Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learn Off or Not Learn Off Essay?

Options
  • 08-06-2010 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭

Are you?

How do you go about it? Keep reading it, writing it?

Are You Learning Off an Essay? 7 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 7 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭lucybrown

dont do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Im gonna do the speech. Usually do. Its far easier to remember techniques and elements of a speech than to remember a short story I think anyway. Fair play to those who can remember the stories:D

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

Speech or radiotalk.....bring it on son!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

Damn it... I've been against people learning off essays for ages... telling people not to do it... come in to this thread and what do I do? Vote yes by mistake. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Damn it... I've been against people learning off essays for ages... telling people not to do it... come in to this thread and what do I do? Vote yes by mistake. :rolleyes:
    Your error has been rectified by the omnipresent and omnipotent mods! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

I had no idea you guys could change poll votes!
    What other polls have you been messing with eh? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Just the "Who is the sexiest LC mod?" one.

I was getting far too many votes, and poor old Knifey and Fad were getting all depressed.

Piste, ofc, is in a class all of her own.

Just remember that mods, like LC invigilators, see far more than you think!

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

Conor108 wrote: »
    Im gonna do the speech. Usually do. Its far easier to remember techniques and elements of a speech than to remember a short story I think anyway. Fair play to those who can remember the stories:D

Is a speech like a personal essay? Is it mainly about acknowledging the presence of the crowd?

(Just noticed two words I cant spell in that sentence:o)

I am very happy with the results and am no longer guilty for not bothering. People say it only has to be slightly linked but P is marked out of thirty. I couldnt see them getting full marks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭FerrisBueller

No point in learning off an essay, it'll completely throw off your focus and you'll force it into one fo the titles in some way or form even if it's not relevant and therefore you'll lose marks. One of my friends memorized an article which he found in the Weekend supplement of the Irish Examiner, I went in there with an imagination, and I got the better mark.

Learning off essays for English is pretty much the worst thing you could do. With all that time and effort you could have practiced your actual writing skills and stood a much better chance of working with the titles on the day than forcing something to work when it doesn't.

I was having a read of the marking schemes, and even the in the story option where you work in a photo it has to be very prominent in the story; you can't just mention it in passing and move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

I'd pick bit off both like get a grasp you know then twist it around so it fits an answer...

Advertisement