Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pub/beer photos

• 08-06-2010 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

I take pictures as a hobby, but have been asked by some beer brewing mates to take a few shots of their beer bottles & taps in pubs. I'm not getting paid for this other than probably a couple of beers here and there-plenty happy with that.
    I was thinking of some closeups on the bottles, taps, and also some nice setups with bottles and glasses and taps with some nice narrow focus on one or two items.
    Has anyone have experience with type of shot or similar-maybe with other drinks or food? I know that food photography is a whole art/business of its own, but I don't want to get too detailed. Will I need a wider faster lens? Should I use a white plexi/sheet backdrop? Will I need additional artificial lighting since there is very little natural light to work with? Or does anyone have any specific ideas?
    I'm working with a Canon 50d with a 28-135mm f3.5-5.6, 50mm f1.8, and 85mm f1.8 lenses; I have access to a tripod and 580 exII flash, but I don't have off-camera lighting options really.
    Here is a shot that I did quickly in an off-licence, but along the lines of what I was thinking.
    4683378964_ea7e643fb6.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Did some work for brochures for specialty beers for a pub, used a 24-70L on a 5d with a tripod with natural light.

2101291507_05112f607a.jpg

2102071716_8c5419ca78.jpg
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2362/2102071716_8c5419ca78.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭jtang

here's a few of mine, its a bit of a hobby to take pices of food that I eat and things I drink

4236427766_6cc99fd747.jpg

4235650129_232208e420.jpg

4236424818_693b177f81.jpg

I kinda like using primes for this kind of pictures, then again, i like primes in general

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭the_tractor

Drink a few beers, inspiration will come.....

3564710614_8ee3c62bdf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Pivot_Al

One of mine
    IMG_6890.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

10617_178662870882_554565882_4470847_2883766_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭jspruit

Thanks for the inspiration so far. Looking also for some commerical-type images.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 328 ✭✭thefly

jspruit wrote: »
    Thanks for the inspiration so far. Looking also for some commerical-type images.

Where to start??????

YOU WILL NEED STUDIO LIGHTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You should really shoot a bottle in 4 stages. The cap, the neck, the label and the base. Light each part separately and then put it all together in PS.

Remove the label at the back of the bottle. You should have NO bubbles in the bottle so leave the bottles to sit for a couple of days so all bubbles disappear.

Also you will need to spritz the bottle with fake condensation to make it look like the beer has been chilled.

These are a couple of simple tips. The lighting is massively important. You will need various light sources, see through paper and various clips and clamps (if your shooting alone)

You will also want a very very good solid tri-pod. Once you get you shot in position you dont want the tri-pod to move even the slightest.

Just a couple of tips. Hope it helps

Thanks for the lighting tips too. I don't have studio lighting, but I will try to use some of those strategies to make things better.

Have not completed this photo shoot onsite yet, but have been able to shoot a few bottles at home with a homemade light tent with the use of flash with wireless trigger. Still working on style and setup but it's kind of fun.
    4813595226_f49ae310bd.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Natural light with good glass/primes looks the way to go. fantastic examples above. Who needs lighting for still subjects??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

If you can try get them outside and with an interesting backdrop.

IMG_0056_beer_wave_1.jpg
    A few more shots here...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

With this shot I would think that you would want all three bottles to be sharp. You will need to shut down the aperture to increase the depth of field to acheive this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Drink a few beers, inspiration will come.....

3564710614_8ee3c62bdf.jpg
    Tell me you've contacted Miller's ad company with this shot?

Can easily see that on a billboard.

Have not completed this photo shoot onsite yet, but have been able to shoot a few bottles at home with a homemade light tent with the use of flash with wireless trigger. Still working on style and setup but it's kind of fun.

Still a lot of work to do. Firstly I can see you and your camera in the reflection of the middle bottle also the sensor on your camera and what looks like a window or tv behind you.

The lighting is still way off. The top and bottom of the bottles are two different tones and the lighting from left to right is also different. Try to get a nice even natural flow of light.

If you can't shoot sections of the bottle at least shoot one bottle at a time and bring them together in PP.

I was doing a bottle shoot myself the other day. It is not yet finished but it might give you some tips.

Firstly backlighting:

BCAF34BB5F1C48CAB286BF9E23F8991B-800.jpg

Then the side label

75461CF7CB544FDEAAEB0DEABD7B1BC1-800.jpg

Then the main label

1DF3B86117594809892E6457BF2260D8-800.jpg

then the neck

1559810B6F2D4998A7EE6CC5B14CCB6B-800.jpg

And now some nice highlights on the shoulder of the bottle

A0C926F9367D4F8490098B4EA3B8DFE3-800.jpg

And then you piece it altogether in PP and you come up with this

3667F0F0B2704248BBF6F06F2C7FD5EF-500.jpg

It's only a rough one at this stage. Still needs a lot of work. The cap could be a little brighter in parts and I don't like the colour of the drink. Don't mind the messy PP as it's not important at this stage. Cleaning up the image is the last thing to do and the most important thing is the bottle. The background can be anything

Anyway hope this helps

CabanSail wrote: »
    With this shot I would think that you would want all three bottles to be sharp. You will need to shut down the aperture to increase the depth of field to acheive this.

In this particular shot I had focus set on the first bottle with a large aperture of f2.8 intentionally. I did take another shot at f8 where all three bottles are in focus a bit more.
    4812970087_3edb9c4315_b.jpg
    photostream

kjt wrote: »
    If you can try get them outside and with an interesting backdrop.

A few more shots here...

Nice shots-I think that I'll use the inspiration to get away from some of the more set studio-type shots too. I'm not sure if I'll be up at 5am like you though and I'm pretty sure that I'd get some major flack from my beer geek friends for getting anywhere near an MGD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Amsterdam%20174.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Some of mine

3185915398_2e32f91bc3_z.jpg

3185927432_793080a4eb_z.jpg

4762273538_91edea4779.jpg

4407730052_423e62d19b.jpg

Nice shots-I think that I'll use the inspiration to get away from some of the more set studio-type shots too. I'm not sure if I'll be up at 5am like you though and I'm pretty sure that I'd get some major flack from my beer geek friends for getting anywhere near an MGD.
    :D so true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

thefly wrote: »
    Still a lot of work to do. Firstly I can see you and your camera in the reflection of the middle bottle also the sensor on your camera and what looks like a window or tv behind you.

The lighting is still way off. The top and bottom of the bottles are two different tones and the lighting from left to right is also different. Try to get a nice even natural flow of light.

If you can't shoot sections of the bottle at least shoot one bottle at a time and bring them together in PP.

I was doing a bottle shoot myself the other day. It is not yet finished but it might give you some tips.

Firstly backlighting:

Then the side label

Then the main label

then the neck

And now some nice highlights on the shoulder of the bottle

And then you piece it altogether in PP and you come up with this

It's only a rough one at this stage. Still needs a lot of work. The cap could be a little brighter in parts and I don't like the colour of the drink. Don't mind the messy PP as it's not important at this stage. Cleaning up the image is the last thing to do and the most important thing is the bottle. The background can be anything

Anyway hope this helps

Jaysus... all that work !!! Flash and studio is still a mystery to me.

could you not just take it outside on a bright day and use one or two reflectors to give balance to the ambient light direction ? Even an aimed mirror to give one edge zing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Remember Boards Exhibition in DCC?

3377463688_ed70757cbb_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭YeGods

My Top-Tip: Photo first then drink the Beer - or you'll end up with and empty bottle in a lop-sided photo (after a few Beers I mean)
    TigerBeer1.jpg

Simplicius wrote: »
    Jaysus... all that work !!! Flash and studio is still a mystery to me.

could you not just take it outside on a bright day and use one or two reflectors to give balance to the ambient light direction ? Even an aimed mirror to give one edge zing?

All that work is right but that's why commercial photographers charge €2500 per day :cool:

Some great examples I found on the web. I know it's a big size but it's even better as you can see the detail and the quality of the shots. This photographer knows exactly what he is doing and his understanding of studio light is clear too see. Even the fake condensation is perfect

dbImage.aspx?id=131

Advertisement