Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bicycle safe storage in dublin city cente?

• 08-06-2010 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭

Does anyone know if there is any safe bicycle racks or places in dublin city or the centre of city where its safe to leave your bicycle where it won't be stolen. I was told by the landlord that I can't put the bicycle on the stairs anymore (it was locked to the banister) The other tenents that live on the top 5th floor above have complained, they dont have much to complain about because there is plenty of space. I dont know what im going to do now, I don't have a car, I work at night til 2am. Maybe i will have to move out and find a bicylce friendily place. I would appreciate any information at all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TheNah

this mighnt quite work for you if you finish at 2am, but Dublin City Council have recently opened an excellent bike storage facility in the Drury street car park. you can park your bike there free of charge and its CCTV'd. think it closes at 1am week nights though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

1. Take bike into your room.
    2. Tell landlord you'll be moving out so. Tenants are harder to come by these days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭teaandtoast

cdaly_ wrote: »
    1. Take bike into your room.
    2. Tell landlord you'll be moving out so. Tenants are harder to come by these days...

Thanks very much for your help and information from both of you. The thing is one day, it maybe was last week, i was carrying my bicycle up the stairs and of the tenants who live on the 5th floor the top floor above me, he is an eastern european man, well he was walking up stairs behind me, its a steep stairs, he said to me' be careful the wheels are hitting the wall' i replied to him ' who are you to tell me what to do' and who was he to tell me what to do i am not breaking the law i am not hurting myself or others. He is not the landlord he does not have the authority to tell me what to do but some people are very sad and hateful and don't want to live and let live. So in 'revenge' or what ever you could call it he made complaints to the tenant managment company that my bicycle was dirtying the walls and abstructing the stairs but there was plenty of room! and they told my landlord all because I stood up for my rights because ireland is a democracy I should'nt have to listen to strangers telling me what to do. So thats how it is I have the bicycle in the room now its very awkward and there isnt room to swing a cat in those apartments its very small as it is! I guess I will have to move im very angry and depressed, dublin is a hard place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

he said to me' be careful the wheels are hitting the wall' i replied to him ' who are you to tell me what to do' and who was he to tell me what to do i am not breaking the law i am not hurting myself or others.

It really doesn't sound like you did yourself any favours escalating that conversation. Would replying "thanks i hadn't noticed" been that hard? snide comebacks rarely improve the situation...no wonder he went off ringing the landlord...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

What would happen if everybody starts putting their stuff outside, bikes, old shoes, old furniture. Seems to be the other tenant was right. You can get a folding bike, easier to keep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I'm afraid I support your neighbour on this one. You were obviously damaging the common areas and when confronted about it you gave abuse. Your neighbour pays to live there and is entitled to a high standard. I don't understand why you couldn't apologise for causing damage and try not to so it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

The better response would have been politeness. He did have a point, to be honest, though perhaps he made it nastily or peremptorily.

Try a folding bike, as suggested. I have a basic three-speed Brompton. It costs about 600 euro on the C2W scheme. Someone here recently got a Dahon for 400 euro (I think). Very good choices for apartment living.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

maninasia wrote: »
    What would happen if everybody starts putting their stuff outside, bikes, old shoes, old furniture. Seems to be the other tenant was right. You can get a folding bike, easier to keep.

Yes because the best solution to this situation is for the OP to fork out €500 for a new bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

taconnol wrote: »
    Yes because the best solution to this situation is for the OP to fork out €500 for a new bike.

There is no problem that cannot be solved by buying another bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

he said to me' be careful the wheels are hitting the wall' i replied to him ' who are you to tell me what to do' and who was he to tell me what to do i am not breaking the law i am not hurting myself or others. He is not the landlord he does not have the authority to tell me what to do but some people are very sad and hateful and don't want to live and let live.
    With all due respect, you acted like a complete dick if that's how you replied to him. You were potentially damaging a communal area, of course he has the right to mention to you that you might be damaging the walls. Also, you're storing a bike it a public stairwell, that's hardly a safe or acceptable place for a bike. It sounds like you made your own mess. If you'd been polite and made sure you weren't hitting the walls I doubt you would have had a problem.

Seriously, where's your sense of community spirit? Just cause something suits you, doesn't mean it's ok for everyone else in your apartment.

I'd suggest moving apartments to somewhere that has better bike facilities, tell your landlord that's why your moving, and be a bit more understanding and courteous to other people's needs in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

i am not breaking the law i am not hurting myself or others.

In fairness, locking a bike to the banisters of a stair case could actually be a fire hazard, so it is possible you were breaking the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

Agree with the above, locking bikes to staircases is not appropriate. Carrying bikes up stairs is a lot of hassle, and almost impossible not to dirty the walls which all residents have to pay to be cleaned/painted.

Does your apartment complex have a car park? Even if they don't have bike racks, you can usually find lots of more suitable places to lock your bike in the car park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Agree with the previous replies. You handled the situation very poorly, other tenants are paying for the upkeep of the communal areas also and entitled to have them clean and clutter free. If you're dirtying/damaging the walls then the management is likely to increase their management fee even further. This is seperate to the fact that a bicycle locked to a stair banister is also a fire hazzard and a hindrence to other dwellers no matter how much space. What if they want to bring a large suitcase up and down the stairs or have an eldery visitor who needs to hold onto the banister for support while climbing the stairs.

I'm fully in support of people cycling but you have to select your accomodation to suit your needs which obviously yours doesn't. I'd suggest looking for a more suitable apartment or house, unlike years ago there's now plenty of choice available.

It really doesn't sound like you did yourself any favours escalating that conversation. Would replying "thanks i hadn't noticed" been that hard? snide comebacks rarely improve the situation...no wonder he went off ringing the landlord...

Well it was hateful and revengeful to ring the landlord and complain because he wanted to get one up on me, do people not have any lives to be so bitter and revengeful. My wheels wern't hitting the stairs and it was his big ordering tone of voice that made me stand up for myself. Alot of people especially irish people don't stand up for their rights I do stand up for my rights I have to be true to myself and keep it real. alot of people here don't see the bigger picture.

Well it was hateful and revengeful to ring the landlord and complain because he wanted to get one up on me, do people not have any lives to be so bitter and revengeful. My wheels wern't hitting the stairs and it was his big ordering tone of voice that made me stand up for myself. Alot of people especially irish people don't stand up for their rights I do stand up for my rights I have to be true to myself and keep it real. alot of people here don't see the bigger picture.

You don't have any rights to lock your bicycle to stairs in a communal area.

don't see the bigger picture.

How about this for a bigger picture - there's a fire and someone trips over your bike trying to get down the stairs, injures their leg, can't escape and dies.

p wrote: »
    With all due respect, you acted like a complete dick if that's how you replied to him. You were potentially damaging a communal area, of course he has the right to mention to you that you might be damaging the walls. Also, you're storing a bike it a public stairwell, that's hardly a safe or acceptable place for a bike. It sounds like you made your own mess. If you'd been polite and made sure you weren't hitting the walls I doubt you would have had a problem.

Seriously, where's your sense of community spirit? Just cause something suits you, doesn't mean it's ok for everyone else in your apartment.

I'd suggest moving apartments to somewhere that has better bike facilities, tell your landlord that's why your moving, and be a bit more understanding and courteous to other people's needs in the future.

I wasnt damaging the hall and my bike wheels wernt hitting of the wall i carry it up the stairs. what do you mean by a complete dick just because i would let some big man in a big voice shout at me and i stood up for myself the bottom line is i wasnt damaging the wall and he didn't have a right to say anything to me in an intimidating way. what do mean by sense of community spirit? There isnt much spirit in dublin from that experience of being shouted to by a big man. I dont know what you mean by a bit more understand to the needs of other people in the future, its ok to tell a big intimidating guy to say something to me in an ordering waybecause he had a bad day and wants to be hateful and take it out on the people living in same building as him, how understanding and courteous was he?

penexpers wrote: »
    How about this for a bigger picture - there's a fire and someone trips over your bike trying to get down the stairs, injures their leg, can't escape and dies.

Yea well i know that but all of this came about because of his revenge, because i answered him back and I won't let some stranger shout at me and intimidate me If there was a law on me breathing he would of complained to the landlord to, they would go to any lengths to have revenge or have their own back, if it wasnt the bicycle it would have been something else, if they couldnt find anything on me, they would look for it, Why are alot of people in dublin so bitter, its depressing!. I wonder how he would feel if someone had ordered and shouting at him like how he did to me, I wonder would he stand up for himself

Thanks for all your relpies anyways even if yous don't see the whole picture, it the principle that i have respect for myself and won't let be bullied around by anyone, If it wasn't the bicycle, it would have been something else, anything he could think of to get one up on me. Its people like him that make you those faith in humanity here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Does anyone know if there is any safe bicycle racks or places in dublin city or the centre of city where its safe to leave your bicycle where it won't be stolen....I don't have a car, I work at night til 2am. Maybe i will have to move out and find a bicylce friendily place. I would appreciate any information at all

I just thought I'd re-post your original question with the relevant bits retained, as specific information was being requested.

This thread might give some pointers.

Please try and keep responses helpful rather than feeding upon teaandtoast's persecution complex, tempting though it is. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Lumen wrote: »
    Please try and keep responses helpful rather than feeding upon teaandtoast's persecution complex
    Sorry, I had already typed my response...

OP, I used to park my motorcycle in the temple bar car park at night - there is an area for bikes. It was always open 24hours and was free, I presume it still is.

Lumen wrote: »
    I just thought I'd re-post your original question with the relevant bits retained, as specific information was being requested.

This thread might give some pointers.

Please try and keep responses helpful rather than feeding upon teaandtoast's persecution complex, tempting though it is. :)

Well Thank you very much, I appreciate that alot, its very helpful well, I think im going to get a folding bicycle I saw one for 225euro.

I don't have a persecution complex just because I stood up for myself, most Irish people would let others intimidate them and watch others being intimidated and give in to them and say nothing. I have dignity, I respect my rights as a human being to live freely, Ireland is a free country, a democracy; well its suppose to be anyways and will stand up for myself and say what is true, necessary and fair when another person is turning on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

With respect, the other guy has rights too, hes doing nothing wrong if what he said is true. Do you cycle far, can you not just use the Dublin bikes?

You can get full sized bikes that fold, for apartments. http://www.airnimal.eu/Joey/Sport.php something like that might just be easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

The Airnimal Joey is a bike I'd consider myself, but it is expensive.

Tell us what folding bike you saw -- some are absolute dogs to cycle and to fold.

There's a thread here that might be helpful:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66239272

The OP there bought a Dahon Speed D7, which is about 450 euro. He seems very happy with it anyway.

Advertisement