Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing formations?

Options
  • 08-06-2010 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭

Hey people, lurked a lot in here but haven't really posted too much.

Question for ye. Do you change your formations each game if your backroom staff suggest it. Like they often say and upcoming team struggles against teams who play 4-5-1/4-4-2 etc. Is it worth changing the formation from a tried and trusted one that you know is your best formation?

I generally find adapting your formation to suit your opponent doesn't really work. It seems to be just disrupting the fluency of a regular formation. Having said that, I do find defensive counter attacking 4-1-4-1 formation works well against teams who are significantly better than your own.

Thoughts? Feel free to discuss anything regarding tactics.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I usually have three pre-prepared formations: one normal shape with attacking mentality (usually 4-1-2-1-2), one defensive w/ counter-attacking (usually 4-2-3-1) and one attacking w/ all out attacking (usually 3-1-2-2-2 or 3-1-2-1-3).

Depending on how good my team is, I usually stick with one and only change to one of the other two if circumstances change.

For instance, if I have a team that is one of the best in the league, I go in to every game with the normal formation and only change to defensive if I'm in a tight game and winning with less than 20 minutes to go. I'll only switch to the attacking one if I desperately need to get back into the game and time is running out.

If my team is a bottom end side, I go into away games with the defensive formation and home ones with the normal one. Sometimes if I'm up against another team at the lower end, I'll go with the attacking style to try and hammer them.

I'd never change my tactics around on the advice of my assistant. For me, the assistant is just the best coach who I use for feedback on the players. I'm the manager and the call on tactics is mine.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I find that 4-1-2-1-2 [overload] works great against most teams that play 4-4-2. (maybe its just the awesome midfielders I have in that dominate the game lol)

I very rarely play a defensive game unless Im up against a big team like Real/barca. Then I would go 4-2-3-1 with 2 dm playing counter.

As for the backroom advice. I only ever change the tempo/width if they recommend it. The rest I do from knowledge of previous games.

Just wondering also, in your manager stats whats your "Tatical consistantcy" or something like that? Mines only 5/20 lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Mines 16, I very rarely change my formation, 1st 2 seasons I had a 4 - 1 (DM) - 2 (CM) - 2 (Attacking Wingers) - 1. But have no changed it to either a 4-1-2-1-2 or a 4-3 (CM) - 1 -2. Both are as effective as each other.

Advertisement