Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Price in Phibsboro

• 09-06-2010 1:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi I am a first time buyer and am looking at a lot of houses in the Phibsboro area especially around the Mater Hospital and on or off Phibsboro Road. I am finding it increasingly difficult to judge what offer I should make on a property as the guide price is absolutely no guidance. I was wondering if anyone has bought a house in the area and what they offered. I am considering buying an old house and doing it up. There is one in particular that I like but it needs to be completely modernised. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭TheCityManager

what type of house is it and in what condition exactly.....??
    Ive been looking at houses around there so have a fair idea.........:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

LOOK on daft.ie ,see what other old houses are going for in the area, if it needs alot of work the no of bidders may be low cos its hard for the average buyer to get a loan on an old house that needs major renovation ,ie ftbs tend to buy semi ds or apartments in good nick.

Look also at similar houses in good condition ,what are they going for , there should be a substantial discount on houses that need renovation.
    The most expensive part is the roof ,a new roof can cost 20k plus.
    a surveyor would give you an estimate eg it would cost x amount to renovate it .
    the discount depends on is it just redecoration ,or is there major repairs needed,eg fix roof, replace windows etc
    see what old houses,needing renovation on the north circular are going for.
    houses of similar size condition should be in a similar price range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I think we need examples TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

As a really rough guide OP, if you are looking at houses needing renovation I'd be allowing anywhere between 50,000 and 100,000 for the renovation itself. Take what you will be approved for (assuming it's not around 600,000 or something!), subtract the amount above and there's the house price. Really, really rough, but in terms of a renovation, that's what I think you should allow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭snowey07

im also looking in Dublin 7 have a look at my blog which shows some prices and what they ( allegedly according to agents) sold for

link

• Advertisement
Advertisement