Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So how was paper 1?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 iWeeze

I think I forgot to put down the number of the essay I chose

crap crap crap fffff

it was obvious that it was the graduation speech though...

Someone reassure me :(
    I'd say they'd figure that out bud, don't worry about it

kieran--f wrote: »
    Thats the funniest thing ive heard today never have i seen them 2 in a sentence together
    In fairness it wasn't in the same answer....but I am still satisfied!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

did anyone who did the letter to the future ignore the article completely? i wrote about equality, global warming and progression in technology and medicine but looking at the 'planet earth' aspect im a bit worried now that i didnt actually answer the question...

It didn't specify that you had to talk about the environment or anything so you'll be fine... if anything it will be a nice change for the examiner from everyone else focusing on the environment ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tigerblob

Mwah wrote: »
    there was no pictures to do essays on!!!!
    and i didnt even bother reading boring heaney one lol

Oh yeah! I didn't even notice till you pointed it out, and I always do the picture question!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Indigo Sunrise

I hope so...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭stevenfinnegan

did anyone who did the letter to the future ignore the article completely? i wrote about equality, global warming and progression in technology and medicine but looking at the 'planet earth' aspect im a bit worried now that i didnt actually answer the question...

I had a glance at the Text and took key words from it.
    The question didn't say exactly what you had to write about. It said "you express your hopes for planet Earth in the year 2050"
    You could have talked about anything really.
    I talked about peace and wars, global warming, tecnology today and what I think it will be like in 2050, that kinda stuff. :)
    You appeared to have answered the question, so you'll be grand! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭blacklionboy

Did text 1 part A and text 2 part B and did speech for graduation for section 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 _Music_

Hey. I was happy with how paper 1 went! But now doubting myself. I did qA on text 3 and qB on text 2! I did the essay 3 about it was funny but sad! However, I wrote in "I" format! How much does this make a difference? Is it still a short story even though i used I?:(:( Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭namaimo

Would the exam paper be up anywhere online?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

So, finished paper!

Thoughts?

I did Question B text 1

Question A text 2

Thought they were ok

Question A part ii I found difficult other than that was ntb.

Didn't really like the generally theme

And for the essay I did Question 5. About a speech to your graduating class.
    did exactly the ssame wasnt too bad but future was a basterd of a theme to be given

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I'l rape ur grandmother and drink her tears, I AM IRON MAN. (funnily enuff i managed to gt those quotes in2 my essay)

Sounds class

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Fernicia

Hope it went okay guys!
    I'm riding off the success of that to not fail English (paper 2 will be horrible).
    I did Text 1 part B, Text 3 part A, and the guide to being a good neighbour for the composition.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭3_BOoYA_X

Did Text 2 - A ...Spent way too long on it. But went amazing.
    Text 3 - B ...Best of a bad bunch of B parts, when i got into it i liked it though.

Did the article on good neighbours and in a really lighthearted form. Did anyone else do it and be sarcastic?
    ..Is it ok to use a colloquial word / slang in inverted comma's in your essay? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mwah

namaimo wrote: »

if you want pm me and ill scan it for you cause i took it home

• Registered Users Posts: 49 iWeeze

3_BOoYA_X wrote: »
    Did Text 2 - A ...Spent way too long on it. But went amazing.
    Text 3 - B ...Best of a bad bunch of B parts, when i got into it i liked it though.

Did the article on good neighbours and in a really lighthearted form. Did anyone else do it and be sarcastic?
    ..Is it ok to use a colloquial word / slang in inverted comma's in your essay? :o
    Yup, did the whole thing really sarcastically in a step-by-step guide. Had a paragraph on having supplies for when your neighbour has no milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

I thought the topics were a bit too easy to allow us to show our full potential. The exam itself was grand.
    I did Text 2 QB and Text 3 QA. I also did the personal essay on freedom.

It was odd that there was no proper picture question, other than a part (iii) of a question A. Also I would've liked it if there was a diary entry or something. I guess a letter isn't really such a bad option though.

Let's hope tomorrow's exam is as just as easy =]

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

namaimo wrote: »

If it's the same as other years it should be up on the www.examinations.ie website by this evening, under exam material archive.

Sarcasm.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

It was an alright paper but I feel i did badly. Didn't get comprehension done after finishing at 10:30 then only got page and a half done for radio talk and didn't finish my essay. Dissapointed but it's done with now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 kylerr

****ed my timing.....
    did the interview pretending i was kieth richards... talked about influences ..
    did the questions on text 3 cause it sounded interesting and being an art student i dealt with the ''compare and contrast these book covers'' fairly well...
    looked at the clock and it was 11:50 ... :eek: managed to get a page and a half down for the essay .... soooo not feeling too good about that :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Shortsighted

I did QA on Text One, QB on Text Two and the sad/funny combo short story.

QA - I did this last, pretty horrific. Lot of garbled stuff about Seamus Heaney being such a gracious and honest man. Bleeeh.

QB - Did even read the text on this one. Just pure Cheddar really. Nausea-inducing stuff, but generally alright. Most thing I'm worried about is that I didn't explicitly state anything about 2050... more rambled on about the future in general?

Essay - Used a short story that I wrote a while ago, ending turned out a little psycho though, I hope the examiner doesn't think I'm a disturbed individual that spent most of my childhood chained up in my attic :p The connection between the title and the actual story was a bit vague now that I think of it. Oh well.

Best a' luck tomorrow everyone. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭A19B1C12

I think I forgot to put down the number of the essay I chose

crap crap crap fffff

it was obvious that it was the graduation speech though...

Someone reassure me :(
    Did the same thing as you I realised there...

Hopefully they use common sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

For the Part B I did Q2. Does anyone know if you have to put the caption into the actual letter? I think you do, but I completely forgot. How much marks will I lose?

Overall the paper was OK. I got an A1 in English last year, but I honestly don't think I'll get one again this year (I'm repeating, obviously). I think my standard today was probably a high B, but not so sure of an A.

Far less prepared for Paper 2 than I was last year. Really dreading it.

I did QA on Text One, QB on Text Two and the sad/funny combo short story.

QA - I did this last, pretty horrific. Lot of garbled stuff about Seamus Heaney being such a gracious and honest man. Bleeeh.

QB - Did even read the text on this one. Just pure Cheddar really. Nausea-inducing stuff, but generally alright. Most thing I'm worried about is that I didn't explicitly state anything about 2050... more rambled on about the future in general?

Essay - Used a short story that I wrote a while ago, ending turned out a little psycho though, I hope the examiner doesn't think I'm a disturbed individual that spent most of my childhood chained up in my attic :p The connection between the title and the actual story was a bit vague now that I think of it. Oh well.

Best a' luck tomorrow everyone. :)

Haha,funny you should mention that about Heaney,I used the word gracious too,and can't remember something else but I think it was similar

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

It went well. I was shocked to see my predictions come through. I just remember looking over at one of my friends and saw her staring at me. Like WTF... Creepy I knew something on the future would come up.

I did the question A on Heany andy B was like a radio talk but was like 3-4 pages long. My essay was ' is sad and funny too ' something like that wrote a shirt story from first person perspective. Finished everything but didn't have damn time to look over everything in the end. The examiner gave us our papers 5 minutes late - we didn't get 5 minutes extra at the end.

Oh, and global warming was another prediction... Lol and it came up.

My essay was about a guy who loses everything from the death of his wife. He's also a war veteran and at te end I have ' it's funny, and sad " that the horrors of war didn't kill him but his wides death did. It wasn't learne off either... It's my own intepretation of the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

greetings wrote: »
    Haha,funny you should mention that about Heaney,I used the word gracious too,and can't remember something else but I think it was similar
    Haha I said something about Heaney being a genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

moneyman wrote: »
    For the Part B I did Q2. Does anyone know if you have to put the caption into the actual letter?

I didn't. I always thought they were just optional to put in?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭lc2010

Wasn't too bad as far as parer ones go, don't thing we can really complain about it.
    I did text 2 question A, text 1 question B and the speech. Thought the B's were hard enough overall.

Finical wrote: »
    Haha I said something about Heaney being a genius.

And being immensely talented yada yada yada,talkin outta me arse :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭stevenfinnegan

What is everyone predicting to come up tomorrow in paper 2?
    I wanna see if my predictions are corresponding with everyone elses.

Advertisement