Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EVICTED - EVICTED - Selling house - supposedly

• 08-06-2010 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi All,

Will try and keep this short and sweet, the facts:

- Currently renting house two years. High spec house..
    - Had lease for the first year, second year, no lease provided, small rent reduction (recession etc)
    - House is let by agent via group of investor landlords.
    - First day (two years ago)agent informs that maintenance issues, call the landlord, heres his number xxxx
    - Im not a moaner, but serious issues arose with the house over time, particularly the heating & pipes leaking everywhere, so much so that 3m x 2m part of ceiling fell to the floor in living room, 4 months to fix. pipes burst under stairs, water fixed, but plaster job, 5 months to fix, sewer pipe on first floor ensuite bursts, sh1t all over my tools in garage etc etc
    - Faulty ball cock - 1 year to fix - last three months, serious water scarcity, shower ever second day until one genius connect outside tap with hose to upstairs tank, solves problem temporarily for one and a half months, but requires lots of careful watching the water rise.
    - I sublet rooms in the house, agent was aware and agreed, but seemingly never told the landlords
    - Forwarding same email list of realistic items to be fixed (sending monthly) have arsed attempt to fix most of the items.
    - Average lifespan of tenants - 6 months - sound people, but cant stand the water and heating issues.
    - I take the hit each time...on the dry periods...im so nice..
    - I call the landlord, he ignores me, eventually until the next months rent is due, give rent to the agent, tell them about all the issues, round and round in circle, give the rent, the problems will be fixed - next month comes...same story...this goes onn for a few months..
    - Finally, i with-hold a months rent, given 14 days notice to pay up, after 10th day, i payed up the arrears, and the month ahead in advance, 5 days early. Asked for another smalle rent reduction...
    - 3 days later - EVICTION NOTICE - Seemingly selling the house.
    One last thing
    - The house is currently up for rent again, same house, same picture, same description, slightly different location...as in, down the road 500m.

What can i do..should i sue, what about you, what would you do, if only you knew??

I have called threshold, some general advice so far, like to hear yours/opinion etc

HEEELLLPP!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

While you were renting there you should have lodged a complaint with the PRTB. Not much you can do now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 leroy_brown

Paulw wrote: »
    While you were renting there you should have lodged a complaint with the PRTB. Not much you can do now.

Paulw

The first line says

'Currently renting'

Dont mean to be rude if i sound so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Still call Threshold who will advise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Sorry, thought you said you'd moved out and found it was up for rent again.

In that case, contact Threshold and lodge a complaint with the PRTB.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 164 ✭✭yogy

Hi All,

serious issues arose with the house over time,

particularly the heating & pipes leaking everywhere, so much so that 3m x 2m part of ceiling fell to the floor in living room, 4 months to fix. pipes burst under stairs, water fixed, but plaster job, 5 months to fix, sewer pipe on first floor ensuite bursts, sh1t all over my tools in garage etc etc

I would have moved out at this point ^^

All the other hassle you've experienced might indicate you are a masochist..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Paulw wrote: »

That's not true.

If you're asked to leave because the landlord claims they are selling the property then if they rent it immediately instead they are liable to a fine.

If it turns out it was just an excuse to get you out, then I'd lodge a complaint with the PRTB. Discuss with threshold but, anecdotally I believe you would be entitled to compensation in that situation.

I'm am not 100% sure of that, so please discuss with threshold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

Not to be pedantic, but why would you want to stay?

Follow up if you want on whether he is actually selling the house and if you have any recourse there but I would much rather move to a better kept and reliable house for peace of mind and far less hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭happymondays

quozl wrote: »
    That's not true.

If you're asked to leave because the landlord claims they are selling the property then if they rent it immediately instead they are liable to a fine.

If it turns out it was just an excuse to get you out, then I'd lodge a complaint with the PRTB. Discuss with threshold but, anecdotally I believe you would be entitled to compensation in that situation.

I'm am not 100% sure of that, so please discuss with threshold.

this seems to be quite a regular occurance now, its happened to me in my last house, was told by the landlord the house is being sold and as soon as we left the house it was put back up for rent on daft with an increase of 300 quid a month! I persume that why they wanted us out becuase they knew we would'nt agree to an increase like that.

Same thing happened to a friend of mine recently,

Is this some sort of loophole landlords are using to get people shifted out of thier house asap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Is this some sort of loophole landlords are using to get people shifted out of thier house asap?

It's only a loophole if people don't report them. I've read anecdotal reports of fines in the thousands of euros for doing this.

That's anecdotal, I happily have no personal experience of this situation, but I'd encourage someone in this situation to report the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭dan759

I'm pretty sure there is a law that when you've been living somewhere for longer than two years, if the landlord fails to provide a new lease after the second year you are entitled to live on the property for a number of years anyway. I can't remember what its called. But its well worth checking out. Definitely call into your local citizens information office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Interesting points.. see my thread re eviction notice.

I have talked with Threshold, who say outright, as does our solicitor and the PTRB, that the landlord is in the wrong.

So the forms have arrived and been filled in.

I asked how long it would take and they said months. Presumably as it is in the system, so to speak, the landlord can do nothing meanwhile? I opted for mediation rather than resolution for that reason.

The landlord it seems can take a complaint aganist a tenant for "overholding" ie staying after a VALID eviction notice... But if that too takes months?

Just wondering; we are playing for time to find something you see; so little out there until September..

Also he is not registered so that will add time also....

I hate being "devious" but really!

Has anyone direct experience of this please?

Advertisement