Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to the theatre

Options
  • 09-06-2010 12:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭

I am in my mid 20's and just cannot get any of my friends to come to the theatre with me. I absolutely adore plays and love going to them. But none of my friends are into them at all (Although strangely they love cinema). I have gone to the theatre a couple of times by myself but I find it awkward to be there by myself - Almost everybody is with someone and with all the waiting around, I feel like a spanner just standing there on my own. Plus when I look around, 80% of the audience seem to be over 50. Why dont more young people go to the theatre??? Is it just me that has these observations?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I used to relate this, hence one of the reason I formed my own drama group. There is an elitism stigma often attached (usually unfairly too) to theatre in Ireland. Plus most of the largely publicised productions and many amateur productions are of the same old "done to death" oirish productions or Leaving cert related productions.

But there is still much theatre out there that doesnt do that. You just have to find it! :)

In our group (No Drama Theatre: http://nodrama.boards.ie ) the average age of members is mid to late 20's. We have 2 plays opening tonight (Old Saybrook and Me And My Friend) too and most of our audience will be in that age range!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Delicate_Dlite

I agree, I used to find it impossible to get friends to accompany me to the theatre, or else people would agree when in a "culture" mood, but then I got very lucky and found two friends who also love it.

I know it can be awkward to go alone, I've been there! But try and talk to people in the lobby. (scary I know!).

Or perhaps you could find someone on here to be your theatre "buddy"? (I sense a sticky being created.)

Faceman, I totally agree, and I've heard BRILLIANT things about your group and productions! Best of luck with the 2 latest plays!

Advertisement