Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Paper 1 tips

Options
  • 08-06-2010 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭

Well English paper 1 is tomorrow so I thought I would give a few tips on the paper before we all go to our doom!!!!!! lol

Comprehension:
    The important thing about the comprehension is the questions itself. Normally 2 written comprehensions are present and another 1 with pictures. Read ALL the part A's and part B's on all the comprehensions and decide which ones you are going to do before you start the paper. N.B you CANNOT answer a part A and part B on the same comprehension. They must be from a different comprehension. So just read the question carefully and be sure to put some a reasonable amount of content in your answer.

Unseen Poetry:
    Use the following format for answering the Unseen poem - S.L.I.T.S
    S = Shape, L = Language, I = Imagery, T = Theme, S = Style.
    Eg. If the poems title is "Rhapsody" used as an example from the papers of the previous years, try to analyze the title. It suggest music and romance and then compare it to the poem. Check and see if there is end rhyme or if its free verse (non-rhyme) and link it to the title.

Essay:
    Not many tips I can give on this one, it is always up to you to do this in your own style. Depending on what your strength is, choose one that suits you. I will be most likely doing the descriptive narrative as I'm good at using description.
    Try to do out a plan before you write an essay and always stick to it. Pace yourself and don't get carried away. Try to develop your characters so that the examiner might sympathize with him/her and use detailed description to help bring the essay to life.

Before you go into the exam, make sure you have had something to eat and a decent bit of sleep. If your a smoker (like me) then have a cigarette or two before entering the exam hall to help with any tension your feeling.
    Most of the time English paper 1 is just easy marks to help you toward an honour. Try not to worry about it too much and just relax. Try to stay in the hall even after others have left and try to add more to your answers if you have time left over or atleast recheck your essay for mistakes.

Sorry I couldn't be more detailed but I have to go study. King Lear is going to be my downfall on paper 2 and I need to learn his character to the tee.

So good luck and remember to have a good breakfast and a decent amount of sleep tonight.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

Ehh I think all that study is getting to your head because unseen poetry isn't on paper 1 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Nice. One thing I'm going to try is staying in the hall for the whole duration. I usually just do it and feck off, but I think it's kind of important to stay on for the whole show, especially in stuff like Maths and Irish where small mistakes may creep in and using the time left to read over or proof read would catch these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

Know letter layout (especially formal)...

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

Everyone's forgotten one of the main tips!!
    Don't forget to look for the General theme of the paper!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭klose

read the question!!!!!....twice, maybe 3 times

caught me out many times before even in the mocks, i wont be making that mistake so dont let it happen to ye....youd be surprised:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

What's the difference between the formal and informal letter layout? :eek:

Orlaladuck wrote: »
    Haha I forgot to do this in my mocks and only found out what it was after. Definitely won't do that again!

Finical wrote: »
    What's the difference between the formal and informal letter layout? :eek:
    Formal letter has the recepient's address on the left hand side.

Formal letter has the recepient's address on the left hand side.
    Lifesaver, cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Stryderman

Orlaladuck wrote: »

I'm sorry..WHAT?:confused:

Stryderman wrote: »
    Like for 2009 it was a decision, for 2008 it was identity. Basically all the texts titles have a similar concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

It's the general theme on the front of the paper.The mock I had was competing.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Stryderman

Thanks I'm just after noticing that now! Is it important?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

To be honest, I rarely find that all of the essays are related to it. Maybe loosely, but usually not that much.

You could ignore that one word on the front page, answer your Qs and still get full marks

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

not really,if you dont know it its not like it'll make MUCH difference but it will definatly help

Well just make sure you recognize it straight away. Some of the compositions are based closely on that theme and some loosely.

stainluss wrote: »

You could ignore that one word on the front page, answer your Qs and still get full marks

Of course it's not like that one word is the key to the whole paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭fauxshow

I find that if I look at the theme and then quickly jot down beside it the first few words that come into my head BEFORE turning over and reading the paper, it helps get the ball rolling in terms of essay ideas etc, and just focuses you into the exam mindset. It inspired my mock essay, but like previous posters said it's not a huge issue. Some people prefer to ignore it completely! Good luck to everyone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

I was just wondering the same thing. I guess, it would help to help inspire ideas when answering the questions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

gant0 wrote: »
    Ehh I think all that study is getting to your head because unseen poetry isn't on paper 1 ;)

I know that but I see paper 1 as a kind of "Do it yourself" paper for English so I naturally include the unseen poem in study tips for it. Basically because the unseen is DIY work I study it as part of paper 1. I know its confusing but it helps me study better lol

Advertisement