Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SWF to AVI Converter (Freeware)

Options
  • 08-06-2010 11:41pm
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Normally I'd post this in Animation but considering this isn't about the Animation itself but more to do with the programs used to convert them I'll post it here for now.

Basically I bit my nails completely off last night as trying to find a decent Freeware SWF>AVI converter became such a pain. I'm not interested in buying one as I intend to use it for one single convertion and not something I'd have use for overall but am open to suggestions regarding actual decent purchasable programs if people know of any.

Naturally most 'free' converters are trials or require registration in order to remove watermarks on jobs which is irksome to say the least and the one free package I did find would take a whole day to convert a 4.5 thousand frame Flash as it converts each frame to JPG and then you need to redo the job converting each JPG Frame into AVI, not up for this as it's likely to be of ill quality or have sound issues and I've little way of proof-testing it.

I don't mind Watermarks as such as I can expand the Flash to a bigger size so that the watermark is in a zone I can later remove with a recompression in Adobe Premiere or something but that also impacts the quality as it's recompressing an already compressed AVI.

I've heard Adobe have some form of package but I'm not sure what it is and, knowing Adobe, it certainly won't be free but I'm running out of options here and wondered if people may just happen to have any clues.

Best and most versatile one I've tried thus far is iWisoft Swf to Avi Convertor 3.4 (best so far / watermark issues & sound issues when converted AVI is put into Adobe Premiere but can be worked around).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

I've always found SUPER to be a decent converter for all video and audio types. It will convert anything to anything, there are plenty of quality variables to control and its completely free.

Download link (bitch to find on the site): http://www.erightsoft.info/GetFile.php?SUPERsetup.exe

Info: http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Don't overlook WinFF.

http://winff.org/html_new/

It will convert anything to anything, even if it doesn't particularly make sense!

SWF is in the drop down menu.

(Free - GPL v3 software)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Yea i dont think there is any. Ive been looking for a long long long long...long..long time and anything that said it could change swf to avi didnt work or it was so botched up it was useless.

However i have been told adobe after effects can convert swf file's into movie i have the cs3 version but i still cant even get it to open a swf :( so my flash toon remains stuck on a swf file.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

RopeDrink wrote: »
    The SWF file in question was created using SwIsH which is a simpler & older program similar to Macromedia.

Good grief, I think I might have used Swish about ten years ago..

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

If you can post a link to the file I can try to convert it for you no probs. Ive After Effects CS5 so hopefully that'd do the trick (cant make any promises though). Sure let me know if its needed anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Could you just get the trail version of premiere pro and adobe media encoder?
    30 day free trial and no watermarke etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

derp...

import the swf to flash... pop on the timeline
    export as a series of BMP/JPG/Whatever images
    import to aftereffects/premier/vegas
    render as the avi of your choise

ye total newb andy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

i dont have flash installed on this machine, but im sure you can export flash projects as avi's from flash

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

I'm not sure if you have it but you can just stick a swf into the timeline of an After Effects project and it works. Plays and what have you.

I assume it works with Premiere aswell.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement