Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning piano by memory

• 09-06-2010 2:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭

Hi,

One thing I have always wanted to do was to be able to play a few selected powerful songs on the piano.

Namely; Moonlight Sonata Part 1
    Everyday-Carly Comando
    Comptine d'un autre été l'après midi

I do not have the time or money for lessons or learning the conventional way.
    I hope to learn by 'Memory', something like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkPqJRMVY_I

Has anyone tried to learn like this?
    If so could you give me some pointers of what to expect or the best way to go about it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭TheBandit

I had a look at that video there and i have to say it confused the hell out of me. To be honest i think you would be safer just learning the notes from memory by watching a tutorial like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyC5FEDIm_k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAZjufMLZDI

Then keep playing small sections over and over until they sound half decent. If you learn a bar(count to 4) at a time, then learn the next one adding them together.

Re: Moonlight Sonata:
    You'll be able to play the first few bars after a short enough time. May not sound the best but the more you try the more you improve. The further you move into the piece the harder it'll get

Re: Comptine d'un autre été l'après midi:
    This is very easy when it comes to memorising as the left hand just has 4 bars repeated over the whole piece. It can be painful to play this as it does require stretching. Keep practising this till you get it down
    The hardest thing about the right hand(excluding triplets section(the fast bit)) is the timing. To play these notes on their own is quite simple but playing with both left and right hand together can be a challenge
    The triplet section is quite hard technically as it is fast and requires lots of stretching. It is also tricky because the right hand is sort of in a different time signature.

left hand: 1 & 2 & 3 & 4
    right hand: 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 4

I say sort of different time signature because it is not really it is just a mental thing. If you play it slowly you'll get your head around it and be able to speed it up with practice. To be honest with you this is the hardest part and will take you months to get if you've had no previous piano experience.

Re: Everyday-Carly Comando
    Never played this but had a quick listen and look at the sheet music. Some sections look like they would be okay, other look difficult. Should be able to get the start after a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

Lol at his notation and fingering!!

I'd recommend just getting a bearing on sheet music and working it out, however tedious it may be. By the time you've figured out all the notes you'll have the pieces practically learned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Good lord steer clear of the "link" ****e.

Learn to play it through sheet music, its REALLY easy to get to grips with. Plus it opens up loads more other pieces for you. There really is no better way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 harmonymelody

Rhythm is an essential ingredient of music. A musician must know how to create alluring tunes and must possess the sense of rhythm.

A pianist can play the right keys but if the timing is not right, then music can be meaningless and unpleasant to the ear.

Here are a few ways to keep steady rhythms:

1. Loud counts!
    Another way in learning rhythm and keeping track of it is counting out loud. Counting loudly makes our minds comprehend the rhythm pattern and it is imprinted in our minds. If a pianist begins to count the rhythm in a musical composition from one to four and then repeats it again and again, then the rhythm begins to flow into the keys of the piano, as well. A pianist can relate the notes to the beats, in the music scores, easily, when he/she keeps count of the beats.

2. Clap, Tap, catch rhythm!

A person can grasp the intricate musical rhythms by clapping one's hands, clapping on one's laps and by tapping one's feet. This is an effective way in learning rhythm. Sometimes the rhythm in a song, changes in the middle of the song. This can be challenging but a pianist or a musician can get back in rhythm by clapping or
    tapping. When one plays on complicated music composition, one can take some time to clap and get back one's rhythm and timing.

3. Imaginary piano!

To get accustomed to the rhythms, playing on an imaginary piano is of immense help. A piano player can select a song and then play an imaginary piano. The rhythms can be played on an imaginary piano. This exercise allows a pianist to understand musical rhythm patterns better. A pianist who has learnt the art of playing on an imaginary piano can grasp the beats, even if the music slows down or speeds up and he can play on time.

4. Rhythm Accompaniment/Metronome
    Do you have a keyboard that comes with rhythm accompaniment?
    This is no doubt one of the best way to keep a piano player rhythmically straight!
    You are probably aware that most piano player are solo player.
    We don't get to play in a band or an orchestra. The best way to imitate an ensemble setting is by using a rhythm accompaniment tool.

Yoke Wong
    Take Your Piano Playing To The Next Level
    http://www.YokeWong.net

Advertisement