Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postman v dog

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

A few months ago my brother hit a collie that ran straight in front of the car. The collie didn't even flinch or yelp and kept running in front of the cars behind us wagging his tail. We were going to go see if he was alright but he just ran off then. He was pretty lucky.

I really hate people letting their dogs roam loose. I've seen two dogs who came out on the road to see my dog (one a puppy that wanted to play and one an aggressive dog trying to attack mine) run straight in front of cars and died.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

It happened in 1998 and it's only been sorted now, cripes that's a long time.
    Glad he was compensated the amount of dogs on the loose is ridiculous. Fair enough if someone for example has their dog enclosed and it's an accident but allowing a dog to wander around freely is all well and good until they see something they want to chase.

Aparently you aren't supposed to swerve if you see a dog/cat etc. but it's something lets face it most people do on impulse. Sometimes there's kids chasing after a cat or dog so you kind of have to think quickly.

Posties get a rough time of it with dogs, most want to do their jobs and can't because of owners allowing their dogs to run loose. A heck of a lot of dog bites happen to posties every year.

Mabey this will make some dog owners think twice and keep their dogs contained and safe from the road, doubt it though some people just don't think or care.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It happened in 1998 and it's only been sorted now, cripes that's a long time.
    Glad he was compensated the amount of dogs on the loose is ridiculous. Fair enough if someone for example has their dog enclosed and it's an accident but allowing a dog to wander around freely is all well and good until they see something they want to chase.

Aparently you aren't supposed to swerve if you see a dog/cat etc. but it's something lets face it most people do on impulse. Sometimes there's kids chasing after a cat or dog so you kind of have to think quickly.

Posties get a rough time of it with dogs, most want to do their jobs and can't because of owners allowing their dogs to run loose. A heck of a lot of dog bites happen to posties every year.

Mabey this will make some dog owners think twice and keep their dogs contained and safe from the road, doubt it though some people just don't think or care.

Amen to that last hope. There are five dogs on the way to Town here who are loose and who run after the car.

Knew a postman once who used to get his ankles attacked every day by a cockerel!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I wonder if part of it is because of the 'letterbox'. The postman has to come into your garden and brave the path to your front door to post things through your door. A simple solution if you have a dog that eats the postman may be to put a mailbox, American-style, at your garden gate?

Years ago in Ireland my nextdoor neighbour had an extremely aggressive dog that used to go bald-headed for the postman all of the time. We lived in a cul de sac and subsequently various people allowed their dogs to roam because of the nature of the enclosed space. When I think back on it, I wouldn't have blamed the postman if he resorted to violence - imagine a large lurcher, probably 35-40kgs, hackles up and teeth bared, that barks and darts at you and snarls and goes for your ankles, as you walk door to door of more than 30 houses? EVERY MORNING?

One postie has this zen calm, he never looked at the dog and didn't break his stride, just went and delivered the post. The really embarassing thing was the owner had no control over him, she used to open her front door and call the dog, and then she resorted to banging the door knocker against the door to try and get his attention - all it did was rile him up worse!! My dad had good recall with the dog, and once or twice he went out and intervened (he had more control over it than its owner did) but then he stopped getting involved because a few times he got roasted by someone who didn't realise it wasn't his dog.

I can remember a young boy, maybe 14, who'd cycled his bike into the estate to deliver leaflets or do a pools round or something. The dog went bananas for him and the poor kid was hemmed against a fence, bawling crying, with the bike between him and the dog. My dad went out and called the dog off and brought the lad into our house where my mum made him tea and toast and gave him cuddles or somesuch, and they rang his mother to come and get him. She arrived at our house and saw a kennel in the garden and cracked it, my folks couldn't get a word in edgeways.

Then our cat stuck her head out the kennel to see what all the fuss was about (we didn't own a dog, dad thought it was cute to have a kennel for the cat), then crawls out, black and white and about 3kgs of her, and this woman was just speechless...

Advertisement