Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DIY service

• 09-06-2010 3:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭

over the last few weeks in the evenings i've been cycling a bit more than my 5 minute commute to work, but my bike is a piece of crap. Yesterday i got an entry level road bike from my brother that was sitting in the shed back home for the last few years. it seems to be in good condition but i haven't cycled it yet. The derailleurs seem to be working as do the back brakes. the chain needs oil and the tires are in good condition
    I need to put pads on the front brakes but that will be grand but the tires are both flat. Am i better off putting in new tubes or repair them. I'm not used to presta valves so my technique for pumping could be all wrong or the tubes could be knackered. Am i as well to chuck it into a shop for a service as soon as i get it on the road even if it seems grand to me? Any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

depending on how long it has been sitting tubes may not need repaired - they do lose a little air gradually anyway. Presta valves dont make a difference to pumping - as long as you have a prest pump. If using a pump for 'car tyre' valves then you need an adapter.

With the chain, if rusty give it a blast with wd40 (to clean it only - not as a lubricant) then dry of (keep wiping until all the gunk is off) then put a drop of oil in each link then rub down again. see how you go with that but be prepared for putting a new chain on (maybe 15eur).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Greyspoke

Also, with presta valves, don't forget that you've got to unscrew the top of the valve before attaching the pump. If the bike has been lying up for a few years it'd probably be well worth treating it to a couple of new tubes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Buy a decent track pump. Like a Top peak Joe Blow.

Advertisement