Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips to a irish newcomer

• 08-06-2010 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi, I've been looking for some broadband alternatives available here in Ireland(Cork) For some time now and well, I ended up with UPC but had to move out and cannot use their service anymore.

I have looked all over the web for something satisfying, with a high cap and high dl speeds and consistent for that matter.

Smart broadband looked like a good option, until i noticed that the "unlimited" use was no more than advertising "yada yada".

Anyone who wants to give me tips about good ISP's available and hopefully something u can get in cork.

I live at carrolls quay and now we only have a slowish connection with a 30gb cap (included in rent)

It is really a hard time to get used to your broadband here in ireland, while we in sweden have 100mbit internet everywhere xD (For 20 euro per month)

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭harryohh

furis wrote: »
    Hi, I've been looking for some broadband alternatives available here in Ireland(Cork) For some time now and well, I ended up with UPC but had to move out and cannot use their service anymore.

I have looked all over the web for something satisfying, with a high cap and high dl speeds and consistent for that matter.

Smart broadband looked like a good option, until i noticed that the "unlimited" use was no more than advertising "yada yada".

Anyone who wants to give me tips about good ISP's available and hopefully something u can get in cork.

I live at carrolls quay and now we only have a slowish connection with a 30gb cap (included in rent)

It is really a hard time to get used to your broadband here in ireland, while we in sweden have 100mbit internet everywhere xD (For 20 euro per month)

Cheers!

If this is what you want you've come to the wrong country i'm afraid.

I'm currently with eircom 7mb and while I find it is very consistent many would find the 50gb cap fairly stingy.
    Actual unlimited packages cost a bomb here and 250gb seems to be the "fair usage" cap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Generally all ISP's in this country have some sort of AUP on their unlimited packages. Its just a matter of finding out how strictly they are enforced. For example I heard recently that Eircom have started charging for people going over their usage terms, so obviously that out. I was with BT (now Vodafone) for a while and they used to cap your speed if you went over the AUP (which was a little ridiculous as they didn't have a set cap, but would penalize people who were in the top 2% of bandwidth users ~ so if you live in a heavily residential area chances are you're fine, but not otherwise).

Anyway my point is that I wouldn't dismiss Smart out of hand because they have an AUP, just research how strictly its enforced first. AFAIK they are fairly lenient, but I'm not certain as I've never been their customer. It's a pity you can't go with UPC though, I've found them to be the very best in terms of caps and speed versus price. I doubt that dsl will ever be able to compete with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Smart is still one of the best options, if you can get it, despite the fair usage cap. Although the cap is enforced, for the average user, it's huge at 170 Gb a month, and the same cap applies across all Smarts packages. The only catch with Smart is being able to get the LLU access, rather than their re-sold Eircom service. If you can get the real Smart service (ie. your exchange is Smart enabled) its still one of the best value broadband services available.

You can check for Smart availability in your area. If you get the message "You're eligible for Smart Telecom Services" you're enabled, but if you get a message "You qualify for our Nationwide Bitstream products" then you're not: http://www.smarttelecom.ie/line_checker.aspx

Choice of home broadband packages: http://www.smarttelecom.ie/home_broadband/compare.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 furis

Oracle wrote: »
    Smart is still one of the best options, if you can get it, despite the fair usage cap. Although the cap is enforced, for the average user, it's huge at 170 Gb a month, and the same cap applies across all Smarts packages. The only catch with Smart is being able to get the LLU access, rather than their re-sold Eircom service. If you can get the real Smart service (ie. your exchange is Smart enabled) its still one of the best value broadband services available.

You can check for Smart availability in your area. If you get the message "You're eligible for Smart Telecom Services" you're enabled, but if you get a message "You qualify for our Nationwide Bitstream products" then you're not: http://www.smarttelecom.ie/line_checker.aspx

Choice of home broadband packages: http://www.smarttelecom.ie/home_broadband/compare.aspx
    Actually i do not have a phone number, I have no idea what to do know. Im i supposed to get a separate phone line with Eircom or get a phone line from smart ?

This process is so much different to how it is done in sweden so im a little confused xD

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

You should check out Magnet (http://magnet.ie/) never heard of them invoking the AUP.Had them for a few years and never a problem,was sorry to let tem go.

• Advertisement

thefishone wrote: »
    You should check out Magnet (http://magnet.ie/) never heard of them invoking the AUP.Had them for a few years and never a problem,was sorry to let tem go.

Sounds good, but i checked a phone number not far from my apartment and they were only able to get magnet swift package. Which does not sound as some super powered broadband:P

Anyone who knows what to do to actually get broadband to an apartment? Do i need an phone line from eircom first or does it not matter?

furis wrote: »
    Actually i do not have a phone number, I have no idea what to do know. Im i supposed to get a separate phone line with Eircom or get a phone line from smart ?

This process is so much different to how it is done in sweden so im a little confused xD

If you don't already have a phone line and number, I think some broadband operators can connect your line directly. Although the majority of people get DSL by connecting through Eircom first, then switching to their provider of choice. I would say this is the safest, and possibly the cheapest way. If you do this online using the Eircom website, you can get connected for free (usually up to €125):

http://www.eircom.net/productsServices/pstn/

Also, if the line has been inactive for at least the previous 12 months, you may be able to avail of free line rental for 10 months, as well (saving €250):

www.eircom.net/freelinerental/

Oracle wrote: »
    If you don't already have a phone line and number, I think some broadband operators can connect your line directly. Although the majority of people get DSL by connecting through Eircom first, then switching to their provider of choice. I would say this is the safest, and possibly the cheapest way. If you do this online using the Eircom website, you can get connected for free (usually up to €125):

http://www.eircom.net/productsServices/pstn/

Also, if the line has been inactive for at least the previous 12 months, you may be able to avail of free line rental for 10 months, as well (saving €250):

www.eircom.net/freelinerental/

I am most thankfull! THANK YOU !! :D

You're welcome Furis. To find out if the line at your address qualifies for free line rental offer, phone Eircom free on 1901, and ask them if the line at your address qualifies.

Whether your line qualifies for the free rental promo or not, it'd be easier to just stick with Eircom Broadband for the first 12 months anyway, and then switch to Smart or another provider after. There's a 6 month contract for the phoneline, and a 12 month contract for broadband.

Advertisement