Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Large Campers and car (B) driving license

• 08-06-2010 8:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

As far as I have read there is a 3500kg limit on a car license and anything above is a C or at least a C1.

This yoke
    says it can be driven on a car license?

Looks a lot like a big ass truck to me. Looks lovely inside mind but what is the definitive answer? Or is it some grey area when it comes to campers?

I am not specifically looking at that truck mind, I am just curious. I was looking more towards a converted Merc Sprinter.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The traditional clientel for motorhomes would be old farts like me ...old farts have/had the old style "B" licence that goes up to 7.5 tonnes instead of 3.5 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I thought I could get the whiff of old man here..... :D

You will need a C class licence for that wagon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Thought so but I had no real intention of buying that. It is rather big to navigate around our country roads where most camp sites are located.

A Merc Sprinter (or simlar sized large van) would be ok though right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

not definitely , depends on the body . We've had them both sides of 3500kg .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Saruman wrote: »

A Merc Sprinter (or simlar sized large van) would be ok though right?

Bear in mind that the 3500kg refers to the gross laden weight, meaning the vehicle plus all passengers, equipment, luggage, water (1 kilo per litre), tents, bicycles, etc,etc...

• Advertisement

So will the engineers report include the weight? If not how do you know how heavy the vehicle is before you buy it? I would hate to buy one only to find out down the road that it is actually overweight for my license and therefore I should not be driving it and possibly have it confiscated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Two separate issues there ...the legal max weight and the actual weight.

The legal max. weight or Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) is on a plate somewhere in/on the van, together with the gross train weight (including a trailer) and the max axle weights.
    This plate will tell you if you're looking at a Sprinter (for example) that is rated at 3.5 tons or 4.2 or even 4.9 in some cases. Even when the van is completely empty and definetly under 3.5 tons, on your licence you can not drive one that is rated higher.

For the actual weight (be that empty or fully fitted out) a vehicle weighing scales (at your local coal merchants or quarry for example) is the only way to go.

Be sure to find an accurate one though ...our local one only reads in increments of 50 kg and is out by about 100 :D

Damn this weight thing has been confusing me. People have been saying tons which is a completely different measurement than what we actually use. I am limited to 3500kg on my license which is 3.5 tonnes ;)

So I can buy a sprinter that has a gross weight of 3.5 tonnes as per the badge but the van will not weigh that. It then needs to be weighed and I need to have a comfort zone to accommodate passengers and any other stuff I add to it such as a 30kg Kayak to the roof.

Have I got this now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

So theres gonna be a massive downturn in camper sales in the future because the number of people with the adequate licence will have dropped significantly?

Well its only large campers. I don't think your average camper is going to be over 3.5 tonnes but the large ones and pretty much any American import is likely to be over that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Kenn81

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    not definitely , depends on the body . We've had them both sides of 3500kg .

THe LWB sprinter with the single axle is fine for a B licence although the LWB double axle sprinter is rated for a C licence, has a tachograph and is classed as a lorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭vinniem

Hi Saruman, if your van has GVW of 3500kg then B lic is fine. But if your van without water and all your stuff weighs say 3200kg then you have little payload if you have wife, kids, bikes, kayaks, water, full fuel tank etc. Being overloaded is just as serious an offence as having the wrong licence, so consider the payload of camper. When I bought my camper was told it was 3500kg and thats what was stamped on cab door(checked) but its always the plate under the bonnet that counts(as convertors sometimes uprate GVW) in my case it was 3850kg...****!!! had to get C licence but have it now and can drive any size camper. Just be carefull before you buy, C lic to get is a pain in the hole exspensive and hard enough..in my case it was either get it or sell the van, but never wanted to sell it. Also never listen to a dealer that says you can drive campers over 3.5T on B licence, even had an instructor from a truck driving school tell me it was OK, this is pure BS..try explaining that to the gendermarie.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

I was stopped today by Traffic Corp.

Told me that I 'needed a C license as I have a twin wheel base at rear'. 'No officer', I said, 'the sticker on the door says the vehicle is 3500Kgs'. 'Oh', he says, 'carry on' so I did.

I must check under the bonnet !!!!

If I find that she is badged at 3850kgs do I need a tachograph?!? Have full C license so okay there.

The latest RSA Camper testing manual as far as im aware has exempted campers over 3.5 t needing a taco, speed limiter and reflective side/rear markings. Please anyone correct me on this, but its the last I had heard on this

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Des32

HI
    I have a twinwheel transit rollerteam rated at 3500 gvw, just got it weighed today fully loaded with 4 bicycles and 4 passengers before we go to France next week, weighed in at 3640 kg. The bicycles will be staying at home.
    Has anyone uprated their motorhome gvw in Ireland and if so how and where. I have a hgv licence so that is not a problem.

Hi Des, I have a twin rear wheeled tranny as well but had opposite problem. Had thought she was 3500kg as that's what ford door sticker had on it. But Trigano( convertors) had 3850kg under bonnet on plate. Did not have C lic at time so had to get one. Just check the plate under bonnet it might be 3850kg or higher as twin wheeled usually suggests higher payloads? Good luck with it.

No joy on that Vinniem
    Both Trigano and the Ford sticker read 3500 kg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

I had asked the same question before and nobody seems to know.

Surely there is somebody there who knows how to up the GVW on a motorhome?

Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee

ps I can't find the plate under the bonnet on mine !! Any hints or pics?

The ford sticker on mine is on the passenger door post. The manufacturers sticker is on the step well when you open the drivers door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭davmigil

Excuse the interjection. How tricky is it to get a C license? For the average Joe are we talking lots of lessons driving a small truck?

• Advertisement
Advertisement