Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil Heating Electrical Socket Box - Quick Question

Options
  • 08-06-2010 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi Guys,

I have just ran an extension cable from the Oil Heating Burner box/shed electrical socket to my shed. The cable is only for a light, as initially i thought i was on a winner. Simple as running a lead in and bingo! Seems not to be the case.

I have ran the cable in to find a problem. The electric only seems to come on when you click the oil heating timer on in the house. So with taking the oil burner plugs out in the burner box and putting only my plug for the light in to test, the result is, it only comes on for about two minutes and cuts off.

Would anybody have an idea what my problem is? Will be most grateful for any feedback at this time.

Kind Regards,
    Joseph.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

The power that runs to the boiler house to run the boiler is controlled by the timer in the house, thats what turns on / off the boiler.

You will only get power in there currently with the boiler switch on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Blitzweb

The power that runs to the boiler house to run the boiler is controlled by the timer in the house, thats what turns on / off the boiler.

You will only get power in there currently with the boiler switch on.

Thank you for your reply.

Is thing a big thing? is there any way around it, as i need a light in the shed.

Really hope i can do something.

Cheers,

Joseph.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

How many cores are in the cable going to the shed??

What type of cable is it (colour, size, armour etc) ?

How is the cable run (in conduit, in the ground etc) ?

2011 wrote: »
    How many cores are in the cable going to the shed??

Its a four way adaptor. If that's what you mean core? I thought it would be ok, as its only for running a small light etc.

What type of cable is it (colour, size, armour etc) ?

Just your normal B&Q four way adopter and cable. Its 8 Metres long.

How is the cable run (in conduit, in the ground etc) ?

My shed is right next to the boiler box, so i have ran it in, with a protective conduit. So the cable is no way exposed to the outside.

Thank you 2011 for your reply.

Joseph.

How many cores are in the cable running to the boiler house?

Standard would be 3 core, live, neutral and earth. are there any more than that?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Standard would be 3 core, live, neutral and earth. are there any more than that?
    Most boilers a wired with a 4 core. Switched feed, permanent supply, neutral and earth.

Some modern boilers allow an external stat to be connected.

2011 wrote: »
    Most boilers a wired with a 4 core. Switched feed, permanent supply, neutral and earth.

Some modern boilers allow an external stat to be connected.

Hi Guys,

Sorry about my delay.

I am not sure what core they are. I am not experience with anything electrical.

Given my problem. How would i go about this? Is it possible to have something done to that electrical socket so i can get electric into my shed for a light? Or will i have to get something else done?

Cheers,
    Joseph.

You could possibly fit a fcu at your time clock, disconnect cable to socket from time clock and move into fcu.

Here is something i have been told by someone. Well along these lines.

Does this make sense and is it a large job?

Joseph.

Blitzweb wrote: »
    Here is something i have been told by someone. Well along these lines.

Does this make sense and is it a large job?

Joseph.

Not exactly sure what you're saying here. Can you elaborate a bit more on the quote you gave there please?

Advertisement