Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

External hard disk rescue

• 08-06-2010 10:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭

When is a hard disk finished? I dropped an external hard disk the other day, (not mine!) about 3 feet onto carpet.

Now, when we try to plug it in, there's an error message about too much power on the port hub, and another one about windows explorer being unable to start server admin. Does this mean that the hard disk is kaput?

What to you guys think - can the disk be rescued? How do we do that?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭Verres

It depends on what you've damaged. If you've damaged the disk controller you should be able to open up the enclosure and slave off the disk to your usual HD and read the data from here. Your external drive will be knackered, but at least you wont lose any data.

That's really the best bet. Alternatively you could try bringing it to a PC repair place to see if they can diagnose what's wrong, but if you've anything on that drive that you don't want made puplic (think emails, bank details, photos, IM conversations) then you're better off trying to fix it yourself or just bin it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ApplefyMe

datarescue is a great piece of software for data recovery...Other than that yeah open up the enclosure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Hey, thanks for the responses, and apologies for my not replying, must have looked like I wasn't interested afterwards!

Bought a new HDD enclosure, and transferred the disk from the damaged caddy to the new caddy - all works grand now, and quite a straightforward fix. Thankfully the disk wasn't damaged, and all data is still there.

I've been reminded of my own lack of a backup, so it's off to the shops for me!

Advertisement