Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domino Pizza - Drawda

Options
  • 08-06-2010 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭

Anyone see the guys standing on every corner thoughtout the town advertising any pizza for €10?

A guy in a van with a huge sign also passed me by.

Seen them there the last couple of night's I've been in town for a dvd. Standing in the p*ssing rain!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

Yeah I feel sorry for them, they be at it down Dundalk way as well.

Bad management if you ask me, there are better ways of advertising Dominos than putting their employees out to stand for hours doing nothing, and what annoys me even more is they are using foreigners to do their dirty work.

If Dominos are reading this please know that I will NEVER EVER BUY A PIZZA FROM YOU AGAIN!!! you wouldnt give that position to your own children or even your own pet dog.

I'll say it again for a company with plenty of money to advertise on tele,radio and other sources, I'm absolutely shocked at their behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Ah I worked in a certain bar in town years ago and was regularly sent over town to hand out concessions to drum up business. Nothing wrong with having these lads out if they are being paid a fair wage, and is for a small business but for a company with Dominos ad budget having these poor sods out in the pissing rain is an outrage.

That said though regardless of who they are Domino's would be the last number I'd call for a pizza in town and know many who feel the same. SO maybe they are very quiet? and need these guys out to drum up business? The franchise would be locally owned maybe? As in someone pays Domino's a fee to open a Domino's and run it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

The people holding the signs are not thier employees. I seen a young girl, prob about 14 holding a sign at top of peter street, and another dude holding it that i know works in mama mia's take away, the only person who works for them is the guy in the car with the big stupid sign.

It is a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

I wouldn't head there for a pizza myself. No chance.

Anytime I pass by it though there seems to be a few people in it.

On another note and in no relation to the thread, lol, anyone witnessed the guys up in Tesco cleaning the cars?

I got one guy to do mine for €5 (think they offer €8) a few week's back and have to say he done an excellent job. When I was there the other day no one approached me so I didn't bother. Anyone have any experience of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

They are hardly being forced to hold the signs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bottomdog

Domino Pizza in Drogheda are using humans as poster stands in the centre of town. To my mind it's the most degrading advertising promotion ever. To ask another human being to stand on the corner of West Street with a poster tied around his neck is soul destroying. Fair play to the guys willing to take this job but Dominos should hang their heads for asking anyone to do such a task. I swear I will never ever eat one of their pizzas again.....EVER:confused:

draffodx wrote: »
    It's disgusting , Degrading, despicable, its the lowest marketing stunt ever....shame on Dominos......I will never ever eat there.....

I feel sorry for the poor sap who stands on west street holding the abrakebra sign all day too.

That kind of job should be outlawed, see it in dublin all the time too, they are holding sign for fortune tellers and all other sorts of crap.

In_tuition wrote: »
    I wouldn't head there for a pizza myself. No chance.

Anytime I pass by it though there seems to be a few people in it.

On another note and in no relation to the thread, lol, anyone witnessed the guys up in Tesco cleaning the cars?

I got one guy to do mine for €5 (think they offer €8) a few week's back and have to say he done an excellent job. When I was there the other day no one approached me so I didn't bother. Anyone have any experience of them?

Like you I will never ever eat a Dominos Pizza ever again, Not for FREE, it's degrading to ask people to stand there like that. It's a lifetime boycott for me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Threads merged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

They advertise a job and someone takes it. Gets paid. What's the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TopBombing

bottomdog wrote: »
    Domino Pizza in Drogheda are using humans as poster stands in the centre of town. To my mind it's the most degrading advertising promotion ever. To ask another human being to stand on the corner of West Street with a poster tied around his neck is soul destroying. Fair play to the guys willing to take this job but Dominos should hang their heads for asking anyone to do such a task. I swear I will never ever eat one of their pizzas again.....EVER:confused:

It's done by Domino's in Dundalk as well, seen a guy outside the Lisdoo last week with one.

There's not a day you wont walk down Grafton Street & see the same thing though, it's not as if Domino's have invented it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Sounds like a good deal, Is it any size pizza for €10.00 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Four Star were also doing it in Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭positron

Apologies in advance if I am missing the picture, but I don't understand what's wrong in someone making a few quid standing by the road holding the ad / banner? I am assuming people who do it, are doing it because they can't find better / easier / fancier work? I don't see anything wrong with that to be honest. How different is that from handing out leaflets, or delivering ads or free paper door to door?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

(Quick question - don't want to distract from topic too much)

People can do what they like if they're being paid a fair wage for it. But I think it's pretty amateurish of Domino's, especially if it's in bad weather. Anyway, where else in town can you go for a good pizza and are there any local-owned pizza takeaways?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

(Quick question - don't want to distract from topic too much)

People can do what they like if they're being paid a fair wage for it. But I think it's pretty amateurish of Domino's, especially if it's in bad weather. Anyway, where else in town can you go for a good pizza and are there any local-owned pizza takeaways?

Bella Atina (they have a separate take-away part) is by far the best imo. Although they tend to be just a little pricey but the quality is fantastic and unmatched in town.

Sorrento's is also very nice. A 12 inch Margherita is a reasonable €7.50.
    Usually grab myself a Calzone out of there too and it's always delicous.

Mizzoni isn't as nice as other parts of the country. For instance there branch in Maynooth is quite nice. Garlic bread is fantastic but wouldn't go near there the branch in town much.

That's about it. Ignore everywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

paid yeah.....someones gotta do it..... blah
    at what stage do you see yourself doing it? and dont be flippant, think about it.If that to you is acceptable then you,IMO have no true value on your life:(

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jake The Fat Ma

What I wanna know is where do they go to the toilet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

What I wanna know is where do they go to the toilet?
    jaysus your a joke a mile:)..............................................

not:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

i dont see the issue with it

id rather do that than clean the jacks somewhere

its handy too, stand there all day, you're essentially getting paid to stand up.
    take a radio/mp3 player/paper/book with you, you;d be sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

paid yeah.....someones gotta do it..... blah
    at what stage do you see yourself doing it? and dont be flippant, think about it.If that to you is acceptable then you,IMO have no true value on your life:(

I'm just saying that anyone that does the job is choosing to do it and getting paid for it, their not being held at gun point and forced to do it for free.

Just because it's something you view as degrading doesn't mean these people should be stopped of the opportunity to earn an honest wage if thats what they want to do.

Would you rather they weren't offered the job and were in the dole Q's every month instead?

It would be a great job if ya could stand there holding a sign while munching on free pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

The guy at the bus depot has the best spot as he can sit on the wall...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

I dont know about you guys, but I'd hate to be standing around all day doing nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭drogsnookerclub

one of the lads doing it is in my class in college,only a young fella, grand for someone like that i guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Would you rather they weren't offered the job and were in the dole Q's every month instead?

Likely it's cash in hand and are 1st in the Q to sign on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

Onesimus wrote: »
    I dont know about you guys, but I'd hate to be standing around all day doing nothing.

id rather it than no job tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Dioza

I think peoples main problem is that Dominos can afford a massive ad campaign (those same people would probably give about the money wasted in such an act :rolleyes:) but choose to bring employment to Dundalk and Drogheda which i don't see a problem with. If someone offered me a job tomorrow counting the blades of grass at the side of the m1 I'd be straight on it! If i had a chance to get some extra cash standing holding a sign, deadly!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Dioza wrote: »
    I think peoples main problem is that Dominos can afford a massive ad campaign (those same people would probably give about the money wasted in such an act :rolleyes:) but choose to bring employment to Dundalk and Drogheda which i don't see a problem with. If someone offered me a job tomorrow counting the blades of grass at the side of the m1 I'd be straight on it! If i had a chance to get some extra cash standing holding a sign, deadly!
    No! Everyone should be sitting in an office!

Advertisement