Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spain v Poland

• 08-06-2010 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭

Is anyone watching this, 15 minutes in Spain are two up through Villa and Silva and they look sensational, with Iniesta pulling the strings. Definitely confirms my bet for the WC. Lots of links on www.rojadirecta.com , I suggest people watch!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

poland are brutal,seems like a handy training game for the spanish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Second goal was awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

The stream im watching is fox soccer, jesus the commentary would drive me mad, gona have to mute it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭cm2000

curry-muff wrote: »
    The stream im watching is fox soccer, jesus the commentary would drive me mad, gona have to mute it :pac:

is it english? do you know if Iniesta went off injured or was it to rest him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

I'm watching in what I can only assume is Polish :D

• Advertisement

fourth goal awesome as well, the way they move the ball...... poetry

Spanish are a different class

Think I'll head to the bookies tomorrow and put a few quid on them

fifth goal just awesome, can see their odds being slashed after this display!

Magnificent 5th goal, fantastic play in the build-up :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

awesome just awesome,6-0 looks like poland were asleep for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Iniesta went off injured, really hope hes not out for the WC... My fav player.

That's it folks, 6-0 and the message is basically, WC2010 beware, the second and fifth goals sum it all up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Spain's problem isn't taking part the likes of Poland in meaningless friendlies. It'll be interesting to see how their fare against Brazil/Portugal/Ivory Coast in the last 16 game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Iniesta was amazing in the first twenty minutes. I was wondering how his fitness would be but he was top notch. His passing was incredible. Commentators in Spain said he just took a knock on his right thigh.

Fabregas and Torres did really well once they came on. At first, Torres looked a bit out of shape, no surprise there, but he settled in to game and played pretty well.

Alonso had a good game too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Iniesta was amazing in the first twenty minutes. I was wondering how his fitness would be but he was top notch. His passing was incredible. Commentators in Spain said he just took a knock on his right thigh.

Fabregas and Torres did really well once they came on. At first, Torres looked a bit out of shape, no surprise there, but he settled in to game and played pretty well.

Alonso
    had a good game too.

Lol its a freaking dream team :p

That's not even mentioning Xavi, Villa, Puyol, Pique and the three keepers they have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

That second goal was sex

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Unstoppable. Can't see past themselves,Italy or Brazil for the big win.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Wow. Poland were fairly brutal but some of that interplay around the box is beautiful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Sorry, haven't seen Spain play in a while. Just wondering who will be taking Sennas place/role in the starting XI for the World Cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

bonerm wrote: »
    Sorry, haven't seen Spain play in a while. Just wondering who will be taking Sennas place/role in the starting XI for the World Cup?

Alonso most likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Spain's problem isn't taking part the likes of Poland in meaningless friendlies. It'll be interesting to see how their fare against Brazil/Portugal/Ivory Coast in the last 16 game.

I would imagine the same way which they took Germany and Russia apart in 2008. 1-0 was a very flattering scoreline in the final, while Russia were soundly thumped twice. The only team to cause them any problems then was Italy, but even at that, Italy started the game in classic Italian defeinsivenmess and looked like they were after penalties from the opening minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I can't help but think that Spain can't possibly live up to all this hype.

Pedro is a machine. Hope he gets a chance at the finals. He will score if played. What a 12 months he has had.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The game deserves a World Cup won by a team playing this way. The second goal was beautiful and I still can't make out whether Torres actually adjusted his foot to strike the fifth one or if it was played right onto his toe as he strode into the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Think they will probably face Ivory Coast in last 16 - win that and then meet Italy in the quarters, where they will exit!

Would not mind being proven wrong though!

gimmick wrote: »
    I would imagine the same way which they took Germany and Russia apart in 2008. 1-0 was a very flattering scoreline in the final, while Russia were soundly thumped twice. The only team to cause them any problems then was Italy, but even at that, Italy started the game in classic Italian defeinsivenmess and looked like they were after penalties from the opening minute.

Doubt they will take Brazil apart. I think Brazil will really enjoy playing them actually as Spain are so attacking.

The game deserves a World Cup won by a team playing this way.

And yet rarely are.

• Advertisement

I get the sense that people do not want Spain to win because they play such nice football?

More people seem to be talking of "how they will be found out" rather than how they might actually take the games to people and not allow themselves to be "found out".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I get the sense that people do not want Spain to win because they play such nice football?

More people seem to be talking of "how they will be found out" rather than how they might actually take the games to people and not allow themselves to be "found out".

Its the Dunphy Mentality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Its the Dunphy Mentality.

Hardly, seeing as Dunphy loves the Spanish game and is an expert on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

For me, this World Cup is going to be the Iniesta World Cup. Messi and Ronaldo are cursed by their teams being flawed, but Spain's team is solid all over, and Iniesta is a big game player to the extreme. Really expect him to light up the world cup.

Yes, Dunphy is the oracle when it comes to the Spanish game.

I don't think Spain will be "found out" as they are a great side. I don't think they will win the World Cup though.

• Advertisement

They're going to get '74ed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Des wrote: »
    Dunphy loves the Spanish game and is an expert on it.

This is true. I heard he watches both El Clasico games every season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Thank God I put them as the winners in the world cup predictions.

There is certainly merit in the argument that the team thats plays the most attractive football isn't often the one that actually goes on to win the tournament though.

How many times has it happened that the team that plays the "best" football goes onto win it? Apart from 1970, not that often. It doesn't mean people want it to happen per se. I do think Spain aren't that good that its not worth making the argument against them.

flahavaj wrote: »
    There is certainly merit in the argument that the team thats plays the most attractive football isn't often the one that actually goes on to win the tournament though.

How many times has it happened that the team that plays the "best" football goes onto win it? Apart from 1970, not that often. It doesn't mean people want it to happen per se. I do think Spain aren't that good that its not worth making the argument against them.

I'm struggling to remember anyone playing nice football in 2002 but Brazil were maybe the best of a lousy bunch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Aside from obvious reasons (some of the same players), this Spain team reminds me of Barcelona in the way they play. They are an extremely talented bunch who will be very hard to beat. They have the best midfield in the tournament especially if they can avoid any niggly little injuries. I think there are a couple of teams capable of beating them mainly the dogged type of teams like Italy, Germany and Brazil. Plus they have to overcome the immense pressure of being the favourites for the competition and of course their woeful history in the tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Similarities between Barca, Real + few others and Spain - with Ajax and Feyenoord sides of 70's + few others - and you've a superb national side playing effortless and classy football.

Can't see much stopping them bar bad luck. They're just that good.

Latest on Iniesta's knock. It's very vague.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8729849.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

This wonderful form and hyping up of Spanish chances reminds me of Argentina in the last WC. During the group stages they were playing so well that it seemed that everyone thought they were going to walk it to the finals.

Then they struggled past Mexico in the last 16 before being knocked out by Germany in the QFs.

Bearing in mind countless previous let-downs by Spain in the WC I wouldn't be surprised if they flatter to deceive again.

I can't remember if they were favourites for 2008 but they lived up to the hype generated after their group stage. The one tricky game they had was against Italy and they still kept their nerve in the shootout then. They trounced Russia again and were comfortably better than Germany in the final.

This team can live up to the hype and they can win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I can't remember if they were favourites for 2008 but they lived up to the hype generated after their group stage. The one tricky game they had was against Italy and they still kept their nerve in the shootout then. They trounced Russia again and were comfortably better than Germany in the final.

This team can live up to the hype and they can win.

It's happened so many times before, though, that the best footballing team hasn't lived up to expectation. I'd like Spain to do it, playing amazing football,but I wouildnt' put any money on it. For an even more recent example, look at Inter dumping out Barca in this year's Champions League tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

greendom wrote: »
    It's happened so many times before, though, that the best footballing team hasn't lived up to expectation. I'd like Spain to do it, playing amazing football,but I wouildnt' put any money on it. For an even more recent example, look at Inter dumping out Barca in this year's Champions League tournament.

But just look previous to that when Barca won every single competition they entered by playing the beautiful football. La liga, Copa del Rey, Supercopa de España, Uefa Champions League, Uefa Super Cup, FIFA Club World Cup. That is probably the most ridiculous example there ever will be. It most certainly can be done but more often than not it does not happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

For the sake of "beautiful football", it would be great for Spain to win it, IMO.

But then, as I've been saying for ages:

Heart says: "England"
    Head says: "Brazil"

And I'm gonna stick by that...

Advertisement