Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-capitalist tyre slasher given chance to avoid prison

Options
  • 08-06-2010 7:48pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭

Everything in quotations is class:
    Anti-capitalist tyre slasher given chance to avoid prison
    on 08/06/2010 17:59:34

A man who was one of a group of three that slashed 128 tyres because of "some sort of complaint they had about capitalism" has been give a chance to avoid prison by coming up with compensation and getting into a college course.. A man who was one of a group of three that slashed 128 tyres because of "some sort of complaint they had about capitalism" has been give a chance to avoid prison by coming up with compensation and getting into a college course..

Michael Somers (aged 23) of St. Catherines Foyer, Marrowbone Lane, Dublin 8, caused €22,314 worth of damage to the vehicles the group targeted that night. He later told gardaí that they only selected vehicles that were registered after 2003.

He pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to three charges of criminal damage September 18, 2007. The charges represented a sample of 24 counts. He had no previous convictions and has not come to garda attention since.

Judge Katherine Delahunt took the "highly unusual step" of adjouring the case for over a year to let Somers "put his money where his mouth is." She said she also wants to see if he gets into a degree course he is planning to do. Somers' stepmother has already paid over €1,000 in compensation.

Judge Delahunt said she wanted to support Somers in his efforts to "get his life back on the straight and narrow" but warned him this support would cease if he reoffends. She remanded him on continuing bail to appear in October 2011.

Garda Susan Rowland agreed with Mr Erwan Mill-Arden SC, (with Mr Pieter Le Vert BL), defending, that his client was living in a hostel for the homeless at the time having previously been discharged from a psychiatric hospital.

She agreed that he was approached by this other person who was "very upset with the world" and he got involved in the scheme having seen something on "YouTube".

Gda Rowland told Mr Garnet Orange BL, prosecuting, that 77 tyres were slashed at Rathdown Motors in Templeogue after the group had wandered through Rathmines and Ranelagh cutting the tyres with a fish gutting knife.

Somers was arrested from CCTV footage and made full admissions. He told gardaí that he had been smoking cannabis earlier that day.

Mr Mill-Arden told Judge Delahunt that Somers' mother died when he was quite young and his father passed away four years ago. He started drinking heavily at 15 and abusing cannabis at 19 years old.

He said that Somers had psychiatric problems in the past and had been prescribed anti-depressants and attended a psychiatric hospital.

Mr Mill-Arden said his client has since started a Fetac course and wanted to pursue a career in camera repair.

Love this story :pac:

SENTENCED TO COLLEGE
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

That is awesome!

They should have sentenced the guy to a politics course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Maybe it was this fella

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

Aw, cry me a fcuking river. I know what I'd have given the little pr!ck.
    He said that Somers had psychiatric problems in the past and.............................and attended a psychiatric hospital.

Oh boo fcuking hoo! I wonder had his psychiatric problems anything to do with:
    He started drinking heavily at 15 and abusing cannabis at 19 years old.

JUSTICE MY ARSE :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

"some sort of complaint they had about capitalism" .......He later told gardaí that they only selected vehicles that were registered after 2003.

Sure when the revolution comes everyone will be driving Merc's

But only Merc's manufactured before 2003 mind !

You sound "very upset with the world" ?

Id stay away from Youtube If I were you :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

I know this is AH but please to no RABBLE, RABBLE in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Where's me tyre iron?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Somers was arrested from CCTV footage and made full admissions. He told gardaí that he had been smoking cannabis earlier that day. (we added this part because we are cnuts)

What in the fcuk does this have to do with anything? It establishes the fact that they haven't a clue about cannabis.

Sorry, it was the words 'Anti-Capitalist' that set me off :o

What in the fcuk does this have to do with anything? It establishes the fact that they haven't a clue about cannabis.

Im a bit confused about that part.

Is the fact that he smoked cannabis supposed to be:

1) An aggravating factor ?
    2) A mitigating factor ?
    3) Irrelevant ?

Mike 1972 wrote: »

2) A mitigating factor ?
    3) Irrelevant ?

If he wasnt smoking cannabis it would have been all Mercs

• Advertisement

2) A mitigating factor ?
    3) Irrelevant ?

I'd imagine mitigating. It was used by the scummer who stabbed the two polish lads with the screwdriver (cannibas amongst other substances)

His defence seems to be something along the lines of:

'I was stoned, I had a bad childhood, I didn't know what I was doing as I slashed car after car after car, only certain years numberplates mind'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

2) A mitigating factor ?
    3) Irrelevant ?

He must have went into one of those famous marijuana rages I keep hearing about...

This is not the 50's anymore... jesus...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It sounds more likely it was due to his parents dying at a young age which made him turn to a bad crowd and drugs. It says so right there in the article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Mute

He must have went into one of those famous marijuana rages I keep hearing about...

This is not the 50's anymore... jesus...

My friend was high on weed the weekend while sitting in the passenger seat of my car.

He pleaded with me to slow down.

We were still in the driveway:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

2) A mitigating factor ?
    3) Irrelevant ?

"Very true,mate."

*passes joint*

At least we all know that the youtube defence is permissable in Irish courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

your friend is a moron

I bet your not a judge ;), you can't just pre-judge people & then lash out with anger in the form of a prison sentence, it's not working in overcrowded american prisons & it wont work here.

Look at the guys history, it's seriously messed up & this could be a chance to change for the better, what's the point of putting him into an overcrowded prison where he can foster the hate?

This doesn't even sound like the childish pseudo-anarchist rebellious thing, it's too psychologically charged.

Also, why would anti-capitalist set you off?
    I'm guessing it set you off in the same way it set me off, i.e. it is that stupid type of rebellion thing kids do to fight the system.
    That's not anti-capitalism it's just ignorance of facts, stupidity & vandalism... but I may be wrong in that guess :pac:

childish pseudo-anarchist rebellious thing..... that stupid type of rebellion thing kids to to fight the system.

Around the corner from me someone has painted on a wall in large letters

OBAY NO COMMAND

Given that the (misspelled) statement is in point of fact a command Im at a bit of a loss as to how one should respond ?

Around the corner from me someone has painted on a wall in large letters

OBAY NO COMMAND

Given that the (misspelled) statement is in point of fact a command Im at a bit of a loss as to how one should respond ?

:p

That's brilliant, is that in Dublin?

I like the slogan, "question everything" because you start to question that statement "question everything" first, whether it causes people to question anything else apart from that slogan idk...

Anyway, the wall slogan is childishness in my view, but you get what the meaning of the statement is. I wish these taggers would start spray painting their favourite pieces of literature from their favourite anarchist material instead, but you know they've never actually read any of it... ;)

• Advertisement

No, I know, listen I have a smoke. Yeh, he had a bad childhood but so do loads of people. Its just the lame assed pleadings he's giving are making me see red.

His stepmother gets to pay for the luxury of his fake principles, doesn't sound too bad of a woman to me. His Dad is dead 4 years and she treats his as her own from what I can see.

And on top of that he's pointed to College. Fair enough, I dont have a problem with Rehabilitation, but its the whinings on top of that. HE should pay the bill for the 128 tyres. Why shouldn't he. As I said loads of people have hard times growing up.

/rant

That's brilliant, is that in Dublin?

Nope Antrim
    I wish these taggers would start spray painting their favourite pieces of literature from their favourite anarchist material instead, but you know they've never actually read any of it... ;)
    Speaking of Anarchism Ive always wondered how Anarchist bookshops deal with shoplifters ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

rovert wrote: »
    Everything in quotations is class:

Love this story :pac:

SENTENCED TO COLLEGE

For some reason this story reminds me of this chap...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

Mr Garnet Orange BL

Ha ha.

Speaking of Anarchism Ive always wondered how Anarchist bookshops deal with shoplifters ?

lol, I'd say they encourage it :p

No, anarchism has nothing to do with theft, but then again what do I know, I've only read about it, I'm not hardcore like those taggers and their refusal to OBAY :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

If he was stoned, I thought he wouldn't have been fcked walking around slashing tires

No, anarchism has nothing to do with theft,

Used to work with this guy who reckoned he was a "Christian Anarchist"

Could never figure that one out I mean:
    Christianity = "Thou shalt not do this.....Thou shalt not do that"
    Anarchism = "Do what ya bleedin like ???"

I never decided to ask though. Not so much out of concerns over discussing religion and/or politics at work as concerns over encouraging the guy to spout (even more) shyte

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Why hasn't this not been posted?

"Christian Anarchist"

:eek:

'nuff said ;)
    Anarchism = "Do what ya bleedin like ???"

I get what your saying but that's not a correct characterization of anarchism, that is anarchy in the demonized sense of the word :pac:
    You should read that essay, it's interesting & if you ever meet your christian anarchist friend I'm sure you could school him with some basic facts in an informed way :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

anarchism is ****. Anti-Captialists have some points but generally no solutions.

That said, as a centre rightist who sees the State as the greater enemy I dont care if this guy goes to jail or not. If he can pay back ( his debt to society), and save the State money in Jail costs so be it. This wasn't violent, it was political, and nor was it the kind of politics which demanded or could cause violence against an individual. Nor was it breaking and entering - which is more serious as it reduces people's confidence in their home, nor was violence threatened or implied against a person - which is always the case with muggings.

So, Well done judge.

Advertisement