Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ice Dome gone?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭KevinMc

Jet Set wrote: »
    Nothing is impossible! When the liquidation is complete, It may pave the way for the likes of Planet Ice lease the premises. Only time will tell.

hopefully with the previous management or finnabair estates or who ever out of the way planet ice or someone may still be interested.I guess there's no quick fix to this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 guesswhooo

:confused: I think so :(

we need at least one ice rink someone has to open one for us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dolphinv

Published on Wed Feb 02 14:12:26 GMT 2011

THE Dundalk Democrat can reveal that the owners of the Dundalk Ice Dome are in negotiations with two potential leasees to take over operations and they are ‘confident’ that the popular ice rink will reopen.

However, the company which had the original lease on the rink, BKG Ice Rinks and Leisure Ltd, have been appointed a liquidator this week.
    The Ice Dome, which is owned by Finnabair Estates who developed the retail park in which it is situated, has been closed since May of last year.
    The initial closure was put down to maintainence and was meant to last a matter of weeks.
    However, eight months on and the rink remains closed to the public.
    Speaking with the Dundalk Democrat, Neil Armstrong of Finnabair Estates, told the paper that “We are in talks with two operators. We are at an advanced stage and are confident that the Ice Dome will reopen.”
    Mr Armstrong could not confirm if one of the operators was UK outfit, Planet Ice, whom they had been in negotiations with last summer.
    At the time Planet Ice, who run 14 rinks in the UK, told the this paper that they were eager to go ahead with the deal but that it was Finnabair Estates who were to blame for failure to do a deal.
    Speaking with the Dundalk Democrat this week a representative of Finnabair Estates said they wanted to have someone take over the lease as it “benefited no one sitting idle’”
    The Democrat understands that there is a huge demand for the reopening of the rink and that Finnabair Estates have been inundated with enquiries as to the situation with the rink.
    The rink was home to the Irish National Ice Hockey squad and local team the Dundalk Bulls, who have been unable to train at the closed venue.

Hi all! any news on the dome? its beyond a joke at this stage but we need the ice back! anywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 shev7924

Staff were told to find new jobs as the chance the dome would ever open again was less than 5%.Just got in playing hockey,pity its gone.Rumor has its JJB soccer dome next door is next on the chopping block.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Jet Set

This is the link to the article in the Dundalk Democrat on February 2nd last.

http://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/news/business/owners_are_confident_ice_dome_will_open_to_the_public_soon_1_2372893

It states exactly what Dolphinv stated on the 20/02/2011, and I heard that it will open, but when is the question? if anyone has a more recent update I would like to hear about it. Thanks.

shev7924 wrote: »
    Staff were told to find new jobs as the chance the dome would ever open again was less than 5%.Just got in playing hockey,pity its gone.Rumor has its JJB soccer dome next door is next on the chopping block.

thats such a shame, I know how u feel I had just gotten into it too and now its gone! I dont believe it will ever reopen but u never know, I just want an ice rink anywhere closer than belfast! this country is a joke! if the soccer dome is next to go then maybe they are planning to put a cinema there, I heard rumours of that before.

Does anyone know anything about rinks in Dublin? I heard the guys who did the point village on ice were planning on setting up a year round rink somewhere else? hope thats true!?!

Hopefully magic ice can help us get our real ice rink back...but synthetic ice is just not for me! I tried it but its just not the same :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 CoachAmy

I'm a Figure Skating coach in the United States. Hoping to relocate to Ireland. I'd love to coach at the Ice Dome! I hope it re-opens soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Anyway.....any new information on the Ice Dome at all, or is it pretty much beyond saving at this stage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    Anyway.....any new information on the Ice Dome at all, or is it pretty much beyond saving at this stage?

sure its been closed for that long the ice would be all melted at this stage (:p)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 cmerush2dstars

I think it has closed for good :( their website www.dundalkicedome.com is no longer available. Is there any other real-ice ice rinks in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Jet Set

I think it has closed for good :( their website www.dundalkicedome.com is no longer available. Is there any other real-ice ice rinks in Dublin?

No! Afraid not! Dondonald International Ice Bowl, In Belfast is nearest. Until the seasonal rinks open for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 cmerush2dstars

Jet Set wrote: »
    No! Afraid not! Dondonald International Ice Bowl, In Belfast is nearest. Until the seasonal rinks open for Christmas.
    That's what I feared. So the Christmas countdown starts :)

4 more months till the christmas rinks start popping up! I hope they all come back! last year we lost liffey valley to the plastic stuff at arrnotts! any word on the point village? I thought they were meant to reopen again after Christmas?

Theres no hope for Dundalk at this stage! no one seems to be doing anything about it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

A facebook page I am on put in a proposal to the landlord of the Ice Dome but it seems they are not interested in an ice rink operating from the premises again. I had heard over the summer from someone skating at Dundonald when I was up there, that the building had been flattened.

On the upside, there is potential for a rink coming to Dublin - http://www.iiha.org/news/article/view/id/617

looks good, I heard about that a month ago but I heard it was only in the proposal stage and had a loooooooooong way to go! but ur link from the iiha says within 2 months so I'm liking this :) I hope they dont let us down again!!! I want my ice life back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

A facebook page I am on put in a proposal to the landlord of the Ice Dome but it seems they are not interested in an ice rink operating from the premises again. I had heard over the summer from someone skating at Dundonald when I was up there, that the building had been flattened.

http://www.iiha.org/news/article/view/id/617
    The building that the Dundalk icedome was in is still there, it hasnt being flattened

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

^ Given the ice dome is attached to the soccer dome and this is attached to the gym and sports shop (1st floor) - flattening it is not at all feasible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

its like a lot of places in Dundalk-CLOSED
    depressing to say the least how that town has gone.

Rumour is the vibrating massage chairs in Marshes sc is next on the hit list!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

^ LMAO!

I never used them myself - always used one in Newry for free!:D

Proximity to the north has advantages and disadvantages!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

The Guvnor wrote: »
    ^ LMAO!

I never used them myself - always used one in Newry for free!:D

Proximity to the north has advantages and disadvantage

Your obviously a connoisseur so.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 twiggy1974

sign of the times eh!

Advertisement