Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pain/injuries from playing instruments?

Options
  • 08-06-2010 11:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hey all, I am a guitar player who suffers from Golfers elbow from playing with a bad posture for so many years, it is getting better. My hands get sore now and again too.
    Im just wondering does anyone here experience pain or discomfort when playing an instrument and if so any tips?
    Did it ever get so bad to make you stop playing?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Yes, recently. Severe neck pain, compounded by a job where i'm reading (hunched over) 6 to 8 hours a day. Stretches and heat gel usually sort it. Always left side of the neck. If i'm playing over an hour in the evening i'm killed the next morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Pain, injury and discomfort, usually attributed to playing an instrument could have other factors involved also. If you are sitting all day at a computer while sitting with a bad posture etc.

Having said that, on the subject of the instrument itself : it is very important to use good technique for your particular instrument, which includes good posture. Warming up with gentle hand and finger stretches are a great help. Also, warming down is as important. Apart from finger/hand stretches, the shoulder and neck should be included.

I am not an expert in this field, but I have done some research into this, and I'm just saying what I have found to be beneficial.

Check You Tube for neck, shoulder and wrist yoga exercises, and spend a few minutes doing them before and after a practice session.

Hope this helps.... it certainly has for me. :)

Take a look at the link here :

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=593009

While it is mainly concerned with bass, the links given at the bottom, contain a lot of information on maintaining a healthy life generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

efla wrote: »
    Yes, recently. Severe neck pain, compounded by a job where i'm reading (hunched over) 6 to 8 hours a day. Stretches and heat gel usually sort it. Always left side of the neck. If i'm playing over an hour in the evening i'm killed the next morning.

Do you play sitting down? You're just making things worse after work if you do, by straining the same spot again. If you play stading up, back straight, it might cause less discomfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Mad_Dave

I used to suffer from back pain from bad posture if I played sitting down for too long.
    Was recommended one of these orthopedic chairs: http://www.orthopedicchair.net/kneeling-chair.html (mine's the wooden one on the left if you scroll down)

Really comfortable to sit in and forces you to sit upright - highly recommended if anyone else is suffering from back pain

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭PMI

Have just started to get a pain in my left hand between pinky and other finger been a pro for 17 years so play alot so I think it just needs rest :(

• Advertisement

PMI wrote: »
    Have just started to get a pain in my left hand between pinkie and other finger been a pro for 17 years so play a lot so I think it just needs rest :(

Where the pain is felt, might not necessarily be it's source. If, after resting it for a while, it does not improve, then it may be prudent to see a physiotherapist. Sometimes, if there is a problem, it can take years to manifest itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Years ago when I started playing bass and was into funk (Primus, Wooten etc) slapping and popping/pulling, once I did it so much I got a lot of internal bleeding in finger tips, at one point I think one my fingers kind of burst open.:o

AlcoholicA wrote: »
    Years ago when I started playing bass and was into funk (Primus, Wooten etc) slapping and popping/pulling, once I did it so much I got a lot of internal bleeding in finger tips, at one point I think one my fingers kind of burst open.:o

Yeah, the bass is a very physical instrument. Your problem though, could have been avoided by having a lighter touch, and hiring up the volume on your amp. Apart from the injuries you describe, a lot of bassists suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome due to improper technique. As I was saying in the other post, some guys can play for maybe ten years with no problems, then they wake up one morning with problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

just strated lessons this year and when sitting on the sofa i ended up with a pain between my ribs in my back stoppped playing sitting on the sofa - pain went away

just started lessons this year and when sitting on the sofa i ended up with a pain between my ribs in my back stopped playing sitting on the sofa - pain went away

I use an ordinary kitchen chair which has a good back support, when practicing. I practice for up to two and a half hours most evenings. Never had any physical problems.

Apart from posture, another thing that causes problems with guitarists (especially bassists) is the tendency to grip the neck with that of a deadman's. It's usually noobies who have this problem, but not always. It causes all sorts of hand, wrist arm and shoulder problems, and can be serious enough if not corrected in time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭woodsy2

Started playing uilleann pipes a few years ago. A few months after starting started getting some kind of repetitive strain in my thumb from positioning my thumb wrong on the chanter, and even a weird clicking sensation in my cocyx from incorrect sitting position. Ironed out technique problems and now it's all good. Really shows that a good start is half the battle! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭WhitestBoyAlive

A simple things to check, especially before paying to see a physiotherapist -

Play your instrument infront of a mirror or ask a friend to look at the way you are playing

Do you look/feel comfortable?
    Are your shoulders stiff or high?
    Are you wrists stiff or over bent?
    Are you resting a part of your body on your instrument?
    Is your posture different?

Little things your might not notice can put the body out of alignment

Advertisement