Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So how was paper 1?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

I had a bit of a go at my examiner with 'my freedom is pre-determined by You because your grade on this paper will determine if I get into uni or not, thus giving me freedom or denying me it.' Hope he/she doesn't get too offended :L (don't worry it wasn't 6 pages of that, that lasted only a sentence or two)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

I went on about how people spend freedom and why it's important and without it life would be boring and monotonous. Hope I did okay was only three pages...would have been longer but time was up so ended it brief.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

I did 10 pages altogether.
    5 for A
    2 1/2 for B
    2 1/2 for the speech
    Yes I know I did it the backwards way :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Finical wrote: »
    I went on about how people spend freedom and why it's important and without it life would be boring and monotonous. Hope I did okay was only three pages...would have been longer but time was up so ended it brief.
    Crap I think I mixed up the meaning of freedom although I did go on about restrictions to me about freedom and stuff. :eek: Feck what's done is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Scatterbrain

scherzo! wrote: »
    I wrote the most cynical essay on freedom. It might make the examiner lose his/her will to live. It was just repetition of "we are doomed" over and over in different ways. Also, I spelled "enveloped" as "envelopped". DAMN YOU FRENCH!!

My essay was the same way - I pretty much just went on (and on, and on) about how true freedom was unattainable.
    Question B wasn't much better, as my "letter to the future" rapidly turned into a grand plea for forgiveness for all of our worst legacies; modern weaponry, global warming, etc.
    Not exactly the chipper, hopeful anticipation of the future they'd expect. :rolleyes:

The corrector's may take pity on us and give us A's simply to avoid driving us into further depression! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭RetroRainbow

I felt as cool as a breeze this morning, but when I got the paper I clammed up. I attempted several times to start Question A (I choose the Seamus Heaney interview~), but I felt like I couldn't word anything properly. It wasn't until ten where I finally was able to get into the swing of it, but by then I was over a page and a half for a 15 mark bloody question. I lost control of the ball altogether. By 10:30 I was almost finished the third question, but I decided that I had to move on, and leave it. I started Question B, and I chose the radio talk about the importance of books. Radio talks are my favourite out of the B questions, next to screenplays. I thought I did pretty well on it, but once again, time was pushing on and I had to leave it be if I wanted enough time to do the essay. I got about 3 and a half pages into it. For my essay, I chose the first option, about the arts. I wrote about music throughout my life. Fairly cringey, but you know what? It certainly is personal, so feck it. It's over and done with. I started to lose coherency as times pushed on, scribbling things out instead of tipexing, but ah sure.

Gutted I didn't really finished anything, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭James_LWAU

did Ord Level

I did question 1 part B wrote 2 pages and question 2 wrote around 2 n a half pages wrote near a 4 page essay should be enough for a decent mark in ORD level i'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Bill_Le_Viking

James_LWAU wrote: »
    Done Ord Level

I done question 1 part B wrote 2 pages and question 2 wrote around 2 n a half pages wrote near a 4 page essay should be enough for a decent mark in ORD level i'd imagine

Its obvious why you didn't do higher level :D

I'm only messin

Ahhhhh Bill, play nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭James_LWAU

sorry lads fixed now ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭lc2010

Crow92 wrote: »
    Only getting home now, was studying in school. Thought it was a great paper, did Text 1 B, Text 2 A and I did the graduation speech.....

Did anyone else quote baz luhrman in their speech...like wear sunscreen??? lol

Lol was thinking about it but decided not to as I couldn't remember the guys name, instead I quoted from the priest's homily in mass last night!!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Curlyhatescurls

I did Text 1 Question A, Text 2 Question B. I hated the question A but I found B pretty easy, just basically ripping off Al Gore every second line :pac:
    I got 4 typed pages out for the short story on 'Isn't that sad, but funny, at the same time?' It was basically a massive build up to a joke at the end. The examiner is either going to laugh their pants off or go nuts that they've just wasted like a half an hour to read a short pun. :cool:
    I did the EXACT same questions as you!! The Heaney ones were alright-ish, I dunno, either I did okay or I failed the whole thing:/

I am worried. I wanted an 'A' in english and now all my hopes are dashed because I was nervous and not thinking properly. DAMN IT!

I did the short story on the 'isn't it funny and sad' thing and I did it about a dog on the moon. The problem is that dogs don't think so eloquently, and I was doing it from the dog's perspective for most of it and I'm worried they will just not get it and think I am really bad at writing. Oh dear oh dear. I am so worried I did badly. I thought it went okay and then the more I think about it the worse I remember my answers. I don't think my format for the letter was right. Oh god.

Oh lord, in Text 1, the Heaney one, in the part 2 part, when they said 'images' did they mean just something simple like a boy or a piano??? I thought they meant more like a picture, like a snapshot, I did like a picture of man with cattle in the middle of a boreen with a stick and a red face, and I did blind rosie playing the violin with the family in the background dancing, oh my god, was that completely wrong? They meant just one simple thing didnt they....:/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

I answered Q.a on text 2 the speech from Al Gore about Global Warming, I waffled a bit though I know, but I still think it went alright.
    For. Q.b I wrote the radio talk on Text 3 about the importance of books, which wasn't too bad, I'd half-hoped a radio talk would come up.
    For the essay I did the 7th one, about two eccentric/unusual people meeting for the first time.. Let's just say I went overboard with the eccentric and ran with it for about 6 pages.

I'd say our examiner thinks I'm a crazy person because I was smiling to myself the whole way through the paper, which I'm not sure if it's a good or a bad thing?! XD

I hope everyone else had a good paper and Good Luck with all the rest.

=)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

I felt as cool as a breeze this morning, but when I got the paper I clammed up. I attempted several times to start Question A (I choose the Seamus Heaney interview~), but I felt like I couldn't word anything properly. It wasn't until ten where I finally was able to get into the swing of it, but by then I was over a page and a half for a 15 mark bloody question. I lost control of the ball altogether. By 10:30 I was almost finished the third question, but I decided that I had to move on, and leave it. I started Question B, and I chose the radio talk about the importance of books. Radio talks are my favourite out of the B questions, next to screenplays. I thought I did pretty well on it, but once again, time was pushing on and I had to leave it be if I wanted enough time to do the essay. I got about 3 and a half pages into it. For my essay, I chose the first option, about the arts. I wrote about music throughout my life. Fairly cringey, but you know what? It certainly is personal, so feck it. It's over and done with. I started to lose coherency as times pushed on, scribbling things out instead of tipexing, but ah sure.

Gutted I didn't really finished anything, though.
    Everything you said is exactly what happened to me did the same question except for the comprehension. Really dissapointed I didn't get it all done but it's over with now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

I did the short story on the 'isn't it funny and sad' thing and I did it about a dog on the moon. The problem is that dogs don't think so eloquently, and I was doing it from the dog's perspective for most of it and I'm worried they will just not get it and think I am really bad at writing.

I'd say you could have written the dog as thinking quite eloquently, like I mean your dog was on the moon, he (or she's) doing better than we are!?

JK

I'm sure it when better than you think, chin up and good luck tomorrow.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ps3man

For the essay, no1 i did it about my experience at oxegen, will i be ok with that?

I'd say you could have written the dog as thinking quite eloquently, like I mean your dog was on the moon, he (or she's) doing better than we are!?

JK

I'm sure it when better than you think, chin up and good luck tomorrow.

:)
    Ha, oh well...thank you, best of luck with paper 2 tomorrow:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Liked this paper a lot, think I could get B1or C but I know tomorrow will bring me down.

Dis A on Farenheit 451 and B on Al Gore (letter to future self)

A was a bit rushed in places but think it went okay. B, also a bit rushed (Spent to long on first part of A) and was terribly cheesy but think I wrote it well. Did the funny and sad essay. Wrote a story using characters I'd already written about in other stuff 9I lie writing =P) so saved some time. Ending was a little hurried but the rest of the story was well so think I did well overall.

Hopefully tomorrow will work out okay.

Guys don't beat yourself up and obsess over every little detail, you'll just bring yourself down for the next exams. What's done is done, forget about it and MOVE ON.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 MilesReilly

Did anyone recognize that the "fahrenheit 451" left cover was by the artist
    "Ralph Steadman'? It felt good to know and write it down, not like I'm gonna get bonus marks though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Gaga OhLaLa

lc2010 wrote: »
    Lol was thinking about it but decided not to as I couldn't remember the guys name, instead I quoted from the priest's homily in mass last night!!

So prayer DOES work.... nice one!

I did the short story on "Its funny but sad too" but I interpreted it as 'strange' funny or ironic funny and not so much 'haha' funny.
    Now I'm not feeling so good about it.
    I wrote a story involving it being funny that good can come out of tragedy- anybody do anything simular?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

So prayer DOES work.... nice one!

I did the short story on "Its funny but sad too" but I interpreted it as 'strange' funny or ironic funny and not so much 'haha' funny.
    Now I'm not feeling so good about it.
    I wrote a story involving it being funny that good can come out of tragedy- anybody do anything simular?

that sounds good dont worry :)

probably alot better and more interesting than a "haha" funny essay would have been

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Zephyr91

Hapy enuf with mine...tink its a A1!!!

^^^^Those typos were a joke. :cool: But really I'm happy with how it went. High B, low A I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Am I fuked.
    For the composition I did what freedom meant.
    Instead of writing what I think of it I made a character up and wrote about what freedom meant to them. I got the idea from a leaviing cert question that wrote about 5 people thoughts when it cokes t freedom.
    At the end I wrote about what it means to me.

So am I fuked and mine was 2 and a half pages as I ran out time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

where did the vid of yer man on about paper one go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 kiwi205

is it ok that i answered 2 question As? i know i'm an idiot! i did text one question A and text 3 question A and then i did text 2 B and then the funny but sad essay

Oh lord, in Text 1, the Heaney one, in the part 2 part, when they said 'images' did they mean just something simple like a boy or a piano??? I thought they meant more like a picture, like a snapshot, I did like a picture of man with cattle in the middle of a boreen with a stick and a red face, and I did blind rosie playing the violin with the family in the background dancing, oh my god, was that completely wrong? They meant just one simple thing didnt they....:/

Oh no, don't worry! I actually did somewhat similar images! I did one of a rather disinterested looking Yeats sitting on a dilapidated mossy wall staring at a group of men surrounding a cow, a slightly older Yeats daydreaming at school, and the family enjoying Rosie's violin. I imagine most people did the same as us, so I wouldn't be too bothered about it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭dyeti

kiwi205 wrote: »
    is it ok that i answered 2 question As? i know i'm an idiot! i did text one question A and text 3 question A and then i did text 2 B and then the funny but sad essay

IIRC they'll give you marks on your best question A.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 kiwi205

dyeti wrote: »
    IIRC they'll give you marks on your best question A.

Great! thanks :) man i was stressing about that all day when i came home! good luck for tomorrow everyone :)

Advertisement