Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband for house...

Options
  • 09-06-2010 7:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭

Can anyone reccomend the best way to go about getting broadband in this scenario....

8 people in the one house, all have laptops (figure getting a broadband connection with wireless router?) -no landline service. guys here staying for over 18 months so signing contracts ain't a problem. i'm guessing it won't be excessive downloading just youtube, maybe tv programmes and some music! what are the packages out there? we have foxtel do they bundle broadband in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

Can anyone reccomend the best way to go about getting broadband in this scenario....

8 people in the one house, all have laptops (figure getting a broadband connection with wireless router?) -no landline service. guys here staying for over 18 months so signing contracts ain't a problem. i'm guessing it won't be excessive downloading just youtube, maybe tv programmes and some music! what are the packages out there? we have foxtel do they bundle broadband in?

8 people working off the one router is gonna use up quite a lot of data , you are gonna need an unlimited package to satisfy everybody , because as soon as the download limit is reached your connection will slow to a crawl until the start of the month , and you can be guaranteed that there will be someone downloading movies etc, but when the arguing starts over who has used up the bandwidth, it will be denials all round !!.

not sure of your options if you aint looking for a landline.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

TPG Naked DSL

http://www.tpg.com.au/

You'll need a landline. However, they have good package limits and some of them get shaped down to a fixed rate when you hit them - which is good. I've the 130Gb per month package for $60 a month which gets shaped to 1Mbps up and down when we hit our limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭duckygalway

where's the cheapest place to just get a landline for the broadband?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Oz or NZ, location would be good as in NZ unlimited bandwidths are hard to come by

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

where's the cheapest place to just get a landline for the broadband?

I don't have a landline and I have Optus cable 15Gb = $60 pm

I would prefer something better, but landlines are a pain in the hole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

Last month I signed up for Optus Naked broadband 120GB per month ($59). Naked means no landline, just internet. It's 50GB peak and 70GB off peak.

5 of us in the house and the first month ended with no throttling of service.

Last month I signed up for Optus Naked broadband 120GB per month ($59). Naked means no landline, just internet. It's 50GB peak and 70GB off peak.

5 of us in the house and the first month ended with no throttling of service.

Cheers for this! I just upgraded my old account to this, same price I get 120Gb data!

and I don't need to sign a new contract (The last time I asked they said I did and I planned to go back home!

woop woop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭duckygalway

sounds good to me! what's with the peak and off peak allowances? you leave stuff downloading overnight?!

sounds good to me! what's with the peak and off peak allowances? you leave stuff downloading overnight?!

50 peak (12pm-12am) 70off peak (12am-12pm)
    link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

ducky, have a good look through http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/, you'll find everything you need to know and more. i wish ireland had an equivalent :(

I'd recommend you get naked adsl. I was with internode, close enough to the exchange so getting good speeds, up to 6mb, a download quota of 30gb/pm, for $60. Avoid telstra. I think internode, iinet, tpg.. they usually were good ones to deal with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'm with iinet and have had zero problems with them for almost three years. They have some excellent packages which you can customise to suit your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Between 8 people and unlimited connection should be no problem. You could probably get one of the corporate ones and it would still be cheap on a per person basis.

Advertisement