Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computer problems :(

• 08-06-2010 7:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

Hey guys I have two problems with my PC. The first problem I get is when I boot up the PC. The pc passes the bios test but when it is about to load into windows it gives me an error "No IDE master H.D.D detected". This is quite strange since when I press F1 to resume the boot it boots normaly into windows but it loads slowly. :rolleyes:

Second problem is not really a major problem but it is annoying. The audio is really messed up :(. The standard windows XP boot up theme plays but the speakers start crackling really badly. It continues to make the crackling sound even when I am playing music files in windows media player. I can verify that its not just one set of speakers because I used my headphones and my other set of speakers and the problem still occurs.

Both these problems only started to occur after my computer crashed when I was playing a song in windows media player. I ran SEGtools for DOS and I did the short test and it passed the test so it must not be the hard drive? Any suggestions would be helpful thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

suggest you check the BIOS for the option to" halt on all errors " and un-check it.Also Try to reinstall your on-board sound drivers .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Trevor451 wrote: »
    "No IDE master H.D.D detected".

Inside your PC, there's typically 1 or 2 IDE cables.
    You can install up to 2 devices on each cable.

When you install eg. a hard disk and a cd/dvd drive on the one cable then you typically have to set jumpers (little plastic connectors) on the hard disk and dvd rom to say which one is the "master" device and which one is the "slave" device.

By any chance have you added, removed or reinstalled any drives in your pc recently ?
    It could also be that the cd/dvd rom drive is knackered and it was set as the master.
    Can you see and use the cd/dvd drive ?
    Does the BIOS check see the hard disk and dvd drive ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

I managed to get the sound working again by re installing windows but I still get the error at boot :rolleyes: I have not installed any new hardware whatsoever I guess I will just ignore the message lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Trevor451 wrote: »
    I managed to get the sound working again by re installing windows but I still get the error at boot :rolleyes: I have not installed any new hardware whatsoever I guess I will just ignore the message lol

Im not 100% but i recall something like this happening if your motherboard battery is failing or dead. It usually screws up the windows time aswell as it doesnt save after shutting down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

GO TO BIOS, set autodetect all hardrives.if pc time is wrong it can mean bios mobo battery needs replacing cost 3 euro.Batterys last about 5 years.
    bios checks the hardrive if it doesnt have the drive settings cylinder /heads type in bios memory.
    Bad battery means it loses the settings for time,date and hardrive parameters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Blink182rock

Inside your PC, there's typically 1 or 2 IDE cables.
    You can install up to 2 devices on each cable.

When you install eg. a hard disk and a cd/dvd drive on the one cable then you typically have to set jumpers (little plastic connectors) on the hard disk and dvd rom to say which one is the "master" device and which one is the "slave" device.

By any chance have you added, removed or reinstalled any drives in your pc recently ?
    It could also be that the cd/dvd rom drive is knackered and it was set as the master.
    Can you see and use the cd/dvd drive ?
    Does the BIOS check see the hard disk and dvd drive ?

I have that prob ! installed new hdd on xps 210!! gettn same error ?what will i do :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

go to bios switch off fast boot mode, then,ll it,ll check for a new hardrive.
    bios battery is on the motherboard silver,round, looks like a digital watch battery.

Advertisement