Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone able to help me with this?

Options
  • 08-06-2010 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Really hope someone can help me cause I'm very confused!

After being out of college for three years I was re-admitted into 3rd year of the same course last September. I had already passed 3rd year the last time around, but the course structure had changed slightly so the department thought it best if I kind of repeated (attended all lectures, participated in group assignments and completed fieldwork placement). As I already had a passing grade I ended up actually being registered to a made up course for the year so I could keep my previous grade and not have to pay tuition fees. Because I was kind of repeating last year I was told I wasn't entitled to any financial assistance so have been living off savings all year.

So now I'm wondering am I entitled to anything for the coming academic year? I am nearly 26, and have been living away from home and supporting myself for the last year academic year. I will be moving home for the summer as I have zero money left, and am hoping I'm entitled to something for next year as otherwise I cannot see myself being able to finish this degree! Living at home for the year isn't really an option as it is quite far from college, and as selfish as it sounds I don't want to be there as my father has alzheimer's and I feel it would interfere with my final year too much.

So would I be entitled to a grant of some sort?

Thanks guys. Sorry it's a bit long, complicated situation! Hope I've explained everything properly :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It seems likely that you might get a grant for the last year, since you have not had one before for this year. However each case is different and while we can offer opinions here, the only way you are going to find out is by asking the right people.

Are there any student services at college who might be able to help you? Or contact your local city/county council and see what information you can get there, or Citizens' Advice.

You might need to be a bit careful about living at home, your parents' income might be used as a basis for assessment - maybe it will anyway, but that's another thing you need to ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭duffflash

After being out off full time education for 3 years you may have been entitled to the grant last year but you should get it this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭duffflash

Sorry I might be wrong with the 3 years.
    Have attended but not successfully completed an approved course and are returning following a break of at least 5 years in order to pursue an approved course at the same level in the academic year in question. In this instance, you will be considered a Second Chance Student”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

I dont know why people think its better to ask on here about such serious and important stuff :confused:

ring the council you origionally got the grant from OP, they are the ones who will make the decision. explain your situation especially if there were any medical issues which lead to the 3 yr absence.

Advertisement