Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Competition Idea

• 08-06-2010 7:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭

I dunno if this idea has been suggested before but how about a competition to test our editing skills...

basically someone takes a picture every week and then it's up to us to use our Photoshop skills or whatever editing skills to change the picture to get the best result..

would there be any interest in a competition like this?????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,355 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Good idea, it would be great if the winner explained how they did what they did in photoshop, us rookies need a bit of help..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

That's pretty much what I'm thinking like... When I take a middlen pic I jsut never know what to do with it and when I see some of the end products here just makes me wonder so...

Would never bother entering it, as I'm useless, but would be curious to see what other people can do and, more importantly; how they do what they did.

I think, if this goes ahead, everyone who enters should have to write a few lines on what they did to a photo when they post it, regardless of whether they "win" or not.

It's apain in the bollocks when you see a photo and you wonder "how did he do that", and then you've to post to ask, and hope the person sees your post and you're waiting hours or days for a reply and you eventually forget about it. :(

Sorry for the rant :o

But a good idea nonetheless. Surprised it hasn't been done yet. Unless there's a similar thread in the Digital Darkroom? :confused: (I'm too lazy to look)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I'm totally in favour at this idea. It gives lots of people an idea on how to PP their shots better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

well i'm getting ready to do the leaving cert so if anyone has any suggestions to how to run this competition or whatever feel free to suggest them..

i'm thinking something like i post a picture on sunday no1... then all members have until 23.59 on saturday to submit there entries... then on sunday no2 i post a new pic and in that week people vote for there favourite picture and submit entries for the next weeks competition with the results being annonced perhaps on friday... then the winner will get to post the photo to be edited on sunday no3 for week 3 and then the cycle continues..

that's just a basic though that i'm having.. any ideas suggestions welcome

• Advertisement

That seems grand to me. You'll have to make some criteria for the photos though.

For example, I don't want to spend a week looking at a photo of Mary Harney because someone thought it'd be funny.

I do think that people should be allowed steal from Google Images (rather than having to post their own photos), but I think the photos should have to fall under an umbrella of photographs that required effort or that an enthusiast photographer would actually set out to take.

Snapshots and the likes should not be allowed (again, all in my own personal opinion, obviously I'd imagine the majority will decide, but I thought I'd just throw up this point).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

I love this idea. Definitely up for it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

It's been tried before

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055495257

No reason it couldn't happen again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

this could be interesting. why dont you just post up a editing challenge

Advertisement