Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Board size question

Options
  • 08-06-2010 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

I want to change up from the 7'9" Bic that I started out on.
    I'm 6 ft,10.5-11 stone.
    Was thinking of a 7' shortboard.

Would this board suit my height/weight
    would I get good use out of it or would I outgrow the boards capabilities if my skill level was to advance to a higher level.
    I'm assuming that a 7' shortboard should be able to cope with some aggressive surfing and suit the majority of waves we encounter here but also be a good board to bring abroad to surf some nice waves.
    Basically I'm looking for a board which won't be too hard to step up to and also will be able to perform as my skills advance.

Any info or suggestions appreciated

Was thinking of this board:

Specs:
    7'
    20 1/2" wide
    2 5/8" thick
    Single concave
    looks to have a nice rocker on it aswell.
    FAT-BOY-SLX.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

yea, dimensions seem fairly spot on as shortboards go but why not consider a fish? It's going to be hard going progressing on the shortboard in anything other than semi decent surf.

i've a quad 6'0 fish, 22" x 2 3/4 and have surfed knee high dribblers to overhead and i swear i barely have to pump it, the thing is so quick.

havn't spoken to anyone thats regretted buying a fish! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

gerk86 wrote: »
    yea, dimensions seem fairly spot on as shortboards go but why not consider a fish? It's going to be hard going progressing on the shortboard in anything other than semi decent surf.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. You should have no problems riding a 7' board in 2 foot surf upwards when you get used to it. I would say that the board above looks a bit 'gunny'. You might be better off going for a squash tail or a swallow tail rather than a rounded pin.

Fish can be good fun but they force you to change your style and ride more off your front foot than your back (particularly the more retro shapes).

Just my personal opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Damage

That board doesnt come in a squash or swallow,just the rounded pin.

Its also an epoxy also.

Will the board be poor in the size ranges of surf we get here or will it work?
    Im assuming due to it being epoxy and a half decent size it should be easy to paddle into smaller sized surf??

Personally I think something along these lines would be more suited to a step-up board http://www.powersourcesurfboards.com/bigfish.htm
    Not necessarily powersource. All shapers have a big-guy shortboard or fatboy flyer model. Might be worth talking to one to get a better idea of what you want.

BTW I know its called a fish but in actual fact its a swallowtail shortboard. When I think of fish, I mean something like this
    http://www.bingsurf.com/images/boards/fish.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

I'd highly recommend a 6'2 double wing quad fish like this one from Glide

Comes with loc box fins, best fin system I've ever used

I've surfed fish from waist high mush to 10ft+, fecken great boards :)

DSCF3436.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Damage

Not really interested in a fish tbh.gonna have a look in the shops at the weekend see what the story is.might try to test a couple down west next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bagus

You've given your height and weight (your light for the size of you so I'm guessing you are pretty young).
    You have left out some key info though. How long are you surfing now? and how often will you get to go surfing?

If you get to go surfing every week (all year) then get a pretty standard shortboard. I would think a 6,6 or so would be ideal. Will feel small initially but you'll be fine.
    A board with a wider tail would be ideal (more forgiving going slow and in dead spots on the wave). So go for a rounded square , squash, or a swallow tail.
    Don't skimp on width or thickness either, foam is your friend (too many people waste years finding that out).

7ft is a pretty long shortboard. It's semi-gun length really. In small waves it's a disadvantage if anything. I never surf my 7ft+ boards unless it getting double over head or bigger.

If you rarely surf (and that doesn't look like changing any time soon) do yourself a huge favour, buy a mini mal and maximise your time in the water. Easier to learn on, and a higher wave count.

Study surf videos, watch good surfers, and try and get some footage of yourself. You will learn so much from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

Seconded what the Rat said, highly recommend Glide's boards.
    Talk to a shaper before heading into a "Surf" shop, they'll sell you what they have in stock rather then what you need.

I'd be aiming at a fish like that above or a proper egg and as already said don't be afraid of foam in your stick, its you friend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭gumbynation

my first step down board was a 6'10 thruster squash tail which i still have 8 years on and I still take that board out here when it gets big.
    im about 5'10 and nearly 12 stone but i would have been your weight back when i got that board.
    you should consider irish shapers. i have never seen a tiki shortboard in the water.... jusrt make sure its not one of thoise mass produced chinese toy surfboards that seem to be popping up all over the place.

it depends on your ability and how often you are planning to surf.
    bigger board = more waves = quicker progression. even if it is a bit bulky to turn you will still figure it out and get the technique right, then when you are ready for a smaller board you should be able to throw it round.

not sure about others but i wouldnt advocate tackling big surf on a fish.

my 2c

Why not, as plenty of places have waves that are great fun to surf with a fish in size

This was easky left on a 6'4 twin fin made by Ger Byrne in Sligo :D

181765432_44ed9de8f9.jpg

Some footage of tom curren surfing a fish, in the clip below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCNHv-kJvOk&feature=related

• Advertisement

rodento wrote: »

Some footage of tom curren surfing a fish, in the clip below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCNHv-kJvOk&feature=related

So the moral here is if you are as good as Tom Curren and intend to surf heaving J-Bay, buy a fish :rolleyes:

Otherwise go for a good chunky 7 ft thruster with a squash tail that'll be a great all round board for your ability.

xxyyzz wrote: »
    So the moral here is if you are as good as Tom Curren and intend to surf heaving J-Bay, buy a fish :rolleyes:

Otherwise go for a good chunky 7 ft thruster with a squash tail that'll be a great all round board for your ability.

Don't think I ever managed to surf a thuster in waist high mush:p

Advertisement