Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Which BB supplier is best for wireless gaming?

• 08-06-2010 9:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭

Sorry if it's been asked before but i've had Perlico since i got xbox live(6 months) and it sucks, disconnects roughly every 20-25 mins, just for a moment but long enough to kick you off a game.
    I had imagine before and it worked fine, never used it for gaming though.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭dunworth1

first if i were you i would head over to the broadband forum and create a thread about your connection disconnecting randomly and some there might be able to help you fix the problem might just be a setting on the router.

also try to give as much detail as possible to make it easier for the guys

brian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

dunworth1 wrote: »
    first if i were you i would head over to the broadband forum and create a thread about your connection disconnecting randomly and some there might be able to help you fix the problem might just be a setting on the router.

also try to give as much detail as possible to make it easier for the guys

brian

does perlico wireless work ok for other ppl?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

For Wireless Gaming I think the general opinion works like this

1. Metro

2. Imagine Breeze 4mb up and down

Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭dunworth1

i believe he is using perlico dsl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Think he means WiFi gaming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

Jev/N wrote: »
    Think he means WiFi gaming

yep, im using perlico dsl, wireless, i just want something that

1) wont disconnect in the middle of every 2nd or 3rd game(15-20 mins)

2) good download limit 35g+ that doesnt ban pirates

3) wireless, ie not have to drag a wire thru the house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Have Magnet, it does the job really well. Perfect for gaming, even if not on their bolt package

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Imagine's 7mb broadband is quite good. Switched over from Eircom and I prefer Imagine.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I've just moved house and got Magnet and I'm not awfully impressed tbh, but they did say there's some tweaking that can be done on the line, so I've got to get in contact with them to arrange this. They were very helpful though (here on Boards and via Twitter).

Had Smart in my last place but won't be going back to them because their "Unlimited" cap actually means 170GB which is both false advertising (as this is clearly not what the word Unlimited means) and deliberately misleading. FUP my arse. This all came into play when Digiweb took them over, so I'd steer well clear of them too.

I've seen some of the Imagine WiMax stuff and it was apalling, so on the strength of them as a company trying to pull that sort of wool over people's eyes I'd steer well clear of them.

Vodafone - not good since they took over BT's business and they also own Perlico and have heard nothing but horror stories from some people about them.

Can you get UPC? 100MB in some areas :D Shared line though, so it may get a bit congested on peak times, but anyone I know who's using them for intertrons service is very happy. They supply a Wireless router too I believe.

Hope all that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭cypharius

Kharn wrote: »
    I've just moved house and got Magnet and I'm not awfully impressed tbh, but they did say there's some tweaking that can be done on the line, so I've got to get in contact with them to arrange this. They were very helpful though (here on Boards and via Twitter).

Had Smart in my last place but won't be going back to them because their "Unlimited" cap actually means 170GB which is both false advertising (as this is clearly not what the word Unlimited means) and deliberately misleading. FUP my arse. This all came into play when Digiweb took them over, so I'd steer well clear of them too.

I've seen some of the Imagine WiMax stuff and it was apalling, so on the strength of them as a company trying to pull that sort of wool over people's eyes I'd steer well clear of them.

Vodafone - not good since they took over BT's business and they also own Perlico and have heard nothing but horror stories from some people about them.

Can you get UPC? 100MB in some areas :D Shared line though, so it may get a bit congested on peak times, but anyone I know who's using them for intertrons service is very happy. They supply a Wireless router too I believe.

Hope all that helps.

How the hell would anyone use up 170GB? On eircom the "Unlimited" limit was 50GB and I thought that I was bad.

As for the disconnect, I think it's a problem with the XBOX wireless receiver rather then the internet provider, as I have had the exact same problem with eircom and I know other people who have had the problem with other internet providers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'm a power internet user, at least one of my machines at home is online nearly 24/7 and I have 5 devices that need an internet connection. If I do an OS re-install (as I did last Friday), getting patched up to date as well as the essentials like Virus scanners and Firewalls and all the rest is gonna eat bandwidth. Add to that the fact that my Steam folder is almost 100GB, then you're not long hitting the 200GB mark. It's not that I'd be doing that every month, but to be punished for what is perfectly fair and reasonable internet usage (for a heavy internet user like me) is a bit much.

I don't mind paying for the internets I use, but to be sold an "unlimited" service (which I did actually pay extra for) and for it not to be as advertised is unquestionably poor practice. If the company supplying the service does not at a fundamental level understand it's customers needs (i.e. LOADSA TUBES), then they don't deserve my custom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

Murtinho wrote: »
    yep, im using perlico dsl, wireless, i just want something that

1) wont disconnect in the middle of every 2nd or 3rd game(15-20 mins)

2) good download limit 35g+ that doesnt ban pirates

3) wireless, ie not have to drag a wire thru the house

If its bad for perlico then its nearly a sure thing that it would also be bad for eircom , vodafone , magnet , and anyone else that rents the line off of eircom.
    Depending on your area if you could get upc rathar than magnet for fibre broadband, its cheaper for a start and if you come across problems with magnet their customer support is absolutely terrible.

Advertisement