Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So how was paper 1?

Options
  • 09-06-2010 8:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

This is forcastive tread ;)

Generally how did it go?
    Which texts did you pick? What essay? oh and did anyone who learnt an essay get to write it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seanaor

We havent even done the bloody thing yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

seanaor wrote: »
    We havent even done the bloody thing yet!

Speak for yourself!

OP I thought it went well, not as nice as Paper 2 though! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

So, finished paper!

Thoughts?

I did Question B text 1

Question A text 2

Thought they were ok

Question A part ii I found difficult other than that was ntb.

Didn't really like the generally theme

And for the essay I did Question 5. About a speech to your graduating class.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 MyHair

I thought it wasn't too bad. It doesn't really begin until paper 2 though..:(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

What was the theme?

• Advertisement

The theme was ''The future''

Aye Paper 2 will be a bollix

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Tibbers

I did ordinary level (should have done higher but my teacher was a c**t and didn't let me because I'm foreign) and I must say, it was so very easy.
    The text given was so very easy to read and understand. The questions also allowed lots of waffle just to fill it up if you didn't have much to write about it.

Would be interesting seeing other opinions. Especially from higher level people.
    Some said it was just as easy as ordinary just had to write more, some said it was incredibly demanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Wasn't too bad :) I did Question A Text 2,Question B Text 3. Essay 5 on graduating speech

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Tibbers wrote: »
    I did ordinary level (should have done higher but my teacher was a c**t and didn't let me because I'm foreign) and I must say, it was so very easy. The text given was so very easy to read and understand. The questions also allowed lots of waffle just to fill it up if you didn't have much to write about it.

Would be interesting seeing other opinions. Especially from higher level people. Some said it was just as easy as ordinary just had to write more, some said it was incredibly demanding.

What the hell? It's not her leaving cert it's yours. You should've complained mate.

Healium wrote: »
    Wasn't too bad :) I did Question A Text 2 Essay 5 on graduating speech

How did you find those mate? How long was your speech answer?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Would be interesting seeing other opinions. Especially from higher level people. Some said it was just as easy as ordinary just had to write more, some said it was incredibly demanding.

It's hard not to, but getting other people's opinions can be dangerous. It's nearly impossible not to talk to somebody after the exam (whether in person or electronically!). Some papers suit some, and don't suit others. Don't worry if you found a paper to be terrible and everyone else found it easy.

That_Guy wrote: »
    What the hell? It's not her leaving cert it's yours. You should've complained mate.

Well, when you get told your English is not up to a level enough times by a profesional you start to believe it yourself. At 6th year I got another teacher that wanted to move me to higher level, but I didn't want to risk, too much hassle.

Well, when you get told your English is not up to a level enough times by a profesional you start to believe it yourself.

Should of said ''My perfect is English'' see what they said:pac:

Well, when you get told your English is not up to a level enough times by a profesional you start to believe it yourself. At 6th year I got another teacher that wanted to move me to higher level, but I didn't want to risk, too much hassle.

She doesn't sound professional at all. They can recommend you to stay at ordinary level but they can't force you to. Your choice, your leaving cert and nobody elses.

Should of said ''My perfect is English'' see what they said:pac:

Thank you. I had a laugh.

I used to say 'no english sir' to unsuspecting teachers in third year. Even females, we had so much craic with that. The faces on them when they found out my English was fluent :pac:

Anyways, less off-topic. Want some paranoid people freaking out xD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

How did you find those mate? How long was your speech answer?

A's on Text 2 were the easiest of the three,I think. I spent way too long on them,though.... I wasn't done until about half 10. Wrote about 3 and a half pages total. Essay was a bit crap,wrote almost 4 pages. Went all apocalyptic on it. Said we need to be optimistic because of the sensationalist media,life isn't as bad as we think. Went through topics like the environment and technology,and explained how we can solve everything and live a lovely future ;) It wasn't very flowing,and its not exactly something you'd say at a grad ceremony.... Damn Al Gore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,797 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

how the fúck did some people comment on this at 12:22 and the exam was over at 12:20!?!?!?!? Don't tell me ye left early

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Was not the worst of papers. Texts were fine I thought.

Some of the essays a bit abstract. I did the first one- about experience as a performer...

Me thinks paper 2 wont be so nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,797 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I did Text 1 (B) Text 2 (A) and the Graduation Speech thing. that was easy because I did this a few weeks ago for the 6th years, so I basically copied the whole thing :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭dyeti

It was booooooring. Really boring topics. Paper 1 is usually ****e anyways though.

I chose the freedom essay and ended up talking dialectical materialism and zionism :D

Does 3 pages for a whole question A sound a bit much (basically 1 page for each part of A)?

• Advertisement

Healium wrote: »
    Damn Al Gore

Sounds good. Being negative is easy, everything is bad, everything and everyone sucks. Being positive is hard, sometimes impossible.

In the ordinary paper one of the essay questions was to either support or be against using animals in sport (like bull fighting, where they throw spears at bulls and then finally kill them was the picture for refference). Come on, who will ever write about how killing and torturing animals is a-ok.

You are sorted, examiner will enjoy that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I'm in a bit of a fluster here - I did the essay on a practical guide for young people of life after school. However I read that as life after secondary school but before college - will I lose many marks? I also did it in question and answer format, which is probably a bad idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

Fcuking Delighted!:D

I'm in a bit of a fluster here - I did the essay on a practical guide for young people of life after school. However I read that as life after secondary school but before college - will I lose many marks? I also did it in question and answer format, which is probably a bad idea

You shouldn't do. Sure how would you know what college is like? You couldn't give an accurate guide on something you've not experienced yet.

Sounds to me like you answered it perfectly.

As for the question and answer format.... I'm not entirely sure... If it wasn't laden with questions you might be ok. Usually guides have a FAQ section on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Blerdiii

think that went ok! as a scifi freak was pretty happy about the theme XD did the interview with myself and the question a on fahrenheit! essay i did the neighbours thing really light hearted!
    hope it went well think i may have got a b1 which is what i need but of course we'll see tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

I was really happy with it. Really nervous for paper 2 i don't have a clue!! gl to all doing it tomorrow, i'm off to study!!

For some education ends after secondary education. If you wrote a lot on the college options and further education.....I pity you.

There is no set format on how to write the answers. The less people did it in a certain format the more you benefit. Examiners love some variety.
    That_Guy wrote: »
    You shouldn't do. Sure how would you know what college is like? You couldn't give an accurate guide on something you've not experienced yet.

You are correct if it asked for a personal account. Otherwise you're wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Went great. Part A did the first text on Heaney,B I did the radio talk and the essay i did the graduating speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Done text 1 question A and text 2 question B. Essay one about freedom.

I thought it was tough enough. My essay was exactly three pages could have wrote more but time went so fast. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mwah

there was no pictures to do essays on!!!!
    and i didnt even bother reading boring heaney one lol

Advertisement