Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best back door courses to get into Physiotherapy???

• 08-06-2010 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

Hi,

A friend of mine's son is looking for advice on ways of getting into Physiotherapy is he doesn't obtain the points in the Leaving. I would really appreciate any advice on alternative courses to get into Physio i.e. Science, Sports Management etc??

Many thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Ms Happy

One good route is through the Higher Certificate in Physiology & Health Science in IT Carlow - it's been around the 450-460 mark the past few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Pawz17

The same course as is mentioned above is in IT Sligo but I think the points are a good bit lower, could be wrong though! It's worth a look! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭FerrisBueller

^^^^Same as above, I know a guy doing it in Carlow and he's flying through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Msdimplesxxx

I'm in the same position... I've applied for physio, and have carlow and sligo down aswell, but for level 8., my next option is science in ucd and trinity. As far as im aware they work just as well as a back way into physio as physiology and health science does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cici xxx

any courses in dublin or galway to get you into physio? really undecided as to what course to do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Health and Performance Science in UCD, it's at the 440 mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Health and Performance Science in UCD, it's at the 440 mark.

Are you sure that course leads into Physio because I inquired to the college and they said it doesn't? Also how many years would I have to do after that three course to fully qualify? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 AoifeG93

I was thinking about doing physio aswell.
    Sports and exercise Science in UL is around 450 and so is Sport Science and Healt in DCU.
    One of these followed by a masters in physio does the trick. Masters cant be done in Ireland though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Must opine that perhaps repeating shouldn't be discounted as an option, it'll probably work out cheaper and quicker in the long run. Many people are held back by compulsory Irish and Maths etc. in their first LC but can really bring themselves up by taking up new subjects when they repeat. Just a thought.....

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Pineapple123

Just be aware that it may be competitive to get into physio after your degree... you'll need to do quite well in the degree to be considered!

• Advertisement

If I got offered both courses which one do you think I should take Physiology & Health Science in IT Carlow or Science - Health & Performance in UCD. ( The course in Carlow is 2 years and the course in UCD is 3 years). Also would it be possible to get into the UK for Physio after one year through either of these courses?

anybody?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭Henrib

I went to quite a few open days for physio in the UK, they are very keen on having you some experience and evidence that you really are interested in this career. Your personal statement is hugely important to help filter potential students. That said education wise the points are slightly less and in my opinion a bit more negotiable than here. They tend to look for science subjects and one Uni told me that they do accept 'sports' qualifications but it must have science in the title i.e Sports science. Phone the Uni's directly and speak to health/physio admissions person, the chances are depending on your subject/modules they will be prepared to accept it. Also for UK the fees are jumping next year for all students but the NHS cover tuition fees for all 'healthcare' professions which pyhsio falls into so it may attract more student applications next year so they can save app £6k a year!!

Advertisement