Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Third World War

• 08-06-2010 7:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

Just say a third world war broke out in the morning what states would be pitted against each other and where would the flashpoint areas of conflict be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Here of course. :)

Armageddon.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

Well if we were take today's political alliances and differences the most likely major war between nation states (as opposed to counterinsurgency or failed states) is likely to arise in the Far East, specifically between the two Koreas. Worst case scenario China gets involved on North Koreas side on it all kicks off with the American backing the South. By virtue of proximity and the American presence on its soil, Japan is dragged in too. A lot would depend on how Russia decides to play it but should they side with the Americans and the Europeans (who I believe would definately back the Yanks) then a massive front opens up across Siberia/Mongolia. Iran, with deep ties to China, decides its time to kick off. Israel goes to war with it, the Arab nations split, some supporting Iran some Israel. This conflict goes regional and spreads, via Turkey, to Europe's borders. Perhaps with the world's attention so distracted other conflicts rise up in South America or Africa.

Of course all highly highly imaginative and highly highly unlikely but, as I see it, a credible scenario to create a world war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Hopefully aliens will attack and everyone will put aside their differences. Might not be classed as a world war if everyone is on the same side against ET's though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

concussion wrote: »
    Hopefully aliens will attack and everyone will put aside their differences. Might not be classed as a world war if everyone is on the same side against ET's though!

If the US and Britain are fighting the Aliens, you can be sure there will be plenty of tree hugging lefties cheering on the Aliens.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

hail-ants.PNG

I for one welcome our alien overlords. . .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

I for one welcome our alien overlords. . .

He's an alien sympathiser!! Get him, break his legs!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

If the US and Britain are fighting the Aliens, you can be sure there will be plenty of tree hugging lefties cheering on the Aliens.:D

But... but ... they're HUMANITARIAN aliens!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

My own guess is that the next really big war will be between the US and China - tensions seem to rise every year and many of the issues that arose in the US / Japan relationship in the years before Pearl Harbour are also arising in the Sino/US relationship.
    Taiwan or the Korean Peninsula will be the flashpoint that kicks it all off but there is a bigger picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

US/China.. I doubt it. Too much trade and money to be made there. Now NK/SK thats another kettle of eels all together.

Personally I reckon Limerick and Cork. Flash point..whos got the coolest accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Madd Finn

Well yeah. So what's your point? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

iceage wrote: »
    Personally I reckon Limerick and Cork. Flash point..whos got the coolest accent.

While we in Donegal lie back and laugh,safe in the knowledge we have the coolest and sexiest accent :pac:

Beats a Safff London accent anyday.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

iceage wrote: »
    Beats a Safff London accent anyday.:D

fcuk off it does!

voice of the Gods mate - and anyone who don't like it can chew on my fcuking hammer!

OYE! Thor wind your neck in! So am I.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

If a world war does break out the only event I see causing it is a war occurring between Israel and one or more of the Islamic nations. If NK / SK does kick I don't see a world war coming of it, NK doesn't have the allies to jump in and help it. China used to be an ally but with it's trade and economy relying on the west now, it's safe to say they'd side with the west before siding with NK.

Israel and the Islamic countries is totally different story though. America and possibly some other western countries will probably join Israel while many of the Islamic nations join together, could see India launch a surprise attack on Pakistan then joining onto the western side, still a lot of hate there. If these events did happen though I doubt as many countries would get involved as there's a lot of negative feeling towards Israel now with their recent actions for the last 5-10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 kochu.1980

how this 3rd world war talk turned to an accent problem in ire???

Because I was taking the p!ss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Cork haveing a cool accent:confused::confused::confused:

Sher its like nackers trying to speak french:D

Now Waterford on the other hand........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

The US seem to be running scared at the moment. Nukes and SAM's etc are being stock piled all across the US in large dug outs under mountain etc etc.

11 Russian spies arrested recently. things are going down hill fast.

IMO you'll see something kicking off within the year. Can't say if it'll be a direct one on one and more than likely it'll be fought through some poor country with an extreme agenda of its own that both sides can exploit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 368 ✭✭Avgas

The US seem to be running scared at the moment. Nukes and SAM's etc are being stock piled all across the US in large dug outs under mountain etc etc.

Have you got a solid reference for that?

If the US are storing nuke warhead and SAM under mountains [?] doesn't that suggest they actually feel these weapon systems are not likely to be needed urgently?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

paky wrote: »
    Just say a third world war broke out in the morning what states would be pitted against each other and where would the flashpoint areas of conflict be?
    The war as you refer it too is not being fought with guns anymore,they are using finacial weapons of mass destruction,look at Greece,they're basically broke,in and out without a single shot fired.

Wake up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Israel attacks the Iranian nuclear facilities within the next 12 months.
    Iran will retaliate with missile attacks against Israel from Iran and open a front in Lebanon through Hezbollah.
    Israel strikes back at Iran and Lebanon, quickly drawing Syria into the conflict.
    Iran attempts to close the Hormuz Strait to oil shipping to protest the West's support of Israel. This brings America into direct conflict with Iran.
    Pro-American Gulf oil countries come under attack from Iran and the exposure of Saudi Arabia in supporting the Israeli raid on Iran plunges the kingdom (and the markets) into chaos.
    Turkey pulls out of NATO and stands by Iran/Syria against USA/Israel, with strong backing from Russia.
    As the entire Mid East flares up, Russia and China sense an opportunity to increase their influence in the oil rich region and support Turkey/Iran/Syria with military supplies and aid dangerously raising tensions.

What happpens next is anyones guess...

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

11 Russian spies arrested recently. things are going down hill fast.

Haha those spies were no more useful than a plastic bbq. They were under surveilance for years. Spies are always around anyway, probably more now than ever before. Doesn't mean WWIII is about to kick off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭halkar

One thing that is Europe is good at is World Wars :D
    EU collapse, Germans sick of bailing out all others and turn to fasizm once again. Germans attack Greece to get some of their savings back. France attack Germans to support Greece. Germans whip France a$$ while taking over Poland again. All the little countries of Europe disapears from the maps. Brits not sure what to do so they hold on for few years. US is just watching and laughing at Europe while waiting for all to end to step in so they can take the spoils. Germans need petrol and try deciding if they should invade Russia. They look at their history books and see that is a bad idea so they decide to invade Turkey to reach ME. Turks being a proud nation have none of this and held Germans at their border after years of bloody battles. Once again Germans look their history books and decide attacking Turkey was not a good idea and even their ancestors did not do such a stupid move. They sign a secret packed with Russia for fuel supplies. They give all of Poland to Russia this time. It goes on and on and history repeats itself once again with minor detail changes.

While the war is sweeping across Europe once again rest of the world doesn't give a monkeys and carry on with their own life with China supplying all the goodies.

After 11 years and millions dead in Europe US gives up to UKs begging and drops a lil nuke to Berlin. The Marshal plan II gets implemented in Europe. Russia gives Poland back to Europe as they are not interested spending their gas money anywhere else but Russia.

:D:D

Advertisement