Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Companion Plants

Options
  • 09-06-2010 5:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭

Where can i find a extensive library on companion plants online? Wikipedia has a entry but its not the reliable i feel as anyone can edit it. Likewise the bbc gardeners world website only has a small entry on the subject.

At the moment ive got petunias and french marigolds to repel greenfly, borage to repel slugs and some alliums (garlic and chives in my case) to repel greenfly, slugs, carrot fly and cabbage worms). Anyone else using companion plants in their garden-if so what and what uses do they have?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭hello932

BUMP-no uses companion plants then? guess im all alone then :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Polynomial

Maybe not exactly what you had in mind, but I have a couple of Clematis growing up through a Climbing Hydrangea. The Clematis loves to have a framework to scramble through and the Hydrangea doesn't object.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 SineadFL

Hey,

I have quite a good book on companion planting: it's the Complete Book of Companion Planting by Bob Flowerdew, ISBN 1 85626 398 3. I've found it very useful and has some good tips and guidance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 wildlandscape

Try searching for "intercropping" instead of "companion planting" for more detailed results. It may lead you towards more scientific and agriculture studies made.This might be extreme but you could scale down the information to suit your garden. Most studies focus on good land use and plants that combine well without altering any nutrient for each companion plant ie sweetcorn with pumpkins. cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

OP, you're certainly not alone.
    The whole veg area here at home is run like this, but its not my department so i don't know the finer detail.
    I prefer the more wild nature part of garden.

I suggest you source a book called "Carrots love Tomatoes" Louise Riotte.
    For every plant including Veg, herbs, fruit etc, it list plants that are good or bad to be near.
    Also section on pest control and other parts as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement