company's office? If so they could checkout there last filed end of year financial accounts. See how they are doing.

U've gotta be kidding!!! charlestown in Dublin closed down to become a cinema...we have enough cinemas in the country we dont have any ice rinks!

I said opposite the ice dome. on the waste ground I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

Yes, thats where its due to go and badly needed for the town

Yes! I agree! Anything that will provide employment is welcome in the area. This as stated in the planning application would compliment the ice dome, and of course the ice dome would compliment the cinema.
    This does not explain why Finnabair Estates Ltd are not interested in leasing the premises to Planet Ice.

Dundalk needs to be acted on also i think it is worth putting pressure on the Dublin guys that were going to set up, and see what there story is!!! bottom line is lads & girls we need a rink ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 icemarshal

i got a job in dundrum on ice so that is openin and i even get to work off the ice before it starts in 3 weeks. iv worked for 6 yrs on ice rinks for christmas but have to say the dome was good

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ferrarilooney

I heard that planet ice signed and agreement yesterday with ice dome. Hopefully this was true and we will be back skating soon.

• Advertisement

well if that is true that is great news skates at the ready

Fingers crossed;)

I really want to believe that!!! fingers toes and everything crossed!!! I'll go dust off my skates and I'll be ready in a flash!!! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭KevinMc

Hey, just come across this thread and really trying not to get my hopes up if they deal really has been finalised. I'd emailed planet ice a few time over the past week asking what was happing based on old information about them simply waiting for a VAT number. So glad I know that they actually are eager to get the ice dome going again. My guess is we'll not hear anything more until they get their birmingham rink opened and they can focus on Dundalk again. Hopefully Dundalk will be part of Christmas on Ice again.

Very interested in the other rink mentioned in this thread, would love to hear good news on that front.

Anyone heard anything on plans for a rink beside the National aquatic centre? This was mentioned in a feature for american TV when the Boston Bruins were over here and it featured former (?) Dundalk Ice Dome director Tony Kinsella talking about it. (not sure what he's doing these days or if he's still involved in the ice dome).

I think the recession has knocked many a plan down the drain! I believe the best chance ice skating has in this country is the likes of Planet Ice as they have the experience, finance and plan to expand there operation outside the UK.

this country is getting worse!!! I saw on the 7up christmas on ice site that the rds rink is only open for 1 month this year! we use to get at least 2 months out of it! its so sad! :(

What did u hear about the aquatic center? I heard a few rumours that theres a rink expected at ikea? I've been hearing it since January, but who knows, I dont believe them any more :confused:

I really hope planet ice get to open up Dundalk we need them!

I heard this is the last year 7up are doing 7up on ice, last year they had several seasonal rinks around the country this year there only 3 I think.:confused:

noooooooooooooooooooooo were loosing too much!!! 7up arent doing liffey valley this year! they are only doing the rds for 1 month and arrontts roof top for 2 months!!! when did they start using syntheic ice? I dont go there much but I thought it was meant to be real???

there site for this year is now active if anyone wants to check it out http://www.7upchristmasonice.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭KevinMc

guesswhooo wrote: »
    this country is getting worse!!! I saw on the 7up christmas on ice site that the rds rink is only open for 1 month this year! we use to get at least 2 months out of it! its so sad! :(

What did u hear about the aquatic center? I heard a few rumours that theres a rink expected at ikea? I've been hearing it since January, but who knows, I dont believe them any more :confused:

I really hope planet ice get to open up Dundalk we need them!

I agree that the recession really has been a major factor and the people behind the 7up christmas on ice obviously expect that people will have less money to spare this year and therefore there is less money to be made by staying open longer

Really hope the Planet Ice deal is secured. The fact that a company that wants to take over operations in dundalk is a mircale but the fact that it's a company that really does want to grow. If they manage to ride out these though times more rinks could be the long term plan, even though that's a long way off.

These are the videos that was posted on an Ice Hockey forum from a guy in the US

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IGQdh4DGXs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JcxUxNpjDk&feature=related

Just a brief mention form tony Kinsella speaking from the aquatic centre. Not sure what plans if any are actually in place.

While these videos makes it look like the ice hockey is still surviving, it's really not a good as it looks. This Summer the International ice hockey federation made the Irish Ice Hockey Association (IIHA) withdraw claim to represent Northern Ireland as one association cannot cross a land border. Therefore the IIHA cannot claim to have access to the Dundonald as a home rink and Ireland are breach of rules that allows ireland access to international competition. So if Dundalk or another home for Team Ireland is not found Ireland could be withdrawn from the mens international competition. The u20s were refused entry to next years international competitions. Other issues like can the IIHA operate an all ireland league in dundalk and dundonald should the ice dome reopen and do northern irish players need international transfer card (ITC) to play in Dundalk now have been raised.

The absence of the Ice Dome is making Irish Ice Hockey slide into the abyss.

• Advertisement

Thank's for the link, that sounds hopefull but if it does happen it will be a few years! :(

Advertisement