Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilmacthomas Viaduct

Options
  • 08-06-2010 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭

Was wondering does anyone know the best way to get up onto the railway viaduct in Kilmac? have always wanted to walk along it, is it open to the public tho??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Junior

STIG83 wrote: »
    Was wondering does anyone know the best way to get up onto the railway viaduct in Kilmac? have always wanted to walk along it, is it open to the public tho??

No it's not really, the easiest way is to go in by the Garda station and start walking out the railway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Thanks Junior, i wont get hassle off the guards cos ill be walking behind the station do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 carlovian1

Thanks Junior, i wont get hassle off the guards cos ill be walking behind the station do you think?

haha i doubt they'll even notice you :D i haven't been on the track in years, always loved it up there !!

So i took the plunge and went for a walk on the viaduct yesterday evening, the views are unreal from it, should have went up there years ago!! here a few photos i took. think ill tackle the tunnel in stradbally next

great pictures stig - its really nice and peaceful up there isn't it :)

• Advertisement

I saw parts of kilmac i never seen before!!

I saw parts of kilmac i never seen before!!

haha that must've been some walk stig cos there isnt much in kilmac, although that being said i miss the place !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

has anybody been through the tunnel here

been meaning to go for a long time but havent gotten the oppertunity. Is it still open or has it been blocked up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I did many many (many) years ago, no idea if its possible today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Junior

I think it still is, there's another viaduct over near stradbally as well which is quiet impressive, if not as big as the kilmac one.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

hi, just wondering how long the walk is, as in how many miles please? would you be able to cycle it or would that be too much hassle (getting bike over gate etc)

U can still go to the tunnel in durrow, u can get on to it near the coast road between stradbally and dungarvan, u walk across ballyvoile bridge to get to it, unless there another way, id recommend one tip for anyone going there: Wear wellies!! parts of it are very wet near the tunnel entrance!! i got soaked last time i did it!!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 caroj

U can still go to the tunnel in durrow, u can get on to it near the coast road between stradbally and dungarvan, u walk across ballyvoile bridge to get to it, unless there another way, id recommend one tip for anyone going there: Wear wellies!! parts of it are very wet near the tunnel entrance!! i got soaked last time i did it!!:rolleyes:

Cool, I pass that way regular and to drive under the viaduct at Durrow is spectaculor. I often see tourists slowing down their car to get a better look at the Ballyvoile Bridge, probably wondering where the hell is it coming from/going to :D.

I remember back in the mid nineties when in my teen's, I walked some of the railway at Kilmac. I do remember people saying it was forbidden to walk the track and the guard's would be after you :p. It was probably put out to deter anti-social behaviour on it.

Who does own the line - is it CIE or have parts of it been bought by landowners?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

I havn't really followed the story that closely but afaik the council want to open the line up as a public foot path and the local farmers (guess whats comming next.......) are trying to stop it.

Last I heard was this

Edit> appologies didn't see the orignal date on this thread when I replied

caroj wrote: »
    Cool, I pass that way regular and to drive under the viaduct at Durrow is spectaculor. I often see tourists slowing down their car to get a better look at the Ballyvoile Bridge, probably wondering where the hell is it coming from/going to :D.

I remember back in the mid nineties when in my teen's, I walked some of the railway at Kilmac. I do remember people saying it was forbidden to walk the track and the guard's would be after you :p. It was probably put out to deter anti-social behaviour on it.

Who does own the line - is it CIE or have parts of it been bought by landowners?
    More than likely its the counciland farmers who have it, would be nice to see something done with it, there was talks of making it a walking track, but landowners are kicking up over it, did you ever go up on the bridge in kilmac? here some photos of the tunnel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 caroj

I would think the landowners are probably concerned if someone fell and got hurt on their property they can be sued, so most farmers have public liability insurance and as we all know insurance is expensive.

I know of a case where a member of a shooting party had an accident with a gun (no-one died), sued the landowner whose field he was crossing, he received a significant compensation settlement, so massive issues around it all.

I remember years ago visiting my aunt in the Uk, her friend was a farmers wife (they were actually an Irish couple, Cork born, she was Catholic, him Protestant, their families disowned them when they married in the 1970's, so they left for the UK, bought a farm and settled there! People had funny ideas back then) anyway, through their farm, there were all these walking paths & right of way's, so ramblers always passing through their farm yard. Wouldn't happen here!

caroj wrote: »
    I would think the landowners are probably concerned if someone fell and got hurt on their property they can be sued, so most farmers have public liability insurance and as we all know insurance is expensive.

I know of a case where a member of a shooting party had an accident with a gun (no-one died), sued the landowner whose field he was crossing, he received a significant compensation settlement, so massive issues around it all.

I remember years ago visiting my aunt in the Uk, her friend was a farmers wife (they were actually an Irish couple, Cork born, she was Catholic, him Protestant, their families disowned them when they married in the 1970's, so they left for the UK, bought a farm and settled there! People had funny ideas back then) anyway, through their farm, there were all these walking paths & right of way's, so ramblers always passing through their farm yard. Wouldn't happen here!

afaik the farmers don't own the land the railway ran over or the bridges or the tunnel. I can't say for sure in Waterford but I know that the land for the railway tracks around New Ross was compulsory purchased so the landowners were paid for the land, I can't imagine it would be any different anywhere else in the country.

If the farmers did own the land then obviously they can stop the council turning it into a public walking route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

ttm wrote: »
    afaik the farmers don't own the land the railway ran over or the bridges or the tunnel. I can't say for sure in Waterford but I know that the land for the railway tracks around New Ross was compulsory purchased so the landowners were paid for the land, I can't imagine it would be any different anywhere else in the country.

If the farmers did own the land then obviously they can stop the council turning it into a public walking route.

The objectors/farmers don't own the land.

dayshah wrote: »
    The objectors/farmers don't own the land.

While that seems obvious I didn't like to post something I couldn't be 100% sure of. So who does own it and whats the legal status of anyone currently walking the course of the old railway track?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭yoyo83

I must take a trip down there soon always want to walk the bridge in kilmacthomas looks amazing, i would have loved to see a train pass by, must have made some noise back in the day! pity its closed now :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Anyone know what happened to the plan to open the old line as a walk/cycle way from Waterford to Dungarvan?

Beeker wrote: »
    Anyone know what happened to the plan to open the old line as a walk/cycle way from Waterford to Dungarvan?

http://www.munster-express.ie/local-news/council-wins-landmark-railway-walk-ruling/

I would love to see something like what is in Kilmeaden happen in Kilmac, there some great scenery when you walk along the viaduct.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

http://www.munster-express.ie/local-news/council-wins-landmark-railway-walk-ruling/

I would love to see something like what is in Kilmeaden happen in Kilmac, there some great scenery when you walk along the viaduct.
    Link wont open:confused:

Link wont open:confused:

Sorry, if you check post 16, there a link there too

Did it open for you Beeker?

Did it open for you Beeker?
    No, blank page:(

No, blank page:(

Strange that is, i opened it bout 15 minutes ago and it worked :confused:

• Advertisement

Advertisement