Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating the leaving cert..

• 08-06-2010 10:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

I am repeating this year, and am super paranoid that I will actually do worse this year than my exam last year, I got 380 and was delieghted.. but still didn't get my course. I have changed my courses this year and some of them are ones I would have got last year, had I applied for them. I was just wondering does anyone know that if, for some unfortunate reason, I do worse this year, will they use the points off last years leaving and take my CAO applications from that instead? Just need to put my mind at ease!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I am repeating this year, and am super paranoid that I will actually do worse this year than my exam last year, I got 380 and was delieghted.. but still didn't get my course. I have changed my courses this year and some of them are ones I would have got last year, had I applied for them. I was just wondering does anyone know that if, for some unfortunate reason, I do worse this year, will they use the points off last years leaving and take my CAO applications from that instead? Just need to put my mind at ease!

You will do fine and don't let those thoughts get into your head at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 14 woopah

I'm a repeat too.
    Unfortunately, once you've sat a second Leaving Cert, they completely disregard the points from the first.
    But seriously, don't worry about that kinda thing.
    You've stuck it out for another year, you're going to do fine :)
    Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

if you get less than 380 this year you can use the points from last year. Maybe what woopah means is that you can't add subjects from different leaving certs for points purposes although you can use subjects from previous leaving certs for matriculation entry requirements (apart from medicine applications)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

woopah wrote: »
    I'm a repeat too.
    Unfortunately, once you've sat a second Leaving Cert, they completely disregard the points from the first.
    Nonsense. I actually emailed the CAO about this a few weeks ago to check and they confirmed that If you don't do as well this year in the leaving cert they will take the previous leaving cert points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Lawliet wrote: »
    Nonsense. I actually emailed the CAO about this a few weeks ago to check and they confirmed that If you don't do as well this year in the leaving cert they will take the previous leaving cert points.

Phew thanks! I was really worried about that, I asked my careers advice teacher to find out for me but she never got back to me.. thanks a million :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you leave it a few years they'll completely disregard any Leaving marks, if you want.
    ALWAYS another way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 What to do with my life?!

Hey...first off good luck to all of ye doing the leaving this yr! Brave out! :)

Em I'm considering repeating my leaving cert for the 2010/11 yr so I am just trying to gather as much info as possible about the subjects i'm considering doing so all help mucho appreciated! :):) I did my first LC in 2006 so i'd say there has been a bit of change to the syllabai and I don't know any LC students for the last few yrs so maybe ye can throw up a few opinions! :)

Any info on Bio, Chem, Physics, Ag Science, Buisness, Geography and Home Ec??

Thanks lads! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Hey...first off good luck to all of ye doing the leaving this yr! Brave out! :)

Em I'm considering repeating my leaving cert for the 2010/11 yr so I am just trying to gather as much info as possible about the subjects i'm considering doing so all help mucho appreciated! :):) I did my first LC in 2006 so i'd say there has been a bit of change to the syllabai and I don't know any LC students for the last few yrs so maybe ye can throw up a few opinions! :)

Any info on Bio, Chem, Physics, Ag Science, Buisness, Geography and Home Ec??

Thanks lads! :)

I can only speak conclusively for chemistry and physics, but yes, their courses are the same as in 2006. :) Nearly positive the same sn true for biology, business and Home Ec but I'm not totally sure. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

woopah wrote: »
    I'm a repeat too.
    But seriously, don't worry about that kinda thing.
    You've stuck it out for another year, you're going to do fine :)
    Best of luck!

not true OP ;) if you do better in this try the CAO will use this years points, if not, they will use last years! The only thing is you cant carry points between years but you can carry subjects (e.g needing english for a course but you didnt do it this year, but have done it last year). If you already have the points for the course you applied for your sorted ;) of course keep studying though, just incase of an in increase :P good luck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 What to do with my life?!

Thanks for the replay!

That would be brill if they were the same course coz i got 2A's and a B in them in 2006 but goin for A1's this time round in them...maybe A2 Physics?! Is the Declan Kennedy Chem book still in use so....i think it is called Chem live??
    It's all to do with what courses are prob the shortest n i can can get thru the quickest in the yr...i've not done ag sc, business geo or home ec...so it's the course content n projects layout is what i'm mainly concerned with! Also is there an oral fo ag science or something does anybody know??

Thanks! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭FyeaG

...I ****ed it up on maths first paper, and second one will be even harder, that it, im ****ed, totaly ,anal one... :(

Advertisement