Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gravy Recipes Please

Options
  • 08-06-2010 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I’ve recently began to cook regularly for myself. It’s typically a meat and veg meal, with mashed potato and gravy all over (mmmmmmmm).
    Anyway, I use instant gravy each time but would like to know any recipes and alternatives to instant gravy. I often add mixed herbs and pepper to instant bisto which tastes lovely but my concern is that instant is high in calories and bad for cholesterol.
    So any other recipes are welcome. Thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

I always use a "roux" style recipe for gravy. Cook some flour out in the juices of what you've cooked. Add hot water slowly until you get your desired consistency.

The key is to put the spices/herbs you like in & on the meat while cooking because they will generally run down into the gravy juices. I sometimes cook the meat on a bed of root veg to give my gravy an extra dimension.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭matban

This gravy uses Batemans XXXB ale, you could probably use Guinness or some other ale as a substitute, I have made this a few times and it's fantastic

XXXB ONION GRAVY

2 large onions, thinly sliced
    400 ml chicken, beef or veg stock
    100 ml of XXXB
    75 g butter
    1 tablspoon plain flour
    2 teaspoons English or Dijon mustard
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (optional)
    Salt and black pepper

Melt the butter in a heavy pan and cook the onion for 10 minutes until soft, turn the heat down low, cover the pan and cook until the onions are golden brown, about anther 20 minutes.

Stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes and then gradually add the XXXB, stock, mustard and the Worcestershire sauce (if using), stir constantly.

Bring the gravy to the boil and simmer for around 15 minutes, stir frequently, check the seasoning and serve.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,504 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I do something similar enough, matban

I use red wine instead of beer and I don't use flour but instead I liquidise the gravy, so the liquidised onions provide thickness. I tend to add some tomato puree too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

What I do is this...

In the roasting dish that you're cooking the meat in pour in about a pint of water, leave there for about 30 to 40 minutes, the juices will come out of the meat you'll have a really tasty base.

Pour the base into a pot and add all the water from the vegetable pots that was used to boil the veg. Use Bisto powder to thicken and you'll have gravy to die for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

What I do is this...

In the roasting dish that you're cooking the meat in pour in about a pint of water, leave there for about 30 to 40 minutes, the juices will come out of the meat you'll have a really tasty base.

Pour the base into a pot and add all the water from the vegetable pots that was used to boil the veg. Use Bisto powder to thicken and you'll have gravy to die for.

you went to all that bother, and used bisto.if you use cornflour and the juices from pan it is more beautifulif it is too paleadd a tiny bit of browningadd salt and pepper to tasteit is fab

• Advertisement
Advertisement