Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First build, gaming/multimedia pc - case+cooling advice.

Options
  • 08-06-2010 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

Sorry foe the long title Ive got a lot of info to cram in here.

So I've never built/upgraded before (except a failed RAM change once) but Ive been reading up a while and have a good few people I can ask.

I have a budget of about €1500 for everything. I only have a laptop at the moment and I can't take integrated graphics any more! Ill be taking this desktop up to college with me September where I study multimedia.

I programs I use include Photoshop, After Effects (and other video editing) and I want to start on 3d studio max or other programs.

Ive got a ton of games I can't play at the moment that I want to be able to run nicely for once. including sims 3, tomb raider underworld, avatar game, Valve's Orange box, Mirrors edge...
    ill probably end up running windows 7, 64 bit, with a nice linux partition.

so down to the components. What Ive decided Id like so far:

Processor: Intel Core i7-930
    motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A - UDR3
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5850 1gb
    less specific details:
    RAM: about 6gb ddr3 ( no idea what brands)
    Hardrive: 1/1.5 tb (depends on price)
    -nice fast dvd reader/writer.
    -card reader
    -Wireless PCI card kit.
    -two monitors, one about 22" second only has to be 19" or less. its just a secondary to speed up multitasking.
    -keyboard mouse(obviously)

the bits I'm less certain about are the PSU, case and cooling.
    I figure a PSU of about 750w will be fine but I really don't know much about them, will they fit all cases?

I don't want the case too big if I can avoid it cos it has to move. Ideally something kinda cool with a clear window. I may be painting it myself.
    Cooling, I have no idea... I mean, Im gonna want quiet, I like the idea of water cooling but I'm a little scared to go ahead and try to do it.

so there is my ramblings

why questions are as follow,

-is what I have compatible, and am I forgetting anything?
    -any suggestions for brands such as hard drives, ram...?
    -Case/PSU/cooling suggestions?

thanks for reading!!!:pac:
    -

Advertisement