Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crank snapped!

• 08-06-2010 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭

I was stopped at the traffic lights coming into Tempelouge and they turned green, put the foot down and snap!! the pedal and about 1/3 of the crank fell to the ground. It got me thinking later if it could have happened on a high speed decent or was it a high stress fracture due to acceleration from a stationary start.

Is this a rare thing?

Ive only had the crank about 3 weeks, bought it second hand from ebay but the guy had painted it white and put a decal on it, the listing was in spanish so not sure if he claimed it to be something it wasnt.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭Golfanatic

are you looking for a new one how long do you need it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

This probably should be in the cycling forum rather than the Cycling Adverts.

That sounds nearly impossible, had to be a faulty or previously cracked crank with a cover up repair job with the white paint. No way a normal crank snaps under any normal use. What make or type of crank was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

oops wrong forum, ye it looks strange at the area where it separated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Moved from Cycling Adverts to main Cycling forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭8kvscdpglqnyr4

About 12 years ago, I used to commute to work on a mountain bike (with slicks) - it was an OK bike ... can't even remember what Shimano groupset was on it.

Coming home from work one evening, the left crank broke. I didn't think too much of it at the time and just got it fixed. About 3 months after that, the right crank broke! At that point I was really pissed off because it happened at high speed on a roundabout over the M50 ... my manhood came down hard on the crossbar! I was not a happy camper.

I looked up the Shimano website, found an area on the site dedicated to recalls and sure enough, my crankset was listed (there was a serial number on the crank that matched that on the website).

My LBS sent the broken crank back to Shimano and they sent out a brand new left + right crank.

Just looking back through old emails - this is where I read about the crank at the time:
    http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml97/97149.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

Hey,

Breaking a crank takes alot more than a stationary start in a low gear and I know nothing about the physics. I do have an old Deore MTB crank for a square taper BB. 170mm arm length. 22,32,44 rings i think.

Its yours foc if you want it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭Deisetrek

This probably should be in the cycling forum rather than the Cycling Adverts.

That sounds nearly impossible, had to be a faulty or previously cracked crank with a cover up repair job with the white paint. No way a normal crank snaps under any normal use. What make or type of crank was it?

Have to correct you there , it certainly can fail under normal use I have been on this forum before describing how the left crank ( Shimano tiagra) snapped on my Trek 1000 road bike last year . Bike was 2 years old and I was very lucky , coming up a hill pushing hard out of the saddle .....SNAP with crank and SPD pedal attached to my shoe ...ended up in a ditch . Luckily it was the left crank , if it had been the drive-side crank I was out into the middle of the road into traffic . Stress fractures can occur in any castings if air gets in during the casting process , certainly not unheard of ........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

just thought I'd update the thread, it turns out the crank had been drilled by a previous owner as I coincidentally bought the same model again but in original unpainted and undrilled form

the holes werent very symmetrical, the crank was actually decent but structurally flawed, a shimano model 600 which became the ultegra line.

the holes werent visible in the ebay pictures, member doesnt exist anymore but he had 100% feedback over the years.

I'm lucky it broke at traffic lights and not a Wicklow mountain decent!

also had a quill stem fail last nite, also lucky that didnt happen a few days ago in the Donegal moutains! bolt came right thru to the back, the handlebars became a little loose a few days ago which I noticed after heavy breaking and a quick stop as my weight shifted forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

just thought I'd update the thread, it turns out the crank had been drilled by a previous owner as I coincidentally bought the same model again but in original unpainted and undrilled form

the holes werent very symmetrical, the crank was actually decent but structurally flawed, a shimano model 600 which became the ultegra line.

the holes werent visible in the ebay pictures, member doesnt exist anymore but he had 100% feedback over the years.

I'm lucky it broke at traffic lights and not a Wicklow mountain decent!

also had a quill stem fail last nite, also lucky that didnt happen a few days ago in the Donegal moutains! bolt came right thru to the back, the handlebars became a little loose a few days ago which I noticed after heavy breaking and a quick stop as my weight shifted forward.

God your having a run of it. Be on your guard as dont they say things happen in 3's.

Advertisement