Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ice Dome gone?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 guesswhooo

turns out were not getting smithfield on ice either this year :eek:

I wish Dundalk would just decide! I just want to know! Has anyone heard anything about other rinks in Dublin? or Banbridge? I heard in May that Banbridge are getting an international ice rink and planing to hold loads of games and shows at it, it was going to open during November but I havent heard any more since May, Banbridge isnt too far away!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Jet Set

No surprises there! it has been operated by the Dundalk Ice Dome for the past couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

7Up on Ice won't be getting my custom this year, thanks to their synthetic ice :(. Synthetic ice ruins blades :(

Dundrum on Ice is opening this weekend though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭KevinMc

Just wondering if there has been anything else in the local press about this?

Also if anyone is up north doing a little bit of christmas shopping there's a temporary rink opening in Armagh from 27nov to 2jan.

http://www.armagh.gov.uk/event_more_details.php?show=current&eventid=430&monthid=11&from=2

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

There is a temporary Ice Rink going up in Navan for Christmas.

Probably the closest one for most of Louth - details at: http://www.navanonice.ie/

• Advertisement

Still nothing about Dundalk :mad:
    But I'm still hearing rumours that Banbridge is about to open a rink but who knows what to believe anymore :confused:

I started a new thread "Seasonal Ice rinks" in the hope people who visit seasonal ice rinks with tell us about there experience and the quality of the ice. that way we can see if they are improving or dis-improving, it also lets us know which ones maybe better.

7Up on Ice won't be getting my custom this year, thanks to their synthetic ice :(. Synthetic ice ruins blades :(

Dundrum on Ice is opening this weekend though :)

I hear 7up in the RDS will be real!!! its opening in Decemeber

Navan on Ice is open and the ice is a little bigger than Dundrum, and the surface is very very good (early in the day!). Dundrum was very poor when I was there 2 weeks ago. Maybe it's improved since.

See thread "Seasonal ice rinks"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Gerry.L

I was told by a mate of a mate of a mate (and we all know how reliable that can be :rolleyes: ) that planet ice have backed out of the deal. Seemingly planet ice would have had to take on the ice domes debts which they werent willing to do :(

• Advertisement

Gerry.L wrote: »
    I was told by a mate of a mate of a mate (and we all know how reliable that can be :rolleyes: ) that planet ice have backed out of the deal. Seemingly planet ice would have had to take on the ice domes debts which they werent willing to do :(

Well if thats true then thats madness, planet ice was looking to rent the ice dome from finnbair estates who from my understanding own the facility. You cannot expect a new tennent to take on debts of the previous tennets when there is no corporate connection.

It would appear have been a merger between planet ice and the ice dome. In which case I would guess from a legal point if the landlords were chasing monies owed, they could not lease it to planet ice if some of the original directors were involved.
    Madness It Is!

Suppose we get as many people together as possible and go to down to Finnabar estate do you think there is any chance we could get some sort of update on what exactly is happening..?? Or what the hold up is... It wouldnt be as bad if we knew what was going on. But just sitting around hearing it will be open next week... it will be open next month... it will be open before halloween..... it will be open before xmas :mad: :mad: If its closed indefintiley or whatever the case may be thats fine. Im just sick to death of all the lies I hear :(

I agree, we just need to know the future of the ice dome

did anyone contact finnabair?

I am on for that! anyone know where there office is? Would have to be a weekday office hours.

Yeh we (just 2 of us) visited finnabar office the other day. Pretty much we got told (not in these words) told we were wasting our time.

Im still up for going back with a group.... but TBH I reckon they might just blow us off again :(:(

Maybe if we get organised set a date maybe Monday January 3rd 2011, when kids are off school get the Irish Ice Hockey Association and Ice Skating Association of Ireland involved. You know what I mean People Power!! We could contact them and see what there position on this would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Jet Set wrote: »
    Maybe if we get organised set a date maybe Monday January 3rd 2011, when kids are off school get the Irish Ice Hockey Association and Ice Skating Association of Ireland involved. You know what I mean People Power!! We could contact them and see what there position on this would be.
    Get LMFM,DundalkFM/local press involved also,the Micheal Reade show on LMFM would be worth contacting imo.

Get LMFM,DundalkFM/local press involved also,the Micheal Reade show on LMFM would be worth contacting imo.

Good thinking! well who is on for organizing this?

I'll rephrase that. I am interested in arranging a peaceful demonstration. Is anyone else interested?

• Advertisement

Jet Set wrote: »
    I'll rephrase that. I am interested in arranging a peaceful demonstration. Is anyone else interested?

Emm we are in the middle of organising something at the minute. So far we got about 20 people. Just need to work out a date. I'll keep ya's posted.

I'd be up for going down too, perhaps we could get an e petition going as well, something we could bring down in support of our case. That why we can link the petition on the ice hockey forums and get support from everyone, north and south, we could also contact the people we know will be running for elections in Louth to see what they can do, (eg Mr Adams lol, I'm sure he'll also be interested in the current Ice hockey situtation that has developed partitioning North and South again after 4 years or so of All Ireland represenation). The ice dome brought visitors to the area and it should be a matter of importance for people in local government to help support efforts to get a new tennet.

any news yet? will we be starting the new year ice-less?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

I don't hold out much hope at this stage. Anyone heard anything about the rink that was rumoured to open in Artane last year?

The last I heard bout Artane was that it was in some local paper in April or May...nothing else since then :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2 vikkic

leasureplex in coolock aparantly have a syntethic ice rink, €7 for 25 mins iv heard..,

any updates on dundalk?

vikkic wrote: »
    leasureplex in coolock aparantly have a syntethic ice rink, €7 for 25 mins iv heard..,

any updates on dundalk?

Synthetic/Plastic ice will wear down your ice skates very, very fast and there are only a limited number of time they can be sharpened. They will destroy your skates.

Sorry! I think we should forget about The Dundalk Ice Dome. At least that we won't be disappointing ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 vikkic

iv skated on the syntethic ice in disneland paris..nearly killed myself, was scary...and i can skate pretty good, wouldnt waste my time,

weve lost every decent ice rink weve ever had in this country mainly coz they dont advertise enough .. cant give up hope...:(

Just seen this posted on the hockey forum:
    http://www.insolvencyjournal.ie/more_details/11-01-26/Appointment_of_liquidator_B_K_G_Ice_Rinks_Leisure_Limited.aspx
    Appointment of liquidator: B.K.G. Ice Rinks & Leisure Limited

26 January 2011

Eamonn Leahy of Leahy & Co was appointed liquidator on 26th January 2011.
    Registered address: Dundalk Ice Dome, Dundalk Retail Park, Inner Relief Road, Dundalk, Co Louth
    Last accounts filed: 31/08/2008
    CRO number: 417262
    So does this make the re-opening of the ice dome impossible now?

• Advertisement

Nothing is impossible! When the liquidation is complete, It may pave the way for the likes of Planet Ice lease the premises. Only time will tell.

Advertisement