Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA-Mature student-full time

Options
  • 08-06-2010 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

I am looking to go to College as a Mature student full time, the only problem is i don't qualify for BETA as i need to be unemployed (on the dole) for 9 mths prior.

I don't want to sit around being a bum for 9 mths before hand wasting time, it would drive me mad & financially of course! Surely this is only enticing people to be signing on?

I was thinking of working in the North & sign on in the south for 9 mths?? I know this is probably not legitimate though! I just don't understand why i have to sit around to qualify??

Just wondering if anyone has advice on this it would be much appreciated!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭GSOIRL

mazi wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

I am looking to go to College as a Mature student full time, the only problem is i don't qualify for BETA as i need to be unemployed (on the dole) for 9 mths prior.

I don't want to sit around being a bum for 9 mths before hand wasting time, it would drive me mad & financially of course! Surely this is only enticing people to be signing on?

I was thinking of working in the North & sign on in the south for 9 mths?? I know this is probably not legitimate though! I just don't understand why i have to sit around to qualify??

Just wondering if anyone has advice on this it would be much appreciated!!!!

I was in a similar situation a few years ago. I was on the dole but only for a couple of months.I was told by the welfare and some TD's (who I contacted because I thought the whole thing was stupid) to sit on my ass for the full year and go the following year. I was not willing to do this. Fiona O'Malley told me to get a part time job and go to college as that's what she did. She didn't get any help from Dessie supposedly. None what so ever.

So 8 years on I'm now trying again to go back to college after working for the last 8 years and saving.

Not having a go. Just telling you how it happened for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭duffflash

If you were laid off your job and were awarded statutory redundancy I think you might qualify so long as you qualify for the dole. Otherwise look for some fas courses that might help you with your college course as time spent with fas counts for your 9 month.

I hope this helps:)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mazi

Thanks guys, but i really dont want to waste my time doing other courses to pass the time that i will never use & maybe taking a place of someone that needs it in a course. The redundancy doesn't apply to me as i am in full time employment with no offer of that in the future as the industry i'm in seems to be recession proof. If anyone else has any other advise i would be much greatfull!?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Work for the year and save up for college, then work every summer or during term time to help pay for the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭iwannagoonstric

what industry is recession proof?? your boss can lay you off and take me on!! or you could cut your hours down to a three or four day week if your boss would be any way helpful to you - this way you can sign on for the days you are not working for nine months - and still work your little butt off so you won't feel like a 'bum'. (if you work in the north and sign on in the south - how is this better? Wouldn't you still be a bum getting tax payers money.) Be careful what you wish for!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

you now only qualify for BTEA on courses in Education i.e. teaching etc.
    look it up!
    try get a grant instead.

Piriz wrote: »
    look it up!
    try get a grant instead.

seriously, sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

a grant could cover your fees and perhaps more...
    then get a part time job (if you can)..
    tbh its what everyone else does..
    good luck

Thanks for the advise guys, i just dunno where to start with grants etc! I did ring the county council & they said i would only get a grant of approx €3k & reg fee paid. Just worried that i wouldn't be earning enough to cover my personal loans too.If you go to college in the north do you still qualify for the irish grant?

As far as I know you can get a grant and the fees paid for college in the north, it works just the same as if it were in the south. good luck with it all. I hope to get my fees paid - if the college accepts me, but am preparing myself for a wee battle with the council and welfare. swear, sometimes i think i would have been better off never ever getting a job and going straight on the dole at 18.

• Advertisement

As far as I know you can get a grant and the fees paid for college in the north, it works just the same as if it were in the south. good luck with it all. I hope to get my fees paid - if the college accepts me, but am preparing myself for a wee battle with the council and welfare. swear, sometimes i think i would have been better off never ever getting a job and going straight on the dole at 18.

I know what you mean it's a joke! It's easier to get welfare not working than those of us trying to actually make something or ourselves!

Take Care & good luck with the grant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Going back to college this year and not entitled to a grant. Hoping on getting a job but fk it if i dont have to. If i was made redundant, i would get the BTEA? Would it be a weird question to the boss if i asked to be made redundant?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Piriz wrote: »
    look it up!
    try get a grant instead.

Not true.

The BTEA covers full-time second level courses in Adult Education Centres, e.g Junior & Leaving Cert, FETAC Levels 3,4,5, & 6

It is also available for full-time undergraduate courses in any discipline. That means courses at HETAC Levels 6, 7 & 8 as well as all full-time courses to degree level in the Universities.

The BTEA is also available for Higher Diplomas in any discipline and the Graduate Diplomas in Education but for no other Postgraduate courses.

Info below taken from the DSP website
    http://www.welfare.ie

Third-level option
    You can attend a third-level course of education at any university, third-level college or institution, provided that the course is a full-time day course of study and is approved by one of the following:

Department of Education and Skills for Higher Education Grant purposes
    VEC Scholarship Scheme
    Third Level Maintenance Grant Scheme for Trainees
    Higher Education and Training Awards Council (HETAC) recognition.
    If you already have an undergraduate third-level qualification, (i.e., you already have a degree) your application for a Back to Education Allowance may still be considered. You should get in touch directly with the Back to Education Allowance Section at the Department of Social Protection.

You may get the Back to Education Allowance for a postgraduate course of study that leads to a Higher Diploma (H.Dip.) qualification in any discipline or a Graduate Diploma in Education (primary and secondary teaching). Other types of postgraduate qualifications are not recognised for BTEA.

You will not get BTEA if you already have a postgraduate qualification.

Back to Education Allowance is not payable during the summer months. You may however be eligible for Jobseeker's Allowance or Jobseeker's Benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Lauras5839

What I did when I was in your position and was facing a wait to qualifiy for the BTEA was to enroll on a FAS course in computing to get my ECDL because

a) I still was paid the full amount of my dole by FAS and
    b) Time on FAS courses counts towards the nine months of being on social welfare to qualify for the BTEA scheme.

This worked for me because it kept me occupied mentally I met new people and I was able to keep my payments. Once I'd finished the course I had to only wait the few summer months before the start of college in Sept 09.

Hope everything works out for you! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Vanhalla

crazy there you have to be on the dole for 9mths to get it. yet they want ppl to work full time for the 200 quid a week

anyway ive been on the BTEA for the last 2yrs and have got myself a diploma but would like to go on and do the degree but probably wont be able to this year. anyone know if you can take a year out and get the BTEA when you go back to college?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Pa_Trick

I will be applying for the BTEA soon enough as I have been offered a place in university and accepted it.Both my partner and her daughter are dependants,and this is reflected in my social welfare payments.I was just wondering if the BTEA takes this into account also,or is it paid at just a standard rate?
    I will greatly appreciate any information anyone can provide on this issue.

Advertisement