Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Desire FM Radio (anyone use it)

• 08-06-2010 8:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone's using the FM radio on the Desire? It seems to be completely useless to me.

Living in the Dublin area, favourite station is Phantom 105.2 but all I get is static, same as other stations. I normally use Sennheiser earphones but I've tried it with iPod earphones aswel. When using the HTC earphones I hear a faint bit of life from beneath the static and this is from my converted attic leaning out the window!!

And I have to say the HTC earphones are absolutely ridiculous!! Where are they going with them? I'd love to know if anyone finds them comfortable or if they'd even stay in your ears! I've liked the standard iPod ones and now I'm using in-ear ones but the HTC ones are absolutely massive!

Cheers for any enlightenment,
    DM

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,027 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Yeah reception on mine is pretty bad, not as bad as you've described but I still can't listen to it for any extended amount of time. The earphones are pretty crappy too, I only use them for handsfree phone calls otherwise I'll just use a decent pair of earphones I have already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Mines grand when im out walking.Absolute sh!te indoors though

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Ample Free ...?

Had my Nexus One for 2 days before I dumped the headphones for a pair of ear bud headphones. A pity that I lost the in-line buttons but my ears wouldn't have been able to survive those things!:rolleyes:

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I sometimes use it to listen to the radio in work, and it is generally fine for me, and no worse than the radio reception on my old nokia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I have much the same problem, fine outdoors but indoors it's unusable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Haven't had any problems reception wise either inside or out, but the radio app itself is very basic. Features like preset grouping is much needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I've had terrible experiences with it.

Complete static with any earphones i use

Turned it on once, never agian unless its fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Depends on where I am if I can use it. Generally its crap. What are the best headphones to replace with? Ones with the switcher on it too. I like that. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

Might be my imagination but the reception when moving seems better since the baseband OTA update yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭opus

Mines grand when im out walking.Absolute sh!te indoors though

Pretty much same for me but that's ok as it's outside I normally want to listen to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

TheDoc wrote: »
    I've had terrible experiences with it.

Complete static with any earphones i use

Turned it on once, never agian unless its fixed
    Do ya reckon it's possible there's a fault with ours?

M450 wrote: »
    Do ya reckon it's possible there's a fault with ours?

Is it a certain radio station that's a problem or all of them?

Using the default radio app with the HTC earphones and have had zero problems sound wise indoors and out and even using the speaker option and its crystal clear for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

Venom wrote: »
    Is it a certain radio station that's a problem or all of them?

Using the default radio app with the HTC earphones and have had zero problems sound wise indoors and out and even using the speaker option and its crystal clear for me.
    It's every station, can't get any of them. When I'm outside I can faintly hear the station behind all of the static.

It's really annoying as I was looking forward to using the radio after moving from an iPod...

It's every station, can't get any of them. When I'm outside I can faintly hear the station behind all of the static.

It's really annoying as I was looking forward to using the radio after moving from an iPod...

Well the radio app can be very glitchy but turning the phone off and back on tends to solve this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭bluefirefly

thats quite a major bug.. you should return it.
    There's a good bit of people in Hong Kong has the same problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭RDMH

Radio is rubbish, static inside and out. Are there any other radio apps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Mine actually works ok but I do think its sensitive to the headphones you use. I got a sennheiser (sp?) and found that the reception was a lot better than the stock htc headset.

thats quite a major bug.. you should return it.
    There's a good bit of people in Hong Kong has the same problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Hillmanhunter1

The radio on my Desire has disappeared! It was on my front screen, now there's a gap, and its not on the menu page. It hadn't been working at all for a few days, ever since I downloaded an app killer which I think interfered with the radio. Can I reload the radio somewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭bluefirefly

elderlemon wrote: »
    Mine actually works ok but I do think its sensitive to the headphones you use. I got a sennheiser (sp?) and found that the reception was a lot better than the stock htc headset.

Yes.because the headset is the antenna for the radio.just like tvs,when its in the rite position and good quality the signal would be good.
    Buy the op said he/she has problems witH EVERY station.that.I think is a big problem.which I spotted in some again forums

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dlorde

Yeah, I have the same problem with FM radio reception on the Desire. I previously had a Sony Ericsson K700i that had excellent FM radio reception. The Desire is almost unusable unless you're close to the transmitter - but even in London, the BBC stations keep breaking up. Out where I live, the Desire FM scanner finds no stations at all, when the K700i received all the main ones without problem... It doesn't seem to make much difference what headset I use on the Desire, it's just poor.

I guess they think that FM radio is 'old tech' and not worth wasting time on. Progress makes things worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 jgoty2001

Anybody had the radio Freeze on them - after a couple of minutes no touchpad commands work not even the close options. It's been reported on other forums but haven't seen it here yet - just wondering if there's a safe definite solution that doesn't require me having to go back to the shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I actually have no problems with the radio reception. I would say its down to the location on where your receiving the reception. Even with the HTC headset its fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Tried to set up the radio at last. Good reception surprisingly. Recognised the first station RTE 1 and I scanned and keyed in a couple more. Then froze completely on a station and although it would appear to move to another frequency stayed on that station. Couldn't shut down either, just kept playing, even when stopped by advanced app. Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭hegarty147

Hi I have the exact same problem , my radio freezes after a couple of minutes and then it stays on one channel and wont move on, i then have yo reset phone, a lot of people seem to have this problem, anybody got any solution?

Advertisement