Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mum Dipped Baby's Dummy In Methadone

Options
  • 08-06-2010 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭

Article here
    A woman who nearly killed her baby by dipping his dummy in the heroin substitute methadone has been jailed for three years.

Susan Taylor, 29, tried to calm the 10-week-old boy by rubbing the dummy in a measuring cup used for the drug, a court heard.

When paramedics arrived at the scene the baby had vomit on his face, his lips were blue and his face was grey.

Taylor was sentenced at the High Court in Edinburgh on September 11 last year.

But the judge, Lord Bannatyne, banned reporting of the case at the time because her partner, Lynn Cowan, also faced court in connection with the child.

Cowan, 28, was jailed for 10 months at Edinburgh Sheriff Court after she admitted failing to tell medics that the boy had been given methadone.

The High Court in Edinburgh heard that the child, who cannot be named for legal reasons, almost died.

Taylor's jail term was to follow a 26-month sentence she was already serving at Cornton Vale for assaulting and robbing a 66-year-old woman.

Sentencing Taylor last year, Lord Bannatyne said: "It is my view that there's a high degree of recklessness and culpability involved in the course of this offence.

"There was in addition a real danger to the life of this child.

"I note that you have what can only be described as a very serious and bad record."

The court heard that Taylor, who was prescribed the drug, called emergency services when she found the boy was not breathing on Saturday November 22 2008.

Paramedics said Taylor appeared "disinterested" when they arrived at the Edinburgh flat.

Advocate Depute Morag Jack, prosecuting, said: "They immediately noticed that he did not appear to be breathing apart from a single gasp for air.

"He was cold to touch, however there was a pulse."

The two paramedics gave the baby oxygen but he suffered a seizure and continued to fit throughout the journey to hospital.

The court heard that samples from the baby showed "dangerous" levels of the drug.

The baby had no "malicious injuries" on him.

Taylor admitted to drugs workers that she had dipped the dummy into a measuring cup used for methadone on two occasions.

She admitted culpably and recklessly causing the baby to ingest methadone to the danger of his life.

Taylor's defence agent called for leniency and added: "It is obvious to me that she is shocked by the effects of what she did and that she did it without realising just how serious it was."

:eek:
    What was she thinking? Where's the daddy? Why is a convicted assaulter of an innocent old woman allowed to keep her child? This is insane!

And as for her defense: "Taylor's defence agent called for leniency and added: "It is obvious to me that she is shocked by the effects of what she did and that she did it without realising just how serious it was.""...well, that there is called a sociopath, completely unable to comprehend the consequences of their actions, i.e. Unfit Parent.

Here's hoping the baby is safe with normal loving relatives now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I've no idea why they allow drug addicts to retain custody of their children. There is no way an addict can possible do a good job as a parent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Stories like these break my heart. What chance does that poor little child have in life?

Surely during pregnancy, blood tests should have shown this woman to be a drug user, in which case social services should have taken a much bigger role in monitering the baby's care. In other words, if it's shown that the mother is still proven to be taking drugs whilst 'caring' for the child, he should be placed in foster care until whatever time she is proven to be capable of being a responsible parent.
    If she doesn't have the desire to stop using for the sake of her son, there would be plenty of loving people desperate to adopt and care for the poor little mite.

It's a sad fact that you need a licence to own a dog a gun or a television, but any idiot can become a parent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Lillylilly

There are a lot of people on maintenance doses of Methadone every day, and live typically "normal" lives. I'm not condoning the use of Methadone at all, but I think it is possible for people to live with their children with added support. This is when people are ONLY using Methadone, no other drugs. By the sounds of the woman in the artical, she may have been using other substances.

I think that chemists and drug treatment centres that distribute the Methadone should witness the administration of the Methadone so that the bottle never leaves the safety of the centre. If on the right dose, the person is only a bit groggy for a couple of minutes and this would prevent anyone being able to sell it, or use it in inappropriate ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Article here

:eek:
    What was she thinking? Where's the daddy? Why is a convicted assaulter of an innocent old woman allowed to keep her child? This is insane!

And as for her defense: "Taylor's defence agent called for leniency and added: "It is obvious to me that she is shocked by the effects of what she did and that she did it without realising just how serious it was.""...well, that there is called a sociopath, completely unable to comprehend the consequences of their actions, i.e. Unfit Parent.

Here's hoping the baby is safe with normal loving relatives now.

Not defending the woman in this case but you will find that a LOT of times people do things that are unable to comprehend the consequences of their actions, doesn't make you an unfit parent. Inexperienced? Yes. Again, 100% against what this woman done, but don't tar everyone that makes mistakes with the same brush. Crazy things happen with kids, doesn't make their parents bad people. You know?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭eimsRV

Lillylilly wrote: »
    There are a lot of people on maintenance doses of Methadone every day, and live typically "normal" lives. I'm not condoning the use of Methadone at all, but I think it is possible for people to live with their children with added support... QUOTE]

+1

My daughter's cousin is being raised by 2 ex heroin addicts who are on Methadone programs. This child is now 8, she is the most pleasant and well mannered child I've ever met. I'm sure it has been very difficult for her parents, but fair play to them as she is truely a credit.

The story mentioned here is horrifying though and hopefully social services will do whats best for the little boy now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

Here!
    A couple whose 14-month-old baby died of suspected methadone poisoning have pleaded guilty to two charges of cruelty, police said on Friday.

Mother Bonny Richards, 27, and her partner, John Davies, 31, admitted giving the baby the heroin substitute before she died.

Gloucestershire Police said one of the two charges of child cruelty covered a six-month period between July 2008 and January 2009. The other covered a single event.

The prosecution said the pair had given baby Holly Agius methadone on more than one occasion.

The little girl died at the Gloucestershire hospital in January 2009.

Richards and Davies were bailed until sentencing on July 12. They denied a separate charge of manslaughter and the charge was withdrawn by the prosecution.

Methadone is a synthetic drug prescribed to help addicts off heroin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭carefulnow100

This is completly disgraceful behaviour. The fact that any human being would even think of doing this is crazy been honest. The thing I find even crazier is that these couples will be allowed to have more kids in the future!!

Advertisement