Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie Suggestions

Options
  • 08-06-2010 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭

Hey look, another suggestion thread!

I'm completely tattoo free but am fascinated and respect modern body art. Anyway our little daughter was born back in 2008 and I'm thinking of marking the occasion by getting a tat!

I don't think I'd have the balls to get one on the upper body, so was thinking above the ankle maybe. I have hairy legs, being a bloke...not overly hairy though. I fact I've a bald patch just over both ankles that a tat would fit nicely in.

Her name is Jessica and she was born on 6th Oct 2008. I've seen just plain 'Name' and 'dd/mm/yyyy' that look pretty tack. Some of you might tell me differently!

How about her name in Arabic writing for the name and some roman numerals for the DOB??

Any suggestions please?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 the wizzard

I can understanding you wanting to be different but why Arabic and Roman? Did you have a grandfather called "Cesar" who set up home in the Middle East? Sorry if I appear flippant but if you're celebrating your daughters birth, then shouldn't the tattoo represent her history and culture. (btw, If your grangfather was called Cesar, then you have my heartfelt apologies and you should definitely run with your idea!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

I can understanding you wanting to be different but why Arabic and Roman? Did you have a grandfather called "Cesar" who set up home in the Middle East? Sorry if I appear flippant but if you're celebrating your daughters birth, then shouldn't the tattoo represent her history and culture. (btw, If your grangfather was called Cesar, then you have my heartfelt apologies and you should definitely run with your idea!)

:D After doing a bit more research, I like the look of some scripting. I suppose it's about getting the font right that won't look to out of date in years to come??

Told you I was a complete noob!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

i dont think mashing the arabic script and roman numberals work. why not arabic script and arabic numerals (the ones we currently use).

personally i think that this is one you should work out for yourself. shes your daughter and only you know her as a father so nobody else can suggest an ideal way to comemorate her birth. take your time you have the rest of your life to figure it out

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭ddef

Nah, as the second poster said youre celebrating her birth, therefore her culture and family, so putting it in arabic or roman i think would contradict the reason behind it. just my opinion, its completely up to you though.
    maybe if shes roman-catholic it could work? or even her name in irish?
    And unless you actually want it on your leg, whats wrong with getting it on upper body? get it on your back even if you dont want it on your arms...
    or face. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13 King-of-mice

If your not into tattoos and dont want to show them then your leg is a good place!
    Thank god your not goin down the chinese takeaway route. Arabic is a beautiful txt and a nice way to mark a special addition. Also if its on your calf think about lookin for a good portrait artist. Just my opinion! Iv 3 nieces the oldest is 5, and their askin when im gonna get their picture on me!!! :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

If your not into tattoos and dont want to show them then your leg is a good place!
    Thank god your not goin down the chinese takeaway route. Arabic is a beautiful txt and a nice way to mark a special addition.

I'd like to put it on my arm or my back, but thinking ahead when I'm 55 say and gravity takes hold, it might look better on somewhere where the human aging process doesn't affect too much!

I think the Arabic route is what I'm steering towards now. I might pop into an artist over the weekend as see what can be done

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Anthony Walsh

I've been planing a tattoo for a long time now and have it drawn up, the only problem is that it is Japanese writing and im afraid it is not translated properly. Anyone know where i can get a professional translation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 the wizzard

Get it drawn up by one Japanese person then get another speaker to read it back to you. They should both say the same thing.

Advertisement